By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - New Version Of PlayStation 3 To Go On Sale In August

Just got back. Ah, the 600 dollar model is limited edition. That makes a huge difference. Let's see how limited it is!

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

My guess is that it replaces the 60GB (including in price) not long after the holidays (or before them to fight 360). So that package at that price will be limited, but we'll be seeing more 80GBs in the future.

You do not have the right to never be offended.

Bodhesatva said:
Just got back. Ah, the 600 dollar model is limited edition. That makes a huge difference. Let's see how limited it is!

Well, most likley limeted til the 60 gig model is sold out.

I predict another price drop this Year. Most likely Oktober/November:

499 for the 80 gig bundeld with GTA 4.

469 for the 80 gig.

Just_Ben said:
Bodhesatva said:

469 for the 80 gig.

You think they'd bundle with a 3rd party game?  It would be smart, though... 

windbane said:
Just_Ben said:
Bodhesatva said:

469 for the 80 gig.

You think they'd bundle with a 3rd party game? It would be smart, though...

Depends on how it would work, actually. Simple reason:

Putting Motorstorm in the bundle costs Sony 5 dollars (or however much it costs to manufacture + package)

Putting GTA IV in the bundle costs Sony 60 dollars (or however much the game retails for).

Maybe they could work out some sort of deal? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I suppose it's technically possible. 

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Around the Network

When you go shopping for anything. If there are 2 versions, you'll buy the premium version that cost a bit more. It gives you a feel that you've bought the more valuable version.

Now, suddenly, your premium item that you bought 6 months ago suddenly become the cheap version. Sure as hell some people are going to be pissed for owning something valuable suddenly depreciated.

Now, let's say Sony didn't introduce the 80G version. Everything would be fine because there's no "premium"er version. Your item is still the same premium item like you bought 6 months ago, only it's cheaper now because it loses value over time.

It's easier to accept that your item lose value than having to accept that you premium item isn't so premium anymore.

uhhh... yeah, something like that :)

I think the price drop was nice, but not the introduction of the new version. On paper, it's a win-win.

Bodhesatva said:
windbane said:
Just_Ben said:
Bodhesatva said:

469 for the 80 gig.

Putting Motorstorm in the bundle costs Sony 5 dollars (or however much it costs to manufacture + package)

Putting GTA IV in the bundle costs Sony 60 dollars (or however much the game retails for).

Maybe they could work out some sort of deal? I can't think of anything off the top of my head, but I suppose it's technically possible.

Nitpick: Not really 60 dollars, subtract Sony's royalties and probably also retailer profit and game distribution cost, since the game would be inside the PS3 box.

But then people would see that the PS3 is bundled with a game which not only isn't exclusive to the PS3, but also will get additional content on the 360! Surely that wouldn't be good for Sony?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

cough cough Elite model cough cough

NJ5 said:
Bodhesatva said:
windbane said:
Just_Ben said:
Bodhesatva said:

469 for the 80 gig.

Nitpick: Not really 60 dollars, subtract Sony's royalties and probably also retailer profit and game distribution cost, since the game would be inside the PS3 box.

But then people would see that the PS3 is bundled with a game which not only isn't exclusive to the PS3, but also will get additional content on the 360! Surely that wouldn't be good for Sony?

If we're going to nitpick, we should also add in the cost of manufacturing a bundle-specific box (PS3 box with GTA on it), any advertising fees specific to the bundle, and so forth. I probably agree that it would still be less than 60 dollars per game, but it's close enough. 

naznatips said:
Of course it will boost sales a little, but what is with these expectations of doubling sales??? It's not that big a cut, considering there was already a 20GB with nearly the same capabilities at that price that sold so bad it was discontinued. I don't think this will happen to the 60GB, but it certainly shows that $500 isn't some magic "save the PS3" number. It's going to take a larger price cut. My prediction is sales increase between 10% and 20%. There will likely be a 30%-50% increase for the first week on the people who were waiting.

I agree.