By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

fazz said:
Anyway, the hard drive on the PS3 can be swapped for standard notebook HDD am I right?

You can buy a 160 GB HDD for like $80 if you REALLY want more space

You are correct sir, btw, theres rumors of a 400GB 2.5" 5400 RPM drive for under $250 coming out .

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

I dunno I cant decide what to do, get a PS3 which will be $500, or get a PS3 with MotorStorm which is $600. I probally just could buy the 500 and get a different game.

fgsduilfgasuklwgefidslzfgb4yiogwefhawi4fbielat5gy240bh3e

What's with the predictions of the 60 gb being phased out?

If they did that then it would be a stupid move. They need to get the price down as quickly as possible I doubt the 60 gb will be phased out.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

WTF

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

ckmlb said:

If they did that then it would be a stupid move. They need to get the price down as quickly as possible I doubt the 60 gb will be phased out.

It sounds like the 80gb is cheaper to produce (60gb HD aren't really produced anymore, 80gb PS3 has different motherboard/removal of EE chip). So, it would make sense to phase out 60gb, then when it is in low supply, discontinue it, remove the pack-in from the 80gb, and drop that to $499. Unless the 80gb is a limited time offer? Would they remove the pack-in and sell it for $550?

Around the Network
FinalEvangelion said:
shams said:

1. Wait a minute, didn't the 360 Elite technically copy the PS3 in the HDMI port and extra hard drive space to begin with?

2. Also, didn't Nintendo do the DS and then the DS Lite? Isn't the Wii supposed to get DVD support, maybe even upconversion in the future?

3. I have a PS3 and I'm very happy with the price drop news. I was planning on getting a 160 gig hard drive anyway sometime.

I guess all the Anti-Sony people are trying to find reasons to be hating.

1. Regardless - the Elite came out not that long ago, and now consumers are releasing a "new model" that just has a bigger hard disk. Maybe if they don't call it a new model, they can get away with it.

2. I'm not talking about "general" hardware revisions - I'm talking about revisions based on hard disk size. There is a very significant difference between the DS / Lite. There is a slight difference between the 360 Premium / Elite. And there is very, very little difference between the PS3 60Gig & PS3 80Gig.

(I simply think this will confuse the consumer... it confuses me. There is no way I would pay the extra $100...).

3. Good on you! I'll ask my PS3 friends, and see what they say. I'm sure one of them (at least) will be pissed - but then we probably aren't getting this pack anytime soon (in Australia).

I don't need extra reasons to hate Sony.  I just think this is pretty poorly thought out (if true).  Depends how they market it.

It should really be:

$499 - PS3 + game (with bonus larger hard disk)

(and only once all PS3's sold out at $499 discounted price)

Not $599 for "new revision + game", with old revision for $499. 

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

ckmlb said:

Because the price difference between 80gb and 60gb drives are just about nil. 80gb drives could even be potentially cheaper if they are produced in greater volume, which may very well be the case.

How is Motorstorm + 20 gigs worth $100?

Sorry Sony fans, but you can't justify this...it's a rip-off. Just buy the $499 version and be happy.

Essentially you're paying full-price for Motorstorm, $60, and then $40 for 20 gb of storage. That doesn't sound like a deal at all...they should have made it $549.99.

LEFT4DEAD411.COM
Bet with disolitude: Left4Dead will have a higher Metacritic rating than Project Origin, 3 months after the second game's release.  (hasn't been 3 months but it looks like I won :-p )

If they just phased out the 60 GB while keeping the 80 GB at 600 for the holidays then that would be disastrous.

On the other hand, if they phase out the 60 GB but lower the current 80 to its price of 500 GB at the holidays then it's basically just as if we had the price drop and little else and that would be good.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Overall I think it's a good move to cut the console 100 bucks. It's the same console one had to pay 600 for now. I don't think the motorstorm + 20 gigs is worth a 100 bucks, though. They should have done something like mentioned above -- 549 or something like that -- or put a much larger drive in for the 100 dollar delta.

Any guesses as to how MS responds?

I hate trolls.

Systems I currently own:  360, PS3, Wii, DS Lite (2)
Systems I've owned: PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, Saturn, 3DO, Genesis, Gamecube, N64, SNES, NES, GBA, GB, C64, Amiga, Atari 2600 and 5200, Sega Game Gear, Vectrex, Intellivision, Pong.  Yes, Pong.