By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I just downloaded and played Ys: Book I & II for VC

I recently put 20 USD on my Nintendo account because I wanted to gift my friend a copy of Super Mario RPG for his birthday and well, I had some points sitting there begging to be spent.

So, I looked at the popular titles and only one of them stood out to me.

Ys: Book I & II

I had never heard of this game before this and well, I was curious as to why there was a semi-naked girl in the picture.

So I did what any other teenager would do, I bought it!

I just began playing it and I'll admit, I was a bit confused at first. It took me awhile to realize you had to equip your items. >> And after dying a lot, I learned to save every level or so. But, so far it's pretty fun! The music is amazing and the graphics are pretty good for a game released in 1990. I'm looking forward to the cutscenes and more plot.

Around the Network

Glad you're enjoying it. The Ys games were some of my favorites back in the day. And they all had awesome music.

For some reason, I assumed that my items were auto-equipped as soon as I bought them the first time out, and I was surprised that the initial enemies were so strong; I just mashed them with my fists until I was even stronger. Then I was like, "Hm... why don't I see a sword in my hand?"

Hates Nomura.

Tagged: GooseGaws - <--- Has better taste in games than you.

Any teenager or my wife! LoL

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

GooseGaws said:
For some reason, I assumed that my items were auto-equipped as soon as I bought them the first time out, and I was surprised that the initial enemies were so strong; I just mashed them with my fists until I was even stronger. Then I was like, "Hm... why don't I see a sword in my hand?"

Yeah. Once I bought the shield and talked to the Fortune Teller and she was still like "GET YOUR SHIT", I then found out I had to equip it. >>

Around the Network

I'm pretty much at the end of Book II right now; it won't be long before the credits roll.

Hates Nomura.

GooseGaws said:
I'm pretty much at the end of Book II right now; it won't be long before the credits roll.

How long of a game is it?

Hm... Book I took about 7.5 hours or so... and Book II maybe 10-12 more?

Hates Nomura.

I still have the original for TG16 CD. Easily one of my favorites on the platform before I started tapping the PC Engine Super CD Japanese game market.

Great to see this game on VC: was pleasantly surprised to see the CD quality soundtrack and voice samples were left completely intact. All the benefits of the original with none of the CD-ROM load times.

GooseGaws said:

LoL! me too! I was like "I bough everything you want, damit!" after two hours of grinding I desided to look at the stuff i had and was like "OK, here is the sword, sheild and armor. what am i doing wrong?!". I accedintly pressed right on the d-pad and it hilighted the sword, and then i was like "......I HAVE TO EQUIP IT?!?! @#$#!"

This game has GREAT voice acting for a 1990 title, I was surprised at how clear and good it was, good for me non-native english speaker!

Great game, I am glad I bought it =)

^^^ This is what you get for blowing a rumor out of proportion

Chocobo brain damage!!! Here, drink this diet Coke..*runs*

Currently playing :

VC - Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen
Wii - New Super Mario Bros. Wii
DS - Glory of Heracels