By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - LittleBigPlanet contains copyright system

LOL MATURE said:
^So if it encourages more people to make levels that didn't think about making them before which means more levels is restricting? I'm sorry but it isn't. I see more content comming from this then less.

Interesting theory.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network

better not be any stupid restrictions.

Sqrl said:
LOL MATURE said:
Sqrl said:
@TheRealMafoo & LOL,

You guys don't see how adding even the option to restrict is a restriction? Ok it's very simple...is more or less content going to be restricted as a result of this feature? I think the answer is a pretty obvious "more". That means that without this option I would have access to more content than I would without it...my access has been restricted...by definition.

As I said before if you guys want to argue that these restrictions will only be used sparingly and only for the good of the community then I won't object to the idea...I'm not sold on it but I do hope you're correct. But please don't sit there and try to convince people that restrictive features are really not restrictive because they are optional. People will have less content as a direct result of this, there is simply no way around that.

@Lafiel,

I don't see how, I never said I was going to give up on the game, just that I'm going to prepare for the worst. If anything pessimism is a survival technique. But really this is an off-topic discussion, so lets just agree to disagree.
You won't know these levels exist I'd assume. You aren't going to have a list of things and need to sort out all the levels to find out which one you can play. So it isn't effecting you not playing a level you don't know anything about. You'd just have to download something else that you will have fun with (Or might waste your time but same goes for a level I restricted from you) In which case you can't be like "damn i wish i could play that level instead" because you wont even know its there.

If I went up to you and just said "No, you can't have a drink of my pepsi"

You'd be like "...Uh... Ok...? WTF? Whatever." You wouldn't care because you don't know what I am talking about because you don't know who I am and you didn't know there was a can of pepsi that you were possibly be able to drink from

But if a can of pepsi was sitting right in front of you and you looked very tempting in taking a drink then I said "Nope it's mine you can't have it" Then I am restricting you

Also you say it's going to give you less content.

A. I don't think so. I think the amount of content you'll have will be so over bearing you wont give 2 craps about some of these levels restricted to you and that you wont have possibly enough time for you to play them all in 10 lifetimes.

You would have an arguement with the "less content" IF you were able to get through every one of these levels and then at the end the only ones left are the restricted ones.

and

B. I think it will give people more incentive and encourage more people to create levels and do it more often being in conrtol of their work. Thus letting people get more comfortable with the idea of putting more content out and giving them a chance to work with the builder more becomming better at level designs.
Ok you're a bit overdefensive of the game so I'm just going to state this and be done:

Every level that is restricted from the community is one less level every member of the community has the option to play.  Even if they don't play every level they've still lost that option that they would have had otherwise.  It is, by definition, a restriction. It's not a debate..just a fact. Period.

If you don't think it will matter in the grand scheme of things (and you clearly don't) then as I've said I hope you're right, but it's still only speculation on your part.   I have no doubt the game will be good but I think it would be better without this, and that part is just my opinion.

I'd like to throw my two cents in even though I'm a little late to this party.

Obviously it's literally true that more created content will be restricted from players (by the creators) than before.  But will the difference really be significant?  I doubt it but it's clearly debatable. 

But, on the other hand, the options available to the creator are now less restrictive.  It's no longer a choice of not uploading at all or having anyone/everyone on the Internet able to copy and access your work at will.  You can make some rules regarding the dissemination of your content.  Some people made the point that it could facilitate putting up games that could only be accessed in sequence, if a creator felt that it was important to that people see its work in that order. 

So is the new setup more restrictive for players?  Definitely.  Significantly so?  Maybe.  More restrictive overall?  I don't think so.

[edit:  I note that your first post, Sqrl, was about how this was another step away from totally open content sharing, and that's pretty much an indisputable fact.  But the people arguing with you were not speaking from that viewpoint, and it seems possible that the debate shifted in their general direction, in which case your case is not so unassailable.]

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

Copyright is never a good thing. I hate restrictions being placed on things.

yeah good adea

Around the Network
Final-Fan said:
Sqrl said:
Ok you're a bit overdefensive of the game so I'm just going to state this and be done:

Every level that is restricted from the community is one less level every member of the community has the option to play.  Even if they don't play every level they've still lost that option that they would have had otherwise.  It is, by definition, a restriction. It's not a debate..just a fact. Period.

If you don't think it will matter in the grand scheme of things (and you clearly don't) then as I've said I hope you're right, but it's still only speculation on your part.   I have no doubt the game will be good but I think it would be better without this, and that part is just my opinion.

I'd like to throw my two cents in even though I'm a little late to this party.

