By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RROD percentage rate?

With news of the better Jasper motherboard coming out soon, I was wondering: ever since the release of the Falcon motherboard, has the frequency of RROD declined? What is the percentage chance of RROD on an earlier motherboard than a Falcon motherboard?

Enjoy

Around the Network

"http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148060&page=80

So, 3 of 1,155 X360s on their masterthread are RROD'ed X360s. That's 8 months since Falcons have been out, and 3 dead Falcon 360s. That's rather convincing, no?

Now, as for confirming if your unit is a Falcon, we've been over this a few times, but to re-iterate: you can tell pretty easily, even at the store. You should be able to find the Mfg. date on the box (as you can see the SN, typically, without opening the package). If they allow you to open the package, the easiest way is to check the PSU (Power Supply), and see what wattage the unit has. The old, faulty units ran off of 205-ish watts. The new Falcons run off of 175-ish watts. Therefore, you cannot get a old PSU with a new X360. It won't work. So thats a way to 100% confirm that your 360 is a Falcon.

So there. There are your facts. "

Thanks to MrStickball.

Tease.

It's MUCH lower with the Falcon. I haven't seen any statistics from retailers, but according to the NeoGAF master thread, which had over 1,100 cases of RRODs since the X360 launched, only 4 units were Falcon RROD's...And that was as-of mid August.

So it's pretty certain to say that the Falcon nearly fixed the RROD problem. Ever notice that we don't have any "My Falon RROD'ed on me" threads?

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Yes, my 360 has the Falcon board, I was just wondering if RROD was still a rather big problem. You see, I bought an external cooler for my 360, but it's extremely loud. I haven't taken it off because I thought I should rather have a loud Xbox than a dead one. Seeing how RROD is just about gone, maybe I should take it off?

Enjoy

This is actually a VERY good thread. Ive been waiting to buy a 360 until they fixed the RROD issue. Sounds like with the price drop coming up, its time to buy! Thanks guys!

Around the Network
mrstickball said:
It's MUCH lower with the Falcon. I haven't seen any statistics from retailers, but according to the NeoGAF master thread, which had over 1,100 cases of RRODs since the X360 launched, only 4 units were Falcon RROD's...And that was as-of mid August.

So it's pretty certain to say that the Falcon nearly fixed the RROD problem. Ever notice that we don't have any "My Falon RROD'ed on me" threads?

Lol funny that I quote an earlier post of yours and you come in and repeat it again! xD

@bodhi - Take if off! They are ineffectual anyway, I saw some data that it only lowered temps by something like 0.4 degrees C.

Tease.

Falcons RROD seems like it will end up being 10% or lower, but the board/system needs to be out a good 3 years to gouge if that will remain fact.

Launch units seem to be 30% or higher, and imho will all eventually fail regardless. The good news is if you send in a launch unit for repair, by December you should be getting a OPUS board to replace it which is essentially the same as falcon but without a HDMI port.

It's just that simple.

MonstaMack said:
Falcons RROD seems like it will end up being 10% or lower, but the board/system needs to be out a good 3 years to gouge if that will remain fact.

Launch units seem to be 30% or higher, and imho will all eventually fail regardless. The good news is if you send in a launch unit for repair, by December you should be getting a OPUS board to replace it which is essentially the same as falcon but without a HDMI port.

So, 3 of 1,155 X360s on their masterthread are RROD'ed X360s. That's 8 months since Falcons have been out, and 3 dead Falcon 360s. That's rather convincing, no?

Falcon 10% = false.

Tease.

Squilliam said:
MonstaMack said:

Falcon 10% = false.

You do realise a sample size that small isn't very conclusive if not completley useless.

I'm saying for the long run. It's only been 8 months. When It's been 28 more months then we can talk.

I just hope when the 720 is out it is either fully backwards or MS is still willing to repair 360s.

Right now you can still repair your original XBox supposedly but I'm not sure how much MS asks for repair.

It's just that simple.