By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - PC gaming is a real pain

@ vlad321

unparalleled control

Maybe when using Linux but I don't quite agree. Windows locks out and hides too much control from the power user (MacOS is no better). If just one critical file is corrupt, For instance some months ago I was forced into a complete Windows reinstall, while in the past I would just boot up my OS from CD and replace the file manually.

Naughty Dog: "At Naughty Dog, we're pretty sure we should be able to see leaps between games on the PS3 that are even bigger than they were on the PS2."

PS3 vs 360 sales

Around the Network

Everybody knows PC online gaming isn't free, you have to pay for the internet in the first place, DUH!

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

NintendoTogepi said:
GlingGling said:

I say this with the least meanness and as jokingly as is possible: cry me a river.

How long have you been PC gaming? Or using computers in general?

Nazna and Zkuq basically expressed my sentiment on the subject. My only advice to you would be: if you want to continue PC gaming then you should suck it up and get used to any "problems" you individually may be experiencing.

A great many of "us" flow through the process of playing PC games as if we were brushing our teeth. Not that it's really easy (because brushing ones teeth can be tricky), but we've been around it so long that we know what to do if we encounter a problem. That is considering that we've already dealt with most problems and our systems are set up in such a way that we rarely experience said problems.

So if you really care about PC gaming. Stick to it and you too will one day be happy. You know what they say, "Live and learn."

11 years of PC gaming and if anything it's gotten worse in recent times. I like to think I'm fairly knowledgable about computers (everyone I know always asks me for help whenever they have a problem), but PC gaming is frustrating at times. I'm just baffled that it's still such a hassle. It shouldn't take SEVEN HOURS to install a game, between it installing wrong, having to delete the files, clean the disc, crashing, half-installing, having to uninstall a game that isn't there etc.

It sucks that PC gaming is awesome, it really does.

I'm not saying I've never had problems but the only game that ever took anywhere near that much time to "get working" was Outcast (released July 1999). That included a lot of google searching and installing a multitude of hacks to get it to run in 640x480 (the original game was limited to 512x384 because it was too hardcore for it's day) on an operating system it was never designed for. And even amongst old games I rarely have trouble with the likes of dosbox and really cool people that make patches for games (did you know you can play Baldur's Gate in the Baldur's Gate 2 engine to increase resolution?). 

Edit: I run into trouble pretty often on the shady side of PC gaming. I've spent as many as 12 man hours "getting a game to work."

You must be a character from a fantasy book, the one that attracts trouble (problems) at every turn. All I can say is I feel really sorry for your problems. It sucks to be you (as a PC gamer). I hope things start looking up. Let us know when you are no longer cursed.

I so totally agree with the op it's not even funny anymore!

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Garcian Smith said:

In the post you responded to, I made a point to say, "big-budget PC exclusives." If you would have bothered actually reading the post you responded to - which you seldom seem to do, judging by your past post history - then you could have avoided crapping out the majority of the above post. As such, I'm not dismissing anything. I'm simply trying to discuss big-budget games.

The amount of budget doesn't matter, because that does NOT measure the quality of the game. The fact that PC is an open platform and has lower costs of development means that PC games are always cheaper to make. Crysis, the most technically advanced game ever, only cost $22 millions (a far cry from the $40+ millions from Halo 3). Galactic Civilizations 2 cost less than $1 million.

Garcian Smith said:

Second, as per your list of RPGs: Eight are either MMOs or expansions to MMOs. That leaves five from your list: NWN2 and its expansion, The Witcher, Spellforce 2, and Titan Quest. Five versus three still leaves the numbers in favor of the PC, but neither lineup is very impressive: none of those games, either on the 360 or PC, scored above an 82% cumulative score on Gamerankings.

MMO is the technology, RPG is the genre. MMORPG is, and always been a sub-genre of RPG... that is why World of Warcraft won so many "Best RPG" awards.

You see, you are using that weak argument of "I don't like XXX, so I don't include them", just like many people who use that to discredit PC gaming, like:

Xbot: "X360 has better games than PC."
PCer: "No, PC has best."
Xbot: "No way, PC has nothing if you remove MMOs, niche games, indie games, casual games, low-budget games, etc..."
PCer: "...sigh."

But let's dissect better what the PC RPG lineup is like:

There were infact only 4 MMORPGs in my list and only 1 of them was an expansion, so I don't know how the heck you found 8 MMOs in there. The MMORPGs were:

1. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade (expansion)
  2. Lord of the Rings Online
  3. Age of Conan
  4. Tabula Rasa

There were 5 Action-RPGs. While 3 of them were expansions of Guild Wars, they were also full-fledged games that did not require the original game... infact, all 3 of them were rated better than any of the X360's JRPGs.

1. Guild Wars Nightfall (standalone expansion)
  2. Guild Wars Factions (standalone expansion)
  3. Guild Wars: Eye of the North (standalone expansion)
  4. Titan Quest
  5. Dungeon Runners

There were 3 CRPGs. Mask of the Betrayer is an expansion, but it has possibly the best RPG story and narrative since Planescape: Torment.

1. Neverwinter Nights 2
  2. Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer (expansion)
  3. The Witcher

And atleast, there was 1 Strategy-RPG.

