By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Comcastic 250 GB limit = Brick and Mortar Stores sales be steady

Yeah, 250gb is huge, I'm on a 40gb plan here in Aus, and three of us in our house (all use the internet very frequently) only just use the 40gb in a month. I don't think people would really get cautious about going over a 250gb cap.

Around the Network
starcraft said:
Ray007 said:
^^ heh, yeah, in the land of Oz a 250GB cap is unheard of. I'm on a 25GB cap, ADSL2+ and it was the best value plan available when I signed up.

Yeah im looking at a 20mbps down 1mbps up 20GB cap per month plan.  If I get it, it will be one of the best plans available in the country, bested only by plans like yours.

How much that gonna cost you? I pay A $10 per 10gb plus about A $40 per month for ADSL 2. So if I download 30gb it will cost be A $70

Tease.

I have unlimited downloads with AOL but i'm sure they'll cap my speed if I download too much. We pay about $40 a month.

250GB is not much of a cap at all for an individual household using it for non-commercial purposes.

I average about 3GB/wk through regular computer use, not including console downloads through XBL or PSN, which on a good week could add anywhere between 2-4GB of bandwidth. That's with regular daily use.

In order to hit that 250GB ceiling, you'd have to download about 8GB of data per day, every day of the month. It would take max bandwidth being used about 9 hours every day of the week to hit the ceiling.

You'd either have to be downloading a new HD movie or several SD movies every day through Netflix, or PSN or XBL, or have a constant flow of P2P files being transferred on a daily basis.

Even if you factored in a household in which multiple MMOs were actively being used on multiple accounts, you still wouldn't be anywhere near the cap.

250GB a month is a lot of data for the vast majority of households. Most will never come anywhere near that amount.

Well here in France most of the people have unlimited 20Mbps ADSL2+... Waiting for FTTH to deploy outside of Paris so that we can all have 100Mbps up and down, for the same 30€ ( 50$).

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
250GB is not much of a cap at all for an individual household using it for non-commercial purposes.

I average about 3GB/wk through regular computer use, not including console downloads through XBL or PSN, which on a good week could add anywhere between 2-4GB of bandwidth. That's with regular daily use.

In order to hit that 250GB ceiling, you'd have to download about 8GB of data per day, every day of the month. It would take max bandwidth being used about 9 hours every day of the week to hit the ceiling.

You'd either have to be downloading a new HD movie or several SD movies every day through Netflix, or PSN or XBL, or have a constant flow of P2P files being transferred on a daily basis.

Even if you factored in a household in which multiple MMOs were actively being used on multiple accounts, you still wouldn't be anywhere near the cap.

250GB a month is a lot of data for the vast majority of households. Most will never come anywhere near that amount.

Yep, you are correct.  And in fact Comcast's cap is much, much higher than other providers.  It is only for torrenters.  Playing games online uses an incredibly small amount of bandwidth.  This does not in any way, hurt digital distribution.

meh, here in Australia we've always had caps on download, and now uploads and downloads are counted as the same, it's to make us pay for torrenting, but any who we don't have an option.

Comcast has about 13 million customers and out of that 13 million they said that 1 percent actually download more then the 250 GB lmit per month, so it seems pretty pointless.

Gilgamesh said:

Comcast has about 13 million customers and out of that 13 million they said that 1 percent actually download more then the 250 GB lmit per month, so it seems pretty pointless.

Pointless for people to worry, or pointless for Comcast to implement a limit.  In fact, they have always had this limit, it is just now being put in the paper work.  The 1 percent cause quite a large amount of slow down for everyone else.

250gb is massive, i know with Rogers in Canada, which might be the largest ISP in this country only allows 60gb. They also force smaller ISP's out of the business if they do things they don't like. They also do other things to try and run a Monopoly in just about everything they do.