By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - "13 year old Dutch boy sues Microsoft"

Well sounds like Holland is following the footsteps of the USA. USA sues people for anything over there. But suing MS good luck. lol. They have no chance of winning a court action against MS.
Well it is the principle right? I would give up on the console and buy a Ps3.

Around the Network
Hapimeses said:
MikeB said:

@ Hapimeses

Microsoft uses many different drives, but particularly one model is well known to be extra prone to disc scratching. But not everyone who suffers from disc scratching issues has this drive. Most scratches are minor, but accumulate over time and then cause problems. Some scratches are the notorious deeply carved circle, which is usually caused by console movement.

The problem is also the speed at which DVDs have to spin inside the 360, they are originally PC drives and on the PC they aren't continuously used for playing DVD based games. A slight movement of the console can cause disc scratches and isn't covered by warranty according to Microsoft (So IMO not really a console suitable for small kids or for areas enduring turbulence). Over time DVD drives continuously spinning at such speed will wear, screws may loosen causing more vibration causing more problems, etc.

Well, assuming that is all true, I will definitely not buy a 360. I have two young kids, and they move about a great deal. Vibration central, here, and occassionally things get knocked. If the above really does cause scratched DVDs, most of mine would be screwed in a few months for certain.

Not cool.

However, this could possibly be a bit of anti-MS bias. All of the big companies have their detractors, and it is easy for such people to latch onto a few bad stories and inflate them somewhat. Is there anyone with kids and 360s out there who can confirm this? If so, do your kids do the following (or similar):

My 4-year old plays our PS3 a great deal. It has loads of games she can play, and she does so frequently. She loads the machine with the BDs (which don't scratch at all, I hear -- is that true? If not, I'll have her be far more careful, but I've had no issues so far), and plays with ease. She can easily remove the BDs as well, and puts them away in their boxes with care. Obviuously, HDD games require no loading or unloading, so there is no issue here -- she just selects them on the XMB. When playing, she sometimes bounces about a bit, especially when playing games that use the SIXAXIS, or when playing platform games (such as Ratchet and Clank, or the Lego games).

Could she do that safely with a 360? What do you say 360 owners? Is the problem overblown?

I don't see why the X360 would pose any problems, if your 4 y/o can already deal with a PS3.

I've had my X360 since launch day - November 22nd, 2008. Mine gets far more abuse than the typical Xbox 360: I youth pastor, and I use the X360 extensively for gaming, and my fiancee enjoys playing JRPGs on my X360 as well. Because of this, I can easily say that I've packed the X360 up more than 100+ times for transport. And the way I transport isn't very awesome either - it involves putting everything in a box....Nothing special.

Despite that, and the thousands (and I do mean over 1,000) of people that have played on my Xbox 360, racking up tens of thousands of hours, I've had 2 problems:

1 RROD (March 23rd, 2007, after playing Superman Returns, and while loading Perfect Dark Zero)

1 Disc Scratch (Rock Band, Feburary 23rd, 2008) - Due to a person moving my X360 around while the disc was in the machine.

1 Plug & Charge Kit dead (at least I think it is now).

In my case, the RROD wasn't my fault, and the Disc scatch was due to someone being dumb with my X360. It's been used by people ages 7-30, so I think that there have been plenty of possibilites to cause more issues than what's been there. So your 4 y/o would be fine.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

MikeB said:

To the boy's defense, disc scratching on the 360 is not a rarity. Some recent quotes from just VGChartz members, just the first 20 comments from 20 unique individuals I came across:

1) segajon (08/07/2008): "I put the game in it started to load and bam I heard an akward noise. I opened the disc tray and the game was correctly placed in it so I know it wasn't my fault. The disc now has a wonderful circular scratch all round the disc."

2) kutasek (08/07/2008): "The same thing happen to me with mass effect. It scratched my disc and then I've returned it to my local shop and after getting another copy of the game, it got scratched again by my xbox so i've changed the game for uncharted."

3) bbsin (08/07/2008): "Happened to my MassEffect dvd (360 was horizontal), the sound reminded me of a fax machine. Use a DVD lens cleaner, it should prevent your 360 from scrathing disks again."

4) youjiro (07/6/2008): "... or more accurately i should say my games. Over the last couple of weeks my 360 has turned into a serial killer and started to kill off some of my games. I bought a couple of xboxs games not too long ago and didn't have a chance to play them until recently. first it happend with saints row, a friend came over and wanted to have a go at it, we played for a bit and left it for a couple days. the next time i tried to play it again it didn't go past one of the loading screens, no matter how much I try it it doesn't go past the loading screen. This also happend with kameo a couple of days ago, same problem, doesn't go past any loading screen, and i also tried to load lost odyessy disc 1 and the same problem happend, altough when I load my currect disc 4 it was fine, and all my other games are fine... for now."

6) flagship (07/06/2008): "I've had this same problem with xbox games, Oblivion and Mass Effect. For some reason my 360 loves to scratch up those games while everything else remaind undamaged."