1. Spellforce 2: Shadow Wars

Resume of both platforms' variety:

X360:
3 JRPGs

PC:
5 ARPGs
4 MMORPGs
3 CRPGs
1 SRPG

Resume of the score of both platforms' RPGs: (Metacritic)

X360:
80+: None
70-79: 3

PC:
90+: 1
80-89: 8
70-79: 4

Garcian Smith said:

Third, so your opinion is that the PC has better racing games. That's fine. But don't try to state your opinion as fact.

That was not my intention, sorry. Let's just agree to disagree on this one.

Garcian Smith said:

Fourth, Portal, Audiosurf, and Braid are not casual games. I hate the "casual"/"hardcore" distinction as much as the next guy, but the normal definition of "casual games" is more along the lines of Bejeweled or Wii Sports.

I was "attacking" the big-budget part you said, not the casual part. I really don't know why you'd care about a game's budget if the game itself might be great.

And for the record, Audiosurf is 100% casual, so there's a casual game that does not have a "big-budget", but is an amazing game.

Garcian Smith said:

Fifth, I forgot about Stalker, but last I checked, everyone hated BF2142 and Red Orchestra. As for 360-exclusive shooters, there aren't many, but that was never my argument in the first place.

I never played BF2142 or Red Orchestra, but I'm thinking it was more a wave of disappointment of BF2142 changes from it's antecessor (doesn't mean it's a bad game). I never heard anything bad about Red Orchestra.

If your argument was a matter of financial success, then that's hard to figure out since many companies don't disclose their figures, but I can't think of any FPS failure on PC in recent times. Crysis did good, Stalker did amazing, Quake Wars' success allowed to double Splash Damage's team, Bioshock passed 1 million, COD4 is selling like crack.

Around the Network
NintendoTogepi said:

11 years of PC gaming and if anything it's gotten worse in recent times. I like to think I'm fairly knowledgable about computers (everyone I know always asks me for help whenever they have a problem), but PC gaming is frustrating at times. I'm just baffled that it's still such a hassle. It shouldn't take SEVEN HOURS to install a game, between it installing wrong, having to delete the files, clean the disc, crashing, half-installing, having to uninstall a game that isn't there etc.

It sucks that PC gaming is awesome, it really does.

Sorry, but it's not PC Gaming's fault if you need to delete files, clean the disc, clean the registry, defragment.... it's your own fault for keeping your PC like that in the first place. It has nothing to do with PC gaming. It's like trying to install a PS3 game, only to find out that your PS3's HDD is full and you are forced to delete files.

Ofcourse, patching and drivers is infact a problem for PC gaming, but alot of the problems are created by the users themselves.

@MikeB

Hoestly I have no idea what you are doing to your computer in between viruses and corrupted files, but in the past 5 years I have barely had any problems with viruses and absolutely none with corrupted files. The biggest pain in the ass problems I have had to deal with on my computers are hardware ones. HD or motherboard breaking due to overuse or just plain out of date.

Are you trying to tell me that your PS3 can be manipulated and you have more control over it than ANY computer in existence? Because I'm raising the shenanigans flag on that point.

@quarashi

Yeah I pay for internet so I have access to the internet not for gaming.

Tag(thx fkusumot) - "Yet again I completely fail to see your point..."

HD vs Wii, PC vs HD: http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=93374

Why Regenerating Health is a crap game mechanic: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=3986420

gamrReview's broken review scores: http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=4170835

My problem with computer gaming is that you can't play the old games on the new hardware.

And while I don't mind keeping around old consoles, it was tough having to have a whole bunch of old computers.

So I gave up on PC gaming about the turn of the century.

I don't have as much time as I once did, so I don't mind not getting every game. But I imagine that a good laptop for a couple of grand would be kewl.

Mike from Morgantown

I am Mario.

I like to jump around, and would lead a fairly serene and aimless existence if it weren't for my friends always getting into trouble. I love to help out, even when it puts me at risk. I seem to make friends with people who just can't stay out of trouble.

Wii Friend Code: 1624 6601 1126 1492

NNID: Mike_INTV

mike_intellivision said:
My problem with computer gaming is that you can't play the old games on the new hardware.

And while I don't mind keeping around old consoles, it was tough having to have a whole bunch of old computers.

So I gave up on PC gaming about the turn of the century.

I don't have as much time as I once did, so I don't mind not getting every game. But I imagine that a good laptop for a couple of grand would be kewl.

Mike from Morgantown

I have no idea where did you get an idea that you cant play old games, I have no problem playing games back from early 90s, if by old games you mean like 80s then I have no idea because I never tried to play any games from back then.

Proud owner of the following gaming devices:

PC, XBox 360, Wii, PS2, DS, PS3

i will stick for console gaming?

why?

its a hassle to build computers for me, getting new cards, ram, cpu

every 3 years i would have to update.
also with some hardware game have some glitches, waiting of the patch that only 3 cats have its endless.

the games i play are on console except mmmrpg and thats not for long.

even if there are nice things as steam, i prefer to get a hard copy than digital copy undrm (meaning it can be borrowed and sell later).