By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Mario Kart Wii: The New Gran Turismo

SmokedHostage said:
|_emmiwinks said:
Gnizmo said:
Jo21 said:

kart isn't a GT.

putting it next to GT is crazy.

kart will sell tons, but somehow double it sales  it was after a good period of time i doubt it unless its bundled.

You might want to check the sales of Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart is very much in the same league as Gran Turismo.

They are two completely different games catering to two completely different segments. Sales, yes they are in the same league. But to compair their sales is just this side of silly. Twisted Metal would be a better game to compair it to in the least. You know, maybe a racing game that uses weapons and power ups. Not a Racing SIMULATION compaired to a Party Racing/Weapons game.

On another note, I would think the market share for the party casual game would be a little biger then the hardcore Simulation, wouldnt you?

They're both racers.  They both sell incredibly well.  They're both first party titles.

Why CAN'T I compare them?

I agree the comparison is completely valid

Around the Network
|_emmiwinks said:
Gnizmo said:
Jo21 said:

kart isn't a GT.

kart will sell tons, but somehow double it sales  it was after a good period of time i doubt it unless its bundled.

You might want to check the sales of Mario Kart DS. Mario Kart is very much in the same league as Gran Turismo.

They are two completely different games catering to two completely different segments. Sales, yes they are in the same league. But to compair their sales is just this side of silly. Twisted Metal would be a better game to compair it to in the least. You know, maybe a racing game that uses weapons and power ups. Not a Racing SIMULATION compaired to a Party Racing/Weapons game.

On another note, I would think the market share for the party casual game would be a little biger then the hardcore Simulation, wouldnt you?

I was just speaking sales wise. Mario Kart is an arcade racer if it fits into any genre other than one uniquely crafted for it. I wouldn't agree that the fanbases are all that different. Sim racers clearly have a large casual appeal due to many people being car nuts. They are targetted at very different, but probably close to equal in size markets.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
|_emmiwinks said:
Gnizmo said:
Jo21 said:

kart isn't a GT.

I was just speaking sales wise. Mario Kart is an arcade racer if it fits into any genre other than one uniquely crafted for it. I wouldn't agree that the fanbases are all that different. Sim racers clearly have a large casual appeal due to many people being car nuts. They are targetted at very different, but probably close to equal in size markets.

Let me just say, thank you.  Is Gran Turismo TRULY hardcore?

Pixel Art can be fun.

RolStoppable said:
Oh, you are talking about sales. I was already preparing to flame you big time.

There's a really good chance that Mario Kart Wii will outsell GT3.

ditto

"Let justice be done though the heavens fall." - Jim Garrison

"Ask not your horse, if ye should ride into battle" - myself

Of course it's a valid comparison. What the hell else do you want to compare MK to? There's no other "cartoony racer" where the over/under on LT sales is above a few million. Let alone 15M or 20M.

Maybe folks should view the differences between MK and GT, and their respective sales, as a sign of how the market is shifting, instead of as some sort of magical disqualifying factor.

"[Our former customers] are unable to find software which they WANT to play."
"The way to solve this problem lies in how to communicate what kind of games [they CAN play]."

Satoru Iwata, Nintendo President. Only slightly paraphrased.

Around the Network

the real fact is the wii is the new ps2.

Next Gen 

11/20/09 04:25 makingmusic476 Warning Other (Your avatar is borderline NSFW. Please keep it for as long as possible.)
Soriku said:
  And GT isn't that hard, so yeah.

LoL, maybe you should play the game before you talk nonsense.  And playing on acrade mode with max grip tires with all the driving aids on is not how GT is meant to be played.

you can compare mario kart 64 with diddy kong racing.

forza with gT

i don't see cars in GT5 punching hammer or shooting missiles are of nowhere.

whats next?

super paper mario vs FF?

RolStoppable said:
SmokedHostage said:

Let me just say, thank you.  Is Gran Turismo TRULY hardcore?

No, it's a dumbed down game for the masses. In a simulation you would be able to damage your cars, but that's not possible in Gran Turismo. Well, not yet, but apparently it's planned to be added sometime in the future.

Good drivers don't even leave the track or hit other cars, so they should never even notice if the cars take damage.

MK Wii is garbage