By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Why all the Sony hate?

There are minor things like I replaced my PS2 several times over its life because it broke and my Sony TV, DVD player and receiver all had very short lives; the PSP's marketing campaign really bothered me to because they attempted to make it urban and cool by paying middle aged artists to put up illegal graffitti of the PSP and had a 'questionable' squirrel campaign. 

The Sony Rootkit pissed me off to an unbelieveable level. Sony decided to produce a virus and install it on peoples ' computers who already bought their music to prevent piracy; they essentially decided to screw their customers for no benefit.

The $600 price tag on the PS3 made me laugh. The first rule of releasing a console is it can't be more expensive than about $300 if you ever want it to sell reasonable numbers (25 Million+). I could understand Microsoft attempting to push the envelope and target $400 but they (at least) realized how important the $300 mark was and released the core system. Comments from Sony execs that people would "get a second job to buy a PS3" or they would sell "5 Million consoles without games" reminded me of the "John Romero will make you his bitch!" add for Diakatana and I wanted to see them pay for their hubris.

So, basically I hate Sony because their Quality Control has dropped dramatically while they maintain a priemium price, they have produced virus' to screw their paying customers, and they demonstrat an insane level of hubris. 

Around the Network

I don't feel anything even remotely close to "hate" for Sony, or any of the three console manufacturers. They're all just corporations; I'm not sure why one would feel the need for a strong like/dislike of any of them. In the last generation, I owned a PS2 and a Gamecube; I barely touched the Gamecube, since it didn't have many games that interested me. PS2 easily saw 95% of my console gaming time. If I've bought a Wii so far, it's simply because it has the games that most interested me - nothing more or less than that.

I criticize Sony (and Microsoft, for that matter) not because I'm some kind of raging Nintendo fan, but because I think that they have very poor business strategies. I could really care less about who produces "good" games, as I joined this website to discuss sales trends and the business side of gaming. I've posted at length elsewhere about why I feel that Sony's market share "sell at a loss strategy" makes turning a profit impossible over the long haul. I'm not gloating over this, just pointing out that with Sony's business model, sooner or later they were going to get creamed in the market. It caught up to them with the PS3, which will never turn a profit and has already wiped out all the gains of the PS1/2 halcyon days. The console market is so volatile, it was almost inevitable that this would happen at some point.

Most of my scorn is reserved for those who ignore the massive amount of sales data piling up in front of them, then go off into fantasy land and predict some kind of wild swing in the console race. Such a turnaround would not only be unprecedented, with zero antecedents from the last 25 years of gaming, but flies in the face of all logic and common sense. Yet so-called "analysts" continue to do this over and over again, apparently unable to see the forest for the trees. A class of five-year olds could look at the sales data we have on this site and see who's going to do the best this generation. You know, the console that's sold out everywhere and has outsold its two rivals combined 23 out of 26 weeks this year. But analysts are too close to the source; they will prattle on about HD adoption rates, AAA exclusive titles to come out at ____ date, downloadable content, and so on, while the sales data continues to make fools out of them.

It doesn't bother me much when Sony or Microsoft fans paint unrealistically optimistic projections for their consoles; they're just doing this for fun. But industry analysts should know better, and when they continue to misread the market over and over again, I have nothing but disdain for these "professionals." Maybe this is slightly off-topic, but that's where most of my "hate" is concentrated.

My Website

End of 2008 totals: Wii 42m, 360 24m, PS3 18.5m (made Jan. 4, 2008)

I don't know if I would call it hate, But I do find myself hating them because they are doing so many stupid things. Its like how you would hate a friend or family member if you found out they were a drug addict who beats their girlfriend.

I'm pretty much pissed off at Sony right now because they are doing a lot of stupid moves which is pushing developers and their former user base away, while at the same time acting so f*cken full of themselves that they think they could crap in a box, call it the PS3, charge $1000 for it and people would still buy it.

Sony uses to be a brand name of quality products, but now its the name of cheap sh!t to me. I have gone thought 3 PS2, 2 PSPs, 2 Sony DVD-RWs and a Sony TV all with in the last 5 years.

I had a Sony TV that lasted nearly 20 years, then when I replaced it the new one barely lasted 2.

Their constant bashing of other companies also doesn't help.

Its not just the game department that has pissed me off, its Sony as a whole. I miss the days of when Sony actually cared about their product instead of now when all they care about is taking your money.

I could write a long post about all the crap Sony has been doing that has really pushed me away from supporting them any more. But I really don't feel like doing that right now.

Currently playing:
Wii: MySims | Xbox360: Halo3 / Pac-Man C.E | DS: Scurge | PSP: Ghost in the Shell

"Lesbians, Better then eMail."
~Lanky Man - My Big Fat Independent Movie

Anything than gains major success will also gain their share of hate. The two most successful consoles ever were the PS1 and PS2, and in my opinion they deserved their success. It's in good part jelousy. And the continued hate from some I think comes from a fear from some than the PS3 is a sleeping giant that could eventually crush their precious 360 in worldwide sales. Although the Lik-Sang issue is one area I can understand some hate going to Sony. But I don't think that's the issue with a majoriy of these Sony hating freaks.