7) Riachu (08/10/2008): "The disks get scratched like that if you move the 360 while the 360 is running and the disk is still in there. That's happen to me twice. First for Guitar Hero II and again for Rock Band"

8) outlawauron (08/11/2008): "Happened to my Gears disc too."

9) elgefe02 (06/19/2008): "My Xbox just scratched my Marvel Ultimate.... I hate that machine... well not really"

10) CaptainPrefrences (03/05/2008): "when i had my xbox 360 last year, it made a circular ring scratch on my gears of war and halo 3 disc. i was so pissed, and in january i sold my 360 and picked up a 40gb ps3. i cant tell you now i can see my face like a mirror in my ps3 cod4 disc."

11) Dianko (03-05-2008):"Assassins Creed completely destroyed. I know the pain of the scratch, furious maiden that she is."

12) WaSuMaRa: (03/05/2008) "Yep it has happened to me, actually 2 out of my 3 games I have have been scratched (But it was because my dog came running in and tumbled down my xbox while I had it in vertical position, and the first time I didnt know and I moved the console and it got scratched)"

13) Astrodust: (03/05/2008) "My first 360 did. I'm onto an elite now with no problems. Knock on wood."

14) Saddle (03/05/2008): "Yes, my previous Xbox360 has. It scratched my Halo3, but Microsoft gave me a new one, when I send my Xbox to repair and they change the DVD-drive. I haven't had problems after that. My brother's 360 just scratched his Devil May Cry 4, and Microsoft isn't gonna compensate it. Now he's trying to get a new one from the store where he bought that...Hope that works."

15) yungmagic09 (03/05/2008): "My madden 07 and oblivion but that's it."

16) __XBrawlX__ (03/05/2008): "^Same here

My friends have had discs that are non readable because their 360 scratched them."

17) coolestguyever (05/11/2008): "I was enjoying a nice gaming session of some GTA4 and what do you know? my 360 starts making a funny sound, then i get a message saying disk is unreadable. I take out the disk and look at it...and its scratched to shit."

18) OT7 (05/11/2008): "Well,if this gives you some consolation,you're not alone in this,a friend's 360 scratch his Dead Rising disk,and another one his Halo 3,the sad thing is all of us live in Mexico and the warranty is a shit in my country,so they had to bought another copies."

19) Dallinor (05/11/2008): "Well that's certainly annoying.

A friend of mine had his Gears Of War CD scratched to pieces, I think he might have tried to move his 360 while he was playing it though."

20) Strategyking92 (05/11/2008): "actually, just yesterday I did the same thing and one of my favorite games (crackdown) got a cirlce around it and now it's unplayable."

Did you actually keep save these quotes when you stumbled across them, or did you waste your time searching for them? Either way its one of the most pathetic things I've seen in ages.

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Kratos said:
kirby007 said:
MikeB said:
kirby007 said:
MikeB said:
@ colonelstubbs

Theres no wonder his 360s died. The one in the video is extremely poorly ventilated

It's about disc scratching, not RRoD.

je weet net zo goed als ik dat er met die ondergrond geknoeid isHoezo?

Natuurlijk niet, nagenoeg onmogelijk met zoveel mensen. Wees alsjeblieft een beetje realistisch. Of probeer je grappig te zijn?

Kerel, denk je dat dit topic grappig is? Bovendien ben ik realistisch er was geknoeid met de ondergrond en/of uitslagen van het onderzoek.

Zoiets had ik ook gelezen, was het niet op www.fok.nl , over Kassa? Moet wel zeggen dat die uitzending wel grappig was.

Cool, how much you can understand dutch with knowledge of swedish and russian(Couldn't spot any words that german would help to understand. :/).

MikeB natuurlijk opkomen voor PS3 altijd. ^^

Anyway, MS usually sucks when it comes to customer service. I have hear numerous complaints about it and its not a secret.

Kratos said:
kirby007 said:
MikeB said:
kirby007 said:
MikeB said:
@ colonelstubbs

Theres no wonder his 360s died. The one in the video is extremely poorly ventilated

It's about disc scratching, not RRoD.

je weet net zo goed als ik dat er met die ondergrond geknoeid isHoezo?

Natuurlijk niet, nagenoeg onmogelijk met zoveel mensen. Wees alsjeblieft een beetje realistisch. Of probeer je grappig te zijn?

Kerel, denk je dat dit topic grappig is? Bovendien ben ik realistisch er was geknoeid met de ondergrond en/of uitslagen van het onderzoek.

Zoiets had ik ook gelezen, was het niet op www.fok.nl , over Kassa? Moet wel zeggen dat die uitzending wel grappig was.

Epic! The first language on this forum is English. The second language is Dutch!

Maarja, dat jochie maakt toch geen kans in zo'n rechtszaak. Zoiezo omdat Microsoft door kan gaan totdat dat gezin geen cent meer op zak heeft. Nederlands = Epic!

THE NETHERLANDS

Around the Network
Strategyking92 said:
jerseyboy609 said:
here you go

ugh, he moved the console from horizontal to vertical, of course it's gonna get scratched!

other than that, why did MS make such a mistake with the lense?

