By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Rumor: PS2 for $99 will feature Waggle Controller

@Windbane
Yes I know you can tell the difference between the PS3 and Wii on SDTV. For $600 vs $250 I would hope you could tell the difference on a 13" B&W. Is that difference, unrecognizale to most people, worth an extra $350 to the market (to say nothing of whether it's affordable to most)? Something for you to think about since as I've pointed out many times it's the key to understanding why this video game race is going the way it is. As I've also said, I do hope Sony is as eager as you are for a waggle PS2 to save them from the scourge that is the Wii, I could use the laugh these days. Anyhow, it's been fun again, but you seem to have your hands full with other posters so I'll leave you be.

Around the Network
windbane said:

How about you stop confusing my opinions with being based on pure fanboyism? I plan to get a Wii but that does not change the criticisms I have with it.

As for respecting this forum: seriously, get the hell off my back. This forum is clearly biased towards the Wii. You can't even post anything pro-sony in the "Sony Discussion" forum without Wii fanboys attacking you. In fact, I'm pretty sure Wii fans post more in the Sony forum than actual Sony fans.

I have my opinions on the Wii. If you guys want to pretend like it's perfect in every way then you go right ahead. I do not argue sales numbers to back my opinions up because they don't mean anything other than people are buying them. People also go to bad movies in droves at times because it's hyped. I understand the reasons for the Wii's success but that does not change the fact that it has problems and one of them is not being able to play the majority of high-profile third-party games. It's only innovation is the controller, and LIKE I HAVE SAID, it was obviously a good move because they are making money on it. However, it is not the best control scheme for all games and Nintendo pretty much requires Wii gamers to own at least 2 different control types.

As for being happy with my choice thus far: I am, thanks.

Windbane,

would you mind to read your postings before submitting ?

You are contradicting yourself. After writing this:

-Also, you could just show how cheap the tech is and sell it for cheaper than Wiimote .....

-Again, I say it would be a geinus move. It would marginalize the Wii's advantage.

-Sony would be showing the Wii for what it is: a more powerful gamecube with a new control scheme.

-The Wii is as powerful as the Xbox, and the PS2 killed the Xbox last generation. (Thats soooo stupid, my favorite quote of you up to NOW, i expect many more to come ^_^)

-The hype from the Wii would be dampened quite a bit with this move.

.......it just seems like a sorry excuse to stress you would buy a wii:

- How about you stop confusing my opinions with being based on pure fanboyism? I plan to get a Wii but that does not change the criticisms I have with it.

......cause if it all became reallity no one smart enuff would buy the wii anymore! I hope you are that smart!

-As for my "console of choice," I am not loyal to a brand. I am loyal to whatever console has games I want to play. I've said many times I plan to get a Wii but right now there isn't much to play except Paper Mario, Zelda, and mini-games. I wanted to play Manhunt 2 but we'll see how that works out.

......you might not be loyal brand, but most of us in the forum are! Thats OK, it's our way to show our affections to the big 3, but you don't have to degrade a console or their owners just to claim your superiority!

But if you have to do that (the degrading thing), do it in a smart way, not like this. You seem so biased, it's no wonder all nintys are showing up immediately. They might be kids, but they aren't stupid!

btw. My 2 cents about you being all on your own in this thread, with no support from fllow ps3 owners, even though you are posting in the sony forum:

- You reposted an old rumor, denied by Sony (plz don't bring up the price cut lie as an argument, it's not like Sonys no means always yes!)

- No PS3 fan, who would give you supports, likes the idea of waggle, especially in combination with the name sony

- You are suggestiong to reduce the ONLY advantage of the Wii, just to stop their sales, not to improve the PS3 sales. That's dirty business, i'd feel aversed to like most of the PS3 owners. Sony got that big because of their own innovations and franchises, not by being the best copycat! Sony should do what they do best, creating consoles and games their own way!

sony will cut itself if they would release the waggle.

no one would buy the ps3, nor would people buy the new ps2 because it isnt new.

so imo i hope they do, so next next gen only have 2 companies, makes it easier to pick one like the old days sega nintendo.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

TheSource said:

There was a thread on Neogaf about this where a Sony rep responded directly to EGM and said to "stop making shit up"

Of course Sony also denied the pricedrop a few days ago...

But - a PS2 with waggle would not have the advantages of PS2.  The 115 million PS2 owners without the controller would mean Waggle PS2 would enter the market behind Wii..and have to catch up.  I sincerely doubt this will happen, especially since the PS2 as is continues to sell pretty well as it is.  Frankly, without Sony's 1st party support, and with 20 million current gen consoles already sold, why would third parties support this venture either - especially at the risk of taking resources away from traditional PS2 games which continue to sell quite well.

1st of all 3rd party Would support this because the have to make games for graphical power of last gen anyway (Wii is last gen graphics)

2nd of all PS2 would most certainly have an advantage....only 10% of installed base would have to adopt the motion control for it to surpass Wii sales so far.

Lastly this would not "hurt" the PS3 those that want Next gen graphics and gameplay(AI) still have to choose 360 or PS3. This puts the Wii and PS2 in direct competition more so than now. Why couldn't Sony develop for PS3 and PS2? why abandon the most popular game system ever......In my opinion this would teach Nintendo a lesson if you 're"gen a system and add a feature what stops anyone else from doing that? a $100 motin controller with a bar  would cost alot less than a $250 Wii and lets be honest cost is a BIG factor in Wii sales 

Wow... I can't believe this is still going on. Especially since Sony already confirmed this to be false.

Around the Network
NorthStar said:
TheSource said:

There was a thread on Neogaf about this where a Sony rep responded directly to EGM and said to "stop making shit up"

Of course Sony also denied the pricedrop a few days ago...

But - a PS2 with waggle would not have the advantages of PS2. The 115 million PS2 owners without the controller would mean Waggle PS2 would enter the market behind Wii..and have to catch up. I sincerely doubt this will happen, especially since the PS2 as is continues to sell pretty well as it is. Frankly, without Sony's 1st party support, and with 20 million current gen consoles already sold, why would third parties support this venture either - especially at the risk of taking resources away from traditional PS2 games which continue to sell quite well.

1st of all 3rd party Would support this because the have to make games for graphical power of last gen anyway (Wii is last gen graphics)

2nd of all PS2 would most certainly have an advantage....only 10% of installed base would have to adopt the motion control for it to surpass Wii sales so far.

Lastly this would not "hurt" the PS3 those that want Next gen graphics and gameplay(AI) still have to choose 360 or PS3. This puts the Wii and PS2 in direct competition more so than now. Why couldn't Sony develop for PS3 and PS2? why abandon the most popular game system ever......In my opinion this would teach Nintendo a lesson if you 're"gen a system and add a feature what stops anyone else from doing that? a $100 motin controller with a bar would cost alot less than a $250 Wii and lets be honest cost is a BIG factor in Wii sales

let the thread die dude. It wouldn't work. Not only is the tech not in the PS2 for this to happen, but no one would buy it and no one would develop for it. Why develop for a system that has 0 install base and is only decreasing in sales?

Let the thread die. It ain't happening. 

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

@omgwtfbbq

Expect the backlash to your comments to fuel another whole page on this thread.

We now have enough fuel to last this thread until Christmas.

DonWii said:
We now have enough fuel to last this thread until Christmas.
stop poking the flames!

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

In before Rol says ...

... damnit!