By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Eternal Sonata PS3 first week sales > LTD sales of 360 version? (JAPAN)

Eternal Sonata releases in Japan, two weeks tomorrow for the PS3. As far as I know this will be the first tradition JRPG to hit the PS3. The others being SRPG's. So my question is, do you expect the PS3 version's first week sales to be greater than the 360 version's life to date sales? 

The 360 version has thus far sold about 80,000 units according to vgchartz. According to vgchartz, only ten games on the PS3 have sold that much first week in Japan.

MGS4, EG5, DW6, PES 2008, DMC4, DW:G, Yakuza 3: Kenzan!, GT5:P, DBZ:Burst limit, Valkyria Chronicles (78K). 

All of these are sequels or spin offs of popular franchises, apart from Valkyria Chronicles. Traditional JRPG's sell better than SRPG's, so ES should sell better than VC. On the other-hand, it is a port of a game that has been out for about a year. It also had a lot of hype when it released for the 360. 

Personally I think it will sell above the 80K mark first week. PS3 owners are dying for a JRPG and this will be the first one. I think it will also have a (small) marketing campaign. Plus the userbase difference is significant. 

What are your thoughts...?

Around the Network

good possibility

I think it will happen. Just because Japanese PS3 owers will be crying out for a JRPG

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

I am sure it will. Maybe it will shut people up, when they say, RPG's don't sell on PS3.

Seems like a safe prediction. It might be able to break 100k first week but I'm not sure how much hype there is for this game in Japan.

Around the Network

i hope it does so i can laugh

Yep It will IMO. Shut up those "PS3 no JRPGs" people >_>.

Its one year later. It could possibly reach 75K first week for 360 if its was released now, with bigger userbase and all.

But i hope it do well on PS3. Its a good game.

tombi123 said:
I am sure it will. Maybe it will shut people up, when they say, RPG's don't sell on PS3.

No, they say JRPG's dont sell on the PS3. 

As of this moment, they are correct.

starcraft - Playing Games = FUN, Talking about Games = SERIOUS

If it does, it kills any excuse left from XB360 owners.
I have the opinion since more than 1 year, that every JRPG are sent to die on the XB360. Tales Of was the final evidence for me, with the low profile version on Wii beating the sales of the high profile one on XB360 in Japan.
Let's not even talk about SRPG on XB360, they were all sent to die.

These games are huge failures as they are now. The devs better hope ES sells well.
When you sell less of your traditional RPG than SRPG like Fire Emblem, something is not right, and you're sure losing money left and right.

Actually, most SRPG on the HD consoles don't even make sense, except for Senjo no valkyria.