How is moving the console normal playing conditions? If you're playing a game at no time should you be moving the console around.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

@ Goddbless

This is their follow up testing:

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

MikeB said:

To the boy's defense, disc scratching on the 360 is not a rarity. Some recent quotes from just VGChartz members, just the first 20 comments from 20 unique individuals I came across:

1) segajon (08/07/2008): "I put the game in it started to load and bam I heard an akward noise. I opened the disc tray and the game was correctly placed in it so I know it wasn't my fault. The disc now has a wonderful circular scratch all round the disc."

2) kutasek (08/07/2008): "The same thing happen to me with mass effect. It scratched my disc and then I've returned it to my local shop and after getting another copy of the game, it got scratched again by my xbox so i've changed the game for uncharted."

3) bbsin (08/07/2008): "Happened to my MassEffect dvd (360 was horizontal), the sound reminded me of a fax machine. Use a DVD lens cleaner, it should prevent your 360 from scrathing disks again."

4) youjiro (07/6/2008): "... or more accurately i should say my games. Over the last couple of weeks my 360 has turned into a serial killer and started to kill off some of my games. I bought a couple of xboxs games not too long ago and didn't have a chance to play them until recently. first it happend with saints row, a friend came over and wanted to have a go at it, we played for a bit and left it for a couple days. the next time i tried to play it again it didn't go past one of the loading screens, no matter how much I try it it doesn't go past the loading screen. This also happend with kameo a couple of days ago, same problem, doesn't go past any loading screen, and i also tried to load lost odyessy disc 1 and the same problem happend, altough when I load my currect disc 4 it was fine, and all my other games are fine... for now."

6) flagship (07/06/2008): "I've had this same problem with xbox games, Oblivion and Mass Effect. For some reason my 360 loves to scratch up those games while everything else remaind undamaged."

7) Riachu (08/10/2008): "The disks get scratched like that if you move the 360 while the 360 is running and the disk is still in there. That's happen to me twice. First for Guitar Hero II and again for Rock Band"

8) outlawauron (08/11/2008): "Happened to my Gears disc too."

9) elgefe02 (06/19/2008): "My Xbox just scratched my Marvel Ultimate.... I hate that machine... well not really"

10) CaptainPrefrences (03/05/2008): "when i had my xbox 360 last year, it made a circular ring scratch on my gears of war and halo 3 disc. i was so pissed, and in january i sold my 360 and picked up a 40gb ps3. i cant tell you now i can see my face like a mirror in my ps3 cod4 disc."

11) Dianko (03-05-2008):"Assassins Creed completely destroyed. I know the pain of the scratch, furious maiden that she is."

12) WaSuMaRa: (03/05/2008) "Yep it has happened to me, actually 2 out of my 3 games I have have been scratched (But it was because my dog came running in and tumbled down my xbox while I had it in vertical position, and the first time I didnt know and I moved the console and it got scratched)"

13) Astrodust: (03/05/2008) "My first 360 did. I'm onto an elite now with no problems. Knock on wood."

14) Saddle (03/05/2008): "Yes, my previous Xbox360 has. It scratched my Halo3, but Microsoft gave me a new one, when I send my Xbox to repair and they change the DVD-drive. I haven't had problems after that. My brother's 360 just scratched his Devil May Cry 4, and Microsoft isn't gonna compensate it. Now he's trying to get a new one from the store where he bought that...Hope that works."

15) yungmagic09 (03/05/2008): "My madden 07 and oblivion but that's it."

16) __XBrawlX__ (03/05/2008): "^Same here

My friends have had discs that are non readable because their 360 scratched them."

17) coolestguyever (05/11/2008): "I was enjoying a nice gaming session of some GTA4 and what do you know? my 360 starts making a funny sound, then i get a message saying disk is unreadable. I take out the disk and look at it...and its scratched to shit."

18) OT7 (05/11/2008): "Well,if this gives you some consolation,you're not alone in this,a friend's 360 scratch his Dead Rising disk,and another one his Halo 3,the sad thing is all of us live in Mexico and the warranty is a shit in my country,so they had to bought another copies."

19) Dallinor (05/11/2008): "Well that's certainly annoying.

A friend of mine had his Gears Of War CD scratched to pieces, I think he might have tried to move his 360 while he was playing it though."

20) Strategyking92 (05/11/2008): "actually, just yesterday I did the same thing and one of my favorite games (crackdown) got a cirlce around it and now it's unplayable."

put me up on that list. Assassins creed and a halo 3 disc got raped by the 360.

Edit:

2 rrod

2 controllers

2 headsets

1 charger cable

its over for ms in europe! simply because people in europe are not tolerat to these console defects

This disk scratching issue reminds me of the first year of the PS2. Most of my friends who bought a PS2 during it's launch year had to replace them within that year. As for disk scratching Sony also claimed that it was not the machine's fault though it seemed to happen on all of the PS2s that my friends had from that first year. My dorm mate had to bought Tekken 4 three times.