By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Infinite Undiscovery: 20-25 hours, two discs

Few notes:

1) ToV wouldn't work on a Wii. If the Wii had the graphical ability, why didn't Namco port Eternal Sonata to the Wii instead of the PS3? I mean, the Wii would be the vastly more understandable choice for a JRPG in Japan....Unless you'd have to re-do the entire game and scale everything down.

2) Length is always questionable in JRPGs. Eternal Sonata promised a 30hr quest....But was 30 with sidequests. Blue Dragon was 40hrs (or less, depending on who you talked to)....But it was 40 if you ran through everything, and did no sidequests. I think we need to wait for more reviews, and a few players to go through it to determine the length vs. what a few people are saying...Personally, 20-25hrs is too short for a RPG for me, but we'll see. Most older JRPGs were that short.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

Around the Network
Soriku said:
mrstickball said:
Few notes:

1) ToV wouldn't work on a Wii. If the Wii had the graphical ability, why didn't Namco port Eternal Sonata to the Wii instead of the PS3? I mean, the Wii would be the vastly more understandable choice for a JRPG in Japan....Unless you'd have to re-do the entire game and scale everything down.

2) Length is always questionable in JRPGs. Eternal Sonata promised a 30hr quest....But was 30 with sidequests. Blue Dragon was 40hrs (or less, depending on who you talked to)....But it was 40 if you ran through everything, and did no sidequests. I think we need to wait for more reviews, and a few players to go through it to determine the length vs. what a few people are saying...Personally, 20-25hrs is too short for a RPG for me, but we'll see. Most older JRPGs were that short.

Because...ES is more impressive than ToV? It pushes the 360 HW. ES uses the power of the HD consoles well...ToV not so much.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the ToV engine was derived from Eternal Sonata's, correct? That would mean they share quite a bit with eachother, including base attributes for hardware requirements, and preformance - although both have very different stylistic attributes.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.

20-25 hours is perfect! I don't want to forget the story because the middle section has 20+ hours of grinding to fill in the time.

I don't want to put the game down half way through because I get sick of it.

Quite frankly 20 hours is perfect, honestly if you want to make that 40 hours why not run around in circles and fight baddies for another 20 hours? Take the inititive, find your own grinding rather than get the developers to make it for you.

Tease.

The game is little too short for my taste.

Shorter than I would have liked......

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Around the Network

Further to what ZenfoldorVGI said about Vagrant Story having a 15 hour story (one of my all time favorite games btw) and others have said about various other games, remember that FFIX has a weapon that you can only collect if you get to the final boss area under 12 hours.

Of course, you don't have to finish the game that quickly, like Squilliam said you can run around for hours killing baddies.

I spent around 200 hours on that one :(

Proud Sony Rear Admiral

I usually like to enjoy my games a way that I dont need to be afraid that it will end too fast by running around and trying to pick up every quest. Games like FF and other RPGs you can play almost 30-40hours without thinking about side quests. There is a difference with trying to finish a game as fast as possible by doing some extra research like FFIX. It took me around 13-14hours before I finished Mass effect and I did not skip any side quests on purpose. Maybe I should have tried much harder trying to find other side quests to make my experience longer.

Yojimbo said:
I usually like to enjoy my games a way that I dont need to be afraid that it will end too fast by running around and trying to pick up every quest. Games like FF and other RPGs you can play almost 30-40hours without thinking about side quests. There is a difference with trying to finish a game as fast as possible by doing some extra research like FFIX. It took me around 13-14hours before I finished Mass effect and I did not skip any side quests on purpose. Maybe I should have tried much harder trying to find other side quests to make my experience longer.

Yes, but the basic flaw that I find in the argument of not buying a game because it is too short, is shortness can have nothing to do with quality. If a game is great, you want it to be longer. If a game sucks, you would then want it to be shorter...correct?

Call of Duty 4 is one of the best games I've played this gen. So is Gears of War. Together, those games could barely milk you 10 hours of play.

If IU is great, then yeah, we'll want it to be longer. If it sucks, we might be ready for it to be over far sooner than it ends.

Now, for my money, I think that no game is required to be 20 hours long, to be great, or even the best game ever made.

If CoD4 can be 4 hours long, and be one of my favorite games, then I'm open to any game, as long as I have a great time playing it.

People yearn more for a large scope in their JRPGs, which is not necessarily indicative of length.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

This trend will never be my friend. ;)
Hopefully this game will last longer than 25 hours.
Time will tell.Literally. :)

Tempus fugit Nintendo manet.

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Member - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Regular - Pass 2k
Level 4 - Addicted - Pass 5k
Level 5 - Obsessed - Pass 10k
Level 6 - Old Guard - Pass 20k
Level 7 - Legend - Pass 50k
Level 8 - Demi-God - Pass 100k
Level 9 - God - Pass 250k
Level 10 - Zeus - Pass 500k

New Table:

Level 1 - Newbie
Level 2 - Rookie - Pass 1k
Level 3 - Padawan - Pass 10k
Level 4 - Sea Dog - Pass 25k
Level 5 - Captain - Pass 50k
Level 6 - Agent - Pass 100k
Level 7 - Elite - Pass 175k
Level 8 - Hero - Pass 250k
Level 9 - Legend - Pass 500k
Level 10 - Titan - Pass 1 Million

ZenfoldorVGI said:
Yojimbo said:

Yes, but the basic flaw that I find in the argument of not buying a game because it is too short, is shortness can have nothing to do with quality. If a game is great, you want it to be longer. If a game sucks, you would then want it to be shorter...correct?

Call of Duty 4 is one of the best games I've played this gen. So is Gears of War. Together, those games could barely milk you 10 hours of play.

If IU is great, then yeah, we'll want it to be longer. If it sucks, we might be ready for it to be over far sooner than it ends.

Now, for my money, I think that no game is required to be 20 hours long, to be great, or even the best game ever made.

If CoD4 can be 4 hours long, and be one of my favorite games, then I'm open to any game, as long as I have a great time playing it.

People yearn more for a large scope in their JRPGs, which is not necessarily indicative of length.

It is not about how great the game is. I think that Heaveny Sword is great but the game is too short and it is not worth spending 60$ for 5 hours, if it would have been around 10hours it would have been different. For me RPG need to be much longer then that there is different requirement. Call of Duty 4 single player was short but most people buy it for the online and that is a different story. I had Gears of Wars on PC and I thought it was long enough :P