By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Portugal Sales Info (PS3 = Winning)

KruzeS said:
rocketpig said:
Sorry, is Portugal still a country? I just figured Spain invaded them in the 1800s and no one in Europe bothered to stop them. Or even announce that it happened.

Actually, "Spain" never successfully invaded Portugal. One of their kings had to marry one of our princesses for them to achieve dominance in the 1600s, and still... we bothered (specially about his offspring). In the 1800s, it was the French that invaded us (and Spain), and still, we (and Britain) bothered.

Our borders are pretty much 750 years old, when they were settled through... you guessed it, another (very shoddy) royal marriage - this time around, portuguese king with spanish princess (he was already married, but what the hell).

Now, there is an ongoing border dispute over 750km2 of land since the 1800s, but I doubt you even knew that.

Actually, I did know that.

And it was a joke. I think most of us know that Spain hasn't invaded Portugal. :p

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

Around the Network

this news it's all wrong... sold 20000:)))

the shops are fill of ps3 to sell since march and very litle wii... exemple 20 ps3/4 wii in every shop... well it's true that probably they put on shops 20000 ps3...

you don't know but each ps 3 costs 600 euro and the minimum wage it's 350 euros here so you have a general idea...

well i'm from portugal and i have a ps3 since day one but i know that wii it's selling much more...

p.s. sorry my english

rocketpig said:

Actually, I did know that.

And it was a joke. I think most of us know that Spain hasn't invaded Portugal. :p

Well then, I'm impressed. I mean, most spaniards don't know of the ongoing dispute. For someone else to know... just uau!

And, I half suspected it was a joke, but really, with the things we get to hear... you never now!

Reality has a Nintendo bias.
paulao said: (...)

Sugiro-te que leias as notícias, tanto do Sol como do DN. Isto são mesmo vendas ao consumidor, segundo estimativas da GFK. O Sol cita nomes da Sony, o DN da Concentra e da Sony e "fontes" na MS, por isso não há grandes margens para dúvidas.

Even the smaller markets DO count, if not otherwise, they will when there's enough of them. In some smaller markets attach ratios may be comparably high. And these ratios may matter a lot for some publishers, since different games are popular in diffent regions.
Let's take an example, if game X sells a certain amount in overall, let's say 500 000, but since the game happens to be popular in market Y, it sells an extra 30 000 in that market, or that 30 000 of total 500 000 comes from that single small meaningless market. In this example, 6 percent of the games total revenue comes from a market that is 1% of total market.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Around the Network
KruzeS said:

Well then, I'm impressed. I mean, most spaniards don't know of the ongoing dispute. For someone else to know... just uau!

And, I half suspected it was a joke, but really, with the things we get to hear... you never now!

I read some weird stuff sometimes. I remember seeing a bit about the land dispute between Portugal and Spain a few years back in some news magazine. They were doing a piece on different countries with land disputes.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

KruzeS said:
Dolla Dolla said: Next up: Kazakhstan

That's not nice at all. For Kazakhstan, I mean.

About the numbers, they are GFK's, released by SCEP. The country-manager of SCE announced that 20k units have been sold since launch (this is consumer sell through, not shipments), noting that this is 4x what the PS2 sold in the same time since its launch, and 20x better than the original Playstation. The other numbers released at this time is that 92% of all home consoles sold since PS3 launch are Playstations, and 84% of all next-gen home consoles sold since PS3 launch are PS3s. There were given no hard numbers on the installed base of either the Wii or the 360, with the manager cleverly dodging those questions and referring to the "market share since PS3 launch" (prossibly because he is not allowed by GFK to disclose the competition's numbers in detail - not going into conspiracy mode here). All that was disclosed about the installed bases of both the 360 and the Wii, is that it seems it took the PS3 three weeks to overcome them, independently, not combined.

Now, I can't find any sources at all (reputable or not) for those Wii and DS numbers, much less sources citing GFK or other tracking firms. They may be nothing more than clever assumptions based on the above numbers, or anonymous tips given in forums (which not long ago all pointed to the Wii having sold a lot less than 10k units, much less 20k...), so take those with a grain of salt. I also can't find a source citing DVD-Wii speculation, nor would the paper that originally reported this info (which secured the interview with SCE's country manager) publish that sort of speculation.

Anyway... pretty irrelevant market, aren't we?

For reference: http://sol.sapo.pt/PaginaInicial/Tecnologia/Interior.aspx?content_id=42459

Way to kill a joke and RAPE its corpse. Nice.

Yeah, I finally have a sig.

linkthe2nd said:

Way to kill a joke and RAPE its corpse. Nice.

I'll just assume you didn't understand the joke behind it then.

I have seen the numbers but it`s still hard to believe how PS3 is selling so well here in Portugal.
I live in Porto (Portugal`s second major city) and everywhere i go, i see a lot of PS3`s and a few Wii`s for sale.
Maybe Concentra isn`t getting enough Wii`s to distribute? i don`know... with those numbers from the PS3 you would expect to not see so many consoles for sale.

I`ll try to see how things are for the Wii here and if i learn something more i`ll post again.

Délio said:
I have seen the numbers but it`s still hard to believe how PS3 is selling so well here in Portugal.
I live in Porto (Portugal`s second major city) and everywhere i go, i see a lot of PS3`s and a few Wii`s for sale.
Maybe Concentra isn`t getting enough Wii`s to distribute? i don`know... with those numbers from the PS3 you would expect to not see so many consoles for sale.

I`ll try to see how things are for the Wii here and if i learn something more i`ll post again.

Concentra (Nintendo's distributor for Portugal) sucks from what I hear. Is Galaxy even in store shelves yet?

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957