If we get down to the core reason for all the *dislike* its probably just the PRICE. Its very easy to attach arrogance with that price.

See, if you break it down to its pieces you get a good value (PS3 + BD player + free online(for now)) but it still causes sticker shock when looked at from the general publics viewpoint, and even from the hardcore gamers viewpoint where the benefits of that extra 'technology' arent being realized (yet). Sony didnt help much when they opened their mouths a few times and said some pretty...umm...confident things.

Also, on the side, alot of people believe Sony is using the PS3 to win the dvd format war. This will probably incite alot of negative feelings too because people see it as a 'big corporation forcing their format on everyone'. This is probably true, but its also smart and should pay off nicely for them in the long haul.   

PS360 ftw!

Currently playing..........

Gears of War 2, GTA IV Lost and Damned, Little Big Planet (Yes I said I had no interest but my girl wanted to try it and we did and now Im hooked )

Around the Network

I think its not hating sony itself but more the ps3. i don't hate it, i just like the games on the other consoles better.

life isn't complicated, just face it simple.

GotchayeX said:

First, the price is absurd. If I were willing to shell out $600 for a console, I'd just go all the way and pick up a gaming PC. Not only are the graphics better, the games are cheaper, I don't need controllers, and I can actually put the machine's power to use for non-gaming, and somewhat profitable, applications. Running Linux just doesn't cut it.

First I want to comment on that, I think that's an absurd thing to say because a video card for gaming to play those games with the best graphics and performance costs $600 or even $800 (the 8800 GTX and Ultra). Not to mention that CPU to be able to make use of that awesome video card will cost around $1000 (Core 2 Extreme 6800). Those are just two components, there are many more things you'd have to buy for that gaming PC too that would probably run you up to $2000-3000+ and $600 vs $3000 (not even sure if that covers monitor(s) to make use of all that power either)???

Anyway, I don't have that much hate for Sony. I think some of the things they've done have been kind of weird, but I haven't really experienced many problems with their products. For example, my SCPH-1001 PS1 and my 'fat' v3 PS2 work and the only real problem I've had with them is when my sister (probably around 5 at the time) or our dog stepped on the PS1 and my PS2 fell off a bookshelf when my friend sat on the controller wire.

I was going to wait after the PS3 came out to compare the 360 and PS3, but our old TV's light tube was dying and we needed to replace it. Once we decided that we'd go for an HDTV, my view started to change to the PS3 more (I was still worried about 360's breaking down too). With other costs too, we saw the PS3 as having everything in one as opposed to getting the minimum and buying everything else. 

I don't know, I think the hate is interesting because the people I've shown my PS3 too have been impressed and thought it was cool. I think we're all more laid back because instead of bashing the hell out of the systems, we all just hang out and play them, I have friends with a Wii and others with a 360 so I can game all I want.

@ robjoh

I don't want gaiming to be luxury item, I want it to be mainstream.

I don't consider any gaming console to be a primary need. IMO even the Nintendo DS or Gameboy Advance are luxury goods. The PS3 price will come down eventually, maybe at the point they release a cheap slimline version you will feel happy about the initial futureproof PS3 specs and probably a good amount of older PS3 titles could be bought at budget prices and likewise Blu-Ray movies will be available at cheaper prices.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Parokki said:
I'm not sure if I hate Sony, but definitely dislike the company. They've repeatedly treated their customers like shit, and they're taking gaming in a very, very bad direction.

When has sony treated someone like shit? Ive never hated sony even back when I was a nintendo fanboy I was enjoyed there consoles, theyve never ripped anyone off the only people riping you of is microsoft.

mM
MikeB said:
@ robjoh

I am upset over several thing sony has done with the PS3 launch in EU. The number one thing is that it almost cost 900 USD with tax in Sweden, as the number one brand a move like that could destroy the step gaiming have done during the PS2 era to become mainstream.

But is the price really a reason to be upset of Sony? You may not be able to afford a Mercedes, but there are other people who are. I really like the PS3 for shooting high with its specifications, it's quite a steal here in the Netherlands. All this technology for just 600 Euro.

I think there's no real reason to be truly upset with Sony regarding the PS3's price point. They still sell the PS2 for people who don't care about these extra's, but even the much cheaper PS2 is just a luxury device. Nobody demands you to buy them.

Why must people continue to use poor car references? The PS3 is not a Mercedes. The PS3 is twice the initial price of the PS2. That would be like Honda releasing the new Civic for $40,000 instead of $20,000. It doesn't matter what they would have added to the $40,000 Civic, its still a Civic. The PS3 is video game console. They can throw in all the extra's they like but the bottom line is that its a game console and $600 price tag made the ridiculous $400 price tag for the 360 seem reasonable in comparison. How can the most expensive game console be a steal when its game library is not only inferior to the 360 but its library continues to lose exclusives to the 360. The PS3 is the antithesis of the PS1. Thats why its faltering so badly. Sony like Nintendo before them is telling the gamer what they want instead of giving the gamer what they want.