By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - FF XIII could be the next GTA IV

Ill put my trust in Sqaure-Enix to deliver.

Around the Network
Rock_on_2008 said:
obieslut said:
gta4 is a over hyped piece of shit. No FF game has ever or will ever see the hype that, that game got, serious man.

as for the reviews you about right, mid 90's.

as for the dissapointment i will agree with you on that.

because FF has always been a niche game that is for JRPG fans. Many people have never played a JRPG and FFXIII is going to be the first one they play. JRPG games are an acquired taste and i think many people are going to buy into this game just because of it being one of the bigger franchises this gen. expecting the games to be something it is not.

So the reason above re why i think many people are going to be disappointed with this game.

We have seen quite a lot of recent JRPGs fallen far short of expectations. SE themselves recently delivered a mediocre JRPG on X360 in Infinite Undiscovery. Could this be the norm of what is to be delivered from SE? Quantity of JRPGs favoured over quality.

Final Fantasy isn't niche at all. It's one of the biggest franchises of all time. The usual Final Fantasy fans include JRPG fans but are not limited to that. Most JRPG fans do not even prefer FF over some other more obscure games.

I expect this game to be better than FFXII but worse than FFX.  I also expect it to sell about 7M worldwide. 5M on PS3 and 2M on 360.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

obieslut said:
gta4 is a over hyped piece of shit. No FF game has ever or will ever see the hype that, that game got, serious man.

because FF has always been a niche game that is for JRPG fans. Many people have never played a JRPG and FFXIII is going to be the first one they play. JRPG games are an acquired taste and i think many people are going to buy into this game just because of it being one of the bigger franchises this gen. expecting the games to be something it is not.

So the reason above re why i think many people are going to be disappointed with this game.

Final Fantasy niche? Those two things don't belong together in a sentence.......unless it's "Final Fantasy is one of the few JRPG's that is not niche."

Edit: Damn........beaten by a minute!

izaaz101 said:
obieslut said:

Final Fantasy niche? Those two things don't belong together in a sentence.......unless it's "Final Fantasy is one of the few JRPG's that is not niche."

Along with DQ and Pokemon. FF series is one of only three main stream popular selling JRPG series. All the other JRPG series are niche games that appeal to the JRPG nuts of the gaming world.

It will sell lots of copies but fail to improve hardware sales?

Around the Network
FishyJoe said:

It will boost PS3 hardware sales much more than it would boost X360 hardware sales. FF XIII on PS3 should outsell the X360 FF XIII by 2 to 1 in favour of PS3. PS3 should also outsell the X360 by around 2 to 1 every week when this game is launched.

In Japan PS3 will outsell X360 in excess of 10 to 1 in favour of PS3.

Rock_on_2008 said:
FishyJoe said:

It will boost PS3 hardware sales much more than it would boost X360 hardware sales. FF XIII on PS3 should outsell the X360 FF XIII by 2 to 1 in favour of PS3. PS3 should also outsell the X360 by around 2 to 1 every week when this game is launched.

In Japan PS3 will outsell X360 in excess of 10 to 1 in favour of PS3.

I hope so, since the 360 only manages to sell 2-3k most weeks and won't even have FFXIII in Japan. So that's not saying much.

I still don't see it being any more of a hardware mover than GTAIV. Any gains will be modest and short lived, just like GTAIV and other similar games that cater to a specific audience many of which already have consoles.

Rock_on_2008 said:
izaaz101 said:
obieslut said:

Along with DQ and Pokemon. FF series is one of only three main stream popular selling JRPG series. All the other JRPG series are niche games that appeal to the JRPG nuts of the gaming world

I fully agree. I mean the last half dozen games (excluding FF11 - a radical departure from the series) have sold in excess of 5M.....not exactly small. Pokemon is big everywhere. I guess Dragon Quest could be called niche......outside of Japan, since 80-90% of the sales are in that region......but regardless, it's sold quite a bit in the last couple iterations.

I feel GTA 3 is better that GTA IV

Highest rated FF on Metacritic didn't reach above a 95 while the highest rated GTA did (other than GTA IV that is)