By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Good previews....Followed by SHIT reviews?

This is happening more and more...

We get these amazing "hands on" crap from the likes of IGN\Gamespot etc...(especially IGN I must say).

Then.....

Duh-duh-duuuuhhhhhh....

A totally shit review for a game, I'm not a fanboy as a lot of clowns like to think. I will say now, this has happened a hell of a lot with recent 360 games. We get this indepth hands on. So they must have had some damn good time with the game...They tout all these great features and what not.

Then 2 months later they give the game a 6\7, which, in the world of computer games is classed as "fairly crap".

Its bloody annoying, and just makes me think the people running these sites are a bunch of pricks.

What do you guys think, and have you noticed this. I know its been like this for years now, but in recent times its as if they are talking about different games. They sometimes say there are a couple of problems that they "hope will get ironed out with the final build"....But they never do get ironed out - EVER...

The shits are just trying to play it nice to get more ad money if you ask me!

Around the Network

Here's an example of what I mean...

http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/906/906514p1.html

A pretty detailed preview of SH5....I bet you this game will be getting around a 7\10 on average, maybe slightly more...

We all know 7\10 isn't "good" as they state in their "review scale"...If they were as harsh as film critics (proper critics who deserve their pay) As opposed to tosspot teenage gimps, these games would be getting more like a 3 or 4 out of 10.

Gamespot is the worst. They're hardly ever critical in their previews, even if they end up trashing the game later. It's an annoying practice, but I've always reckoned people do this so they can continue to get early hands-on.

havn't you noticed? websites like gamespot are extremley biased, and probaly get paid by the companies that make the games to say that they look amazing at first. also, gamespot is completley biased and wants everything 360 to look amazing, when half the shit on the system, is, well shit.

and ign? they're just stupid.

It is quite annoying, especially as it can convince me into getting a game before poor reviews

Around the Network

From what I understand, there might be some legal ramifications if a journalist gives a bad preview of an unfinished product.

To be honest, I've found IGN to be far worse than Gamespot for this practise. I know Gamespot isn't innocent but I find their reviews do actually clearly say why they marked a game down. As opposed to IGN where its usually just some very opinionated person plonking his own spin on it and not even trying to be impartial.

I also find that IGN will give a higher score than a game deserves whereas Gamespot do this very rarely (apart from GTA4....that made me feel quite nausias after playing the turd).

Here's an excert from the linky....

"Apart from this, I was pretty impressed by some of the visuals. I say some because while the volumetric fog effects and alternate world transitions are sweet, character models are large and detailed, and some of the visual textures are incredible (like blood splashing on the screen when you cut through walls), others seemed a bit problematic with the early build. For example, some slowdown would crop up at random moments, such as with Alex simply running through the fog without any monsters on screen. The same could be said about some of the camera angles, which could be a bit tricky, especially if you found yourself fighting near a wall. However, I expect these, and some other problems to be fixed when the title is released in late September."

Note the last sentence......!!!!

I'll bet my ass nothing is fixed!

Ugh.

Two World Tuesdays that IGN (or Gamespot?) had made me thought the game was indeed an Oblivion Killer...

:-\

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

I dislike this also. I grew to dislike reviews and not agree with them. I play games on my own merits and make judgements on my own.

I'm planning to purchase Bullet Witch for the Xbox 360 next week. It has got awful reviews but the preview of it on IGN was wonderful. Something I understand what your saying. It's annoying and I just ignore game reviewers altogether.

I look at the gameplay videos. If I like what I see then I will purchase the game. Plain and simple.

It's just reviewers are just bias you can't tell if they are being true. They could of got paid to review the game good or bad. It's just sad how reviews sometimes make people buy a game or not.

I'm done with it. After seeing what IGN did with Ratchet & Clank: Quest for Booty for the PSN. They gave the game a 7 something out of 10. I was like what!? The game is only $15, and its giving us a little extra to what the next Ratchet and Clank for the PS3 will be like.

Like for real, so previews and reviews suck, watching gameplay videos and knowing what the game is about is where its at and the truth.

Again don't let people like IGN/Gamespot or any reviewer pass judgement on something and convince you otherwise not to play it.

Judge games on your on merit and play them according to your taste :)

Well it is kind obvious. It is in the interest of a magazine to create hype around a game because that hype will attract users to them.
Also they need to keep good relationship with the publishers ...

“In the entertainment business, there are only heaven and hell, and nothing in between and as soon as our customers bore of our products, we will crash.”  Hiroshi Yamauchi

TAG:  Like a Yamauchi pimp slap delivered by Il Maelstrom; serving it up with style.