Obviously it's literally true that more created content will be restricted from players (by the creators) than before.  But will the difference really be significant?  I doubt it but it's clearly debatable. 

But, on the other hand, the options available to the creator are now less restrictive.  It's no longer a choice of not uploading at all or having anyone/everyone on the Internet able to copy and access your work at will.  You can make some rules regarding the dissemination of your content.  Some people made the point that it could facilitate putting up games that could only be accessed in sequence, if a creator felt that it was important to that people see its work in that order. 

So is the new setup more restrictive for players?  Definitely.  Significantly so?  Maybe.  More restrictive overall?  I don't think so.

[edit:  I note that your first post, Sqrl, was about how this was another step away from totally open content sharing, and that's pretty much an indisputable fact.  But the people arguing with you were not speaking from that viewpoint, and it seems possible that the debate shifted in their general direction, in which case your case is not so unassailable.]

@Final-Fan

I think you'll notice (and you seem to have noted here something to this effect) that my argument was increasingly centered on the technicality of the issue.  This was somewhat by design, as I was trying to determine precisely how set in the position he was. Not being able to agree with a clear cut technicality is a good way of showing that and by sticking to that point until he acknowledged it I was prevented from becoming engaged in a much lengthier debate without him first showing a willingness to concede a point even if it was only a technical point. 

In the meantime I made it clear myself that I was not ruling out his theory for the way things would play out and that I would (and I do) like for him to be proven correct because it would be a good thing (although I do doubt that any proof will be possible one way or the other). You yourself pointed out just how obvious the point was yet he did not concede it..and so I saw no reason to go into a far more complicated issue with him.

As for the arguments of creativity I do think it's somewhat disingenuous to discuss the ways in which this can increase creativity in the community without also talking about how it decreases the creativity in the community at the same time.  The way a free creative community works is by allowing each person to decide for themselves whether to build from scratch and add it to the pool or build something new onto an existing idea in the pool. Both of those choices would increase the pool thus increasing the total creativity available to draw on. Thus you have a reinforcing cycle. I think reducing the number of ideas in that pool or at least the rate at which they are added to the pool has a pretty clear implication for how it effects this process and it's long term sustainability, and I don't think that there are any obvious ways by which it is effectively made up, particularly in the long term as this loss is compounded over time.

Now one point you brought up was the ability to release content that might otherwise be considered inappropriate without these ratings and restrictions and thus not possible without them.  I think this is somewhat of a red herring issue here if I'm being honest.  I don't believe the value of an idea is tied to the initial (or subsequent) instantiation(s) of that idea (in fact that philosophy is contradictory to the entire purpose of the LBP community).   I don't see how anything you can do with the game would be inherently inappropriate such that it simply could not be done in an appropriate manner and I would further argue that for the health of the community, both in appealing to the broadest audience and for keeping it an inviting and enjoyable place, that keeping the content appropriate is an extremely good thing.  If that reason isn't enough then I would also point out that its worth keeping everything appropriate because it means that every idea is directly and immediately accessible to every member, which in turn allows the system to maximize the exposure of every idea and create the highest chances that new and interesting ideas will be created. 

On the issue of the types of restrictions I think some distinctions are in order.  I don't think a requirement to play previous levels before playing the next is necessarily a bad thing at all as long as those requirements don't get out of hand, but I'm not objecting to that though.  I'm objecting to the idea that there is a box you can check that makes your content available only to friends, or a box you can check that prevents your content from being spread beyond people you specifically give it to, etc...  Those are purely stifling creativity in my view and those are the types of restrictions I object to.

Good point on trying to test the waters before getting into a wider debate. I'm just not sure he understood that you two were talking past each other -- but I guess that says something too.

As for your objections, I'm not convinced that the types of users who would overuse the content locks would be adding much content to the community without any locks in the first place.

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!

Final-Fan said:

As for your objections, I'm not convinced that the types of users who would overuse the content locks would be adding much content to the community without any locks in the first place.

Well the speculative response to this is that even a single idea can blossom into much more.  But the more direct response would be that if it is a feature that is detrimental when overused and affects an imperceptible change when properly used...why have it at all?

Sqrl said:
Final-Fan said:

Well the speculative response to this is that even a single idea can blossom into much more.  But the more direct response would be that if it is a feature that is detrimental when overused and affects an imperceptible change when properly used...why have it at all?

Imperceptible change? Not at all.

lol@ most people in this thread lol

can you close a match in halo for just your friends?
Yes.
do you always find a match
Yes.
can you close a match in Call of duty for just your friends?
Yes
do you always find a match
Yes

Does everyone see the point?