By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What if there was a dreamcast 2? would it be a success or a faliure?

I'm a very happy owner of a xbox360, and I wil buy the next microsoft machine, but if sega returns with Dreamcast 2 (space chanel 5, shenmue 3, sonic adventure 3...) I will buy it first without doubt.

Tim and The Princes...

Around the Network

if there was a dreamcast 2

complete with dream key 4, and a new dream arena

it would be a hit

...not much time to post anymore, used to be awesome on here really good fond memories from VGchartz...

PSN: Skeeuk - XBL: SkeeUK - PC: Skeeuk

really miss the VGCHARTZ of 2008 - 2013...

SEGA are cool, id get it

izaaz101 said:
BringBackChrono said:
Nickelbackro said:
There is only one one for Sega to succeed as a console maker. A purely 2D console. Something on the order of a 20 Mhz processor and 2 MB of memory maybe include a 256 or 512 Mb internal flash drive and sell it for $50. Sell games on small SD cards (or a proprietary equivalent) in store and have a digital distribution model like the virtual console. Make the games $5-8 a piece and make new 2D sonic and other games of that type.

Nintendo has done a lot with the wii in this direction but if there was a dedicated old school console I think it might succeed. In the current ultra expensive gaming climate of $400 systems and $60 games it might be interesting to have a new cheap console.

We are already seeing this with games like Megaman 9 and dedicated consoles like the Atari Flashback maybe this needs to be taken a step farther.

What you said made a great deal of sense. Even in the gaming forums, there always are people fondly remembering the 8-bit era(im one of them). But the problem would be Nintendo.If a system like that is successful,Nintendo will jump on the opportunity and make one themselves(besides their main console) and with their superior 2-d assets as well as the support theyll get from 3rd parties(Konami,SE etc) will make it a repeat of the 4th gen

I don't Nintendo would make another console to compete with Sega on that...........with a $50 console, $8 games, how much profit are you going to make? Certainly not enough for Nintendo to bother making a new console for. However, if 2D gaming was back in, I could see them making more games on wiiware, and well as on the DS, since they seem to be leaving those on the shoulders of 3rd parties now.

Maybe not very much profit but there would be some, a card that could hold ~10mb wouldn't be that expensive, maybe $2-4 plus the system would use older processors that can be had for under $10, it would be like one of those NES system on a chip hackers make.

A Studio of 100 people could support this completely through first party, there wouldn't be a need for 3rd parties (however they would join once they find out how much can be made by selling on a system with insanely low dev costs). With todays programming capibilities the engines for these games could be used over and over so a developer could crank out 30 games a year (although there would be quality controls to preventy an atari type quality crash).

The only thing would be for Sega not to loss leader, thats what killed them in the first place and they can't do that again. Plus for online distribution everyone would get a file that has some sort of DRM so that it could only be used on a single system after it was downloaded. But to save on costs the files couldn't be downloaded from the console, but could be from PC onto an SD card (even people with dial up could handle files under 10Mb). Then it would be transfered to the system.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

First of all, there is now way in hell it could be called Dreamcast 2. Anyone who doesn't own one thinks it's crap (from the stories they've heard), and a DC2 would be instantly associated with it.

That said, new SEGA system with Power Stone 3 and a new Crazy Taxi sil vous plait!

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."