By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - which do you prefer "gameplay or story" before purchasing a game?

Story AND gameplay

Around the Network

I would say gameplay, because I believe that Haze had a good storyline and concept, but the gameplay sucked IMO

ecurbj said:
So how would you explain a RPG?

Usually also targeted toward teenagers. Very few RPGs have a good enough story to spark your average adult's interest.

"'Casual games' are something the 'Game Industry' invented to explain away the Wii success instead of actually listening or looking at what Nintendo did. There is no 'casual strategy' from Nintendo. 'Accessible strategy', yes, but ‘casual gamers’ is just the 'Game Industry''s polite way of saying what they feel: 'retarded gamers'."

-Sean Malstrom

Gameplay, of course. I don't care if the game has no story (SMG), but if the gameplay's great, then I'm sold. However, I would still buy a game if its story seemed very compelling, thankfully most of those games seem to have good game mechanics to go along with the story.

3DS FC: 1306 6473 7511

Nintendod Network ID: xsorenx

Add me for Pokemon, New Leaf, and Fire Emblem, Mario Kart 8.

GAMEplay because its a GAME not a book!

Around the Network

Well as i have gotten older and less time to play video games I have gotten very selective. So while gameplay is important, if it doesn't have a great story then I will not waste my time. I love movies and books and prefer games that have a deep story. I am surprised that this is so far tilted toward gameplay! Obviously if the game play stinks then I won't play it, however I think that most games that have a good story are because they are from developers who are really trying to put out a great game and know what they are doing. Therefore most games with great story INCLUDE great gameplay. When the story is bad its usually because there have been so many problems with development (too human) or just poor game design. Thats my 2 cents.

Garcian Smith said:
ecurbj said:
So how would you explain a RPG?

Usually also targeted toward teenagers. Very few RPGs have a good enough story to spark your average adult's interest.

A lot of WRPGs have very mature stories and there are even a few JRPGs that have mature storytelling i.e. Shin Megami Tensei series, Lost Odyssey

I will always choose gameplay over story. Of course, having both is nice.

Switch Code: SW-7377-9189-3397 -- Nintendo Network ID: theRepublic -- Steam ID: theRepublic

Now Playing
Switch - Super Mario Maker 2 (2019)
Switch - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Switch - Bastion (2011/2018)
3DS - Star Fox 64 3D (2011)
3DS - Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney (Trilogy) (2005/2014)
Wii U - Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (2010/2017)
Mobile - The Simpson's Tapped Out and Yugioh Duel Links
PC - Deep Rock Galactic (2020)

I'm a fps gamer myself so gameplay.

Gameplay first story second.

I mean a good story but horrible gameplay? = me not finish game

Good gameplay but horrible story? = I can still enjoy it and love it ( Super Mario Galaxy anyone?)

If it isn't turnbased it isn't worth playing   (mostly)

And shepherds we shall be,

For Thee, my Lord, for Thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritūs Sancti. -----The Boondock Saints