By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart Wii: The New Gran Turismo

I believe it will.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
MK Wii has nothing on the GT series. I can not really see MK series being the next GT series in regards to sales. Where are the Prologue Mario Kart games? GT series a real life racer simulation whereas MK series is based on fictional characters. Both series sell well to two completely different audiences.

Mario Kart isn't a milked franchise like GT.

http://www.vgchartz.com/games/userreviewdisp.php?id=261

That is VGChartz LONGEST review. And it's NOT Cute Kitten DS

Rock_on_2008 said:
MK Wii has nothing on the GT series. I can not really see MK series being the next GT series in regards to sales. Where are the Prologue Mario Kart games? GT series a real life racer simulation whereas MK series is based on fictional characters. Both series sell well to two completely different audiences.

I don't think the audiences are all that different...

If people buy PS3s just for prologue or GT (it does move consoles) then that means that they are not as hardcore in other games as you might think. Thus there is a portion of casuals that play GT (actually as has been mentioned above by others saying that racing games are the most casual genre... and that is probably due to the ease of control... accelerate and break!)

Similarly MK has a wide casual base, but the 7M sold on gamecube prove that there is a large hardcore base folowing the MK games.

I would say both titles have a diverse audience comprising of casuals and hard core and thus can be compared on parity relative to sales. The only difference there is that GT3 had no online... and MKWii sales also because of the online...

OoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO

In terms of sales... Well probably...

In terms of the game.....

Wake me up when GT5 has speed boosting mushroom, devastating exploding shells that has wings, and glowing stars that make you impermeable to attacks/bumps.

If all meets.. Then we'll talk.

I think it will.

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
MK Wii is garbage

Mortal Kombat wii?

RolStoppable said:
I forgot to say that Mario Kart Wii beating Gran Turismo 3 won't mean much. By now it's common knowledge that the game sells because it comes with a peripheral.

A lot of the GT3 sales came because a peripheral too.

Its interesting ...

For years I have seen people talk about how Gran Turismo was "Pretty-Garbage" because the game looks realistic and yet you can win a race by banking off of walls and other cars; and for years Gran Turismo fans argued that it couldn't be garbage with how popular it was, and that not everyone wanted the same gameplay experience. Now we have these same Gran Turismo fans who are arguing that Mario Kart is "Garbage" for their own reasons, completely ignoring the arguments they have made in the past about Gran Turismo.

fkusumot said:
RolStoppable said:
I forgot to say that Mario Kart Wii beating Gran Turismo 3 won't mean much. By now it's common knowledge that the game sells because it comes with a peripheral.

A lot of the GT3 sales came because a peripheral too.

Rol used sarcasm while writing that

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints

|_emmiwinks said:
Gnizmo said:
Jo21 said:

kart isn't a GT.

putting it next to GT is crazy.

kart will sell tons, but somehow double it sales  it was after a good period of time i doubt it unless its bundled.

You might want to check the sales of Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart is very much in the same league as Gran Turismo.

They are two completely different games catering to two completely different segments. Sales, yes they are in the same league. But to compair their sales is just this side of silly. Twisted Metal would be a better game to compair it to in the least. You know, maybe a racing game that uses weapons and power ups. Not a Racing SIMULATION compaired to a Party Racing/Weapons game.

On another note, I would think the market share for the party casual game would be a little biger then the hardcore Simulation, wouldnt you?

Gran Turismo .... hardcore .... simulation.......

I know Rolstoppable beat me to this, but there hasn't been a hardcore simulation of racing since Papyrus was sold to Sierra.  Papyrus = greatest racing software company ever (pre-sierra that is).

Edit:  Damn, everyone and their Nintendog beat me to the "GT5 is not hardcore" punch.