By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Google to launch browser to compete with Microsoft

BenKenobi88 said:
I see nothing wrong with Firefox...but if they can do it better, be my guest.

The new firefox is major crap, I don't know why I updated it. I'm getting this new google browser or Opera soon.

Around the Network

Reasonable said:
Interesting, if obvious. Surprised it took Google this long. So they have a free web based Office compete product now (Mail, Word Processor, Spreadsheet, Presentation Aid) and now a Browser, plus of course they are leader for internet search.

Clearly they want to try and push MS back to the core OS and out of the apps side (as do many others of course).

Tough times for MS ahead I think. They've got themselves fighting big battles with Apple, Sony, Nintendo, etc. with Zune, Xbox 360, etc. (and are far from winning any of them), Vista was a damp squid of a launch and its specs are still too high just for the OS, and now their other core business, Office and desktop domination is finally getting a serious challenge.

They're not going to be happy at MS HQ about this latest assault.

And this is definitely good, while I welcome MS staying in business in all of its ventures (competition is a good thing), the last thing we need is another MS monopoly.

MikeB said:
With Opera being efficient and FireFox also being well featured as well as open source I would rather see Google would design a good clean Windows OS alternative, maybe build on a BeOS (Palm owns the source) or QNX Neutrino foundation to quicken development time.

That's the next step, we also should not wish for Google to get any sort of monopoly though....
Competition is a good thing and us as customers should always want more competition between companies, we're the ones that end up winning no matter what.

I still use Netscape. I refuse to let it die even though its dead

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

the speed with Chrome is absolutely amazing!! its pulling me away from IE (not a fan of Firefox) I used to use Opera, but the fingerprint scanner on my Dell will only work with websites when using IE , so I dropped Opera for IE. But the speed of chrome got me thinking i will be using and actually using the save password option on my very frequent websites

go Google!!!!

I am getting some odd scrolling on my laptop. i can scroll both up and own but its choppy. more like a page up/down effect rather then scrolling

Around the Network

I got this for my home PC last night and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Mainly because, unlike Firefox, IE at the moment, if one of your tabs crashes you can lose the whole lot and have to 'start again' but with Chrome each tab is allotted it's own little chunk of ram, so that if one crashes, only that has to close. The rest remain open.

Main bonus for me that so far!

That's due to resources not being enough to handle all the ads and crap. Since I'm guessing your PC is in fact good enough I think it's something with Chrome and the way they make sure that when you have multiple tabs your computer doesn't completely go kaput.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

@dgm: It's the same with FF3, when you use the touchpad, move your finger only a little and slowly. If you move it fast, it kind of "throws" the scrolling to run. Takes a little time to get used to.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.