By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 $100 price drop Sunday

windbane said:
marc said:
My biggest gripe with the PS3 is the fact that the games I want wont be out till 2009... even a $100 price cut wont matter with the current library of games. Now if the 360 gets a $100 price drop that may raise an eyebrow or two... well maybe not until they iron out all the reliability issues. Id hate to go through what my friends went through with thier 360s. But ya the $100 price drop is nice but I think the biggest issue is lack of games. Sony's 1st party games just arent good imho.

Title
Plat
Company
Reviews
Avg.
Vote
Avg
Score
1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PS3 Bethesda Softworks 44 7.7 93.2%
2. Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 SCEA 70 7.9 87.4%
3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3 Tecmo 15 8.7 87.4%
4. Virtua Fighter 5 PS3 Sega 44 7.9 87.2%
5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas PS3 Ubisoft 14 8.0 85.8%
6. NBA Street Homecourt PS3 EA Sports Big 25 6.7 84.4%
7. Fight Night Round 3 PS3 EA Sports 36 7.9 83.6%
8. MotorStorm PS3 SCEA 61 7.9 83.0%
9. The Darkness PS3 2K Games 16 7.7 82.5%
10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 PS3 EA Sports 29 6.0 82.1%
11. NBA 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 21 7.4 81.6%
12. College Hoops 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 7 7.1 81.3%
13. Virtua Tennis 3 PS3 Sega 33 7.4 80.9%
14. Call of Duty 3 PS3 Activision 45 7.3 80.9%
15. The BIGS PS3 2K Sports 6 -- 80.3%
16. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent PS3 Ubisoft 15 8.2 79.7%
17. NHL 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 20 6.3 79.7%
18. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PS3 Activision 37 7.3 79.3%
19. Ridge Racer 7 PS3 Namco Bandai Games 48 6.2 79.1%
20. Madden NFL 07 PS3 EA Sports 25 5.9 77.9%
21. Tony Hawk's Project 8 PS3 Activision 40 5.6 77.8%
22. Formula One Championship Edition PS3 SCEA 52 7.3 77.2%
23. MLB 07: The Show PS3 SCEA 22 7.7 77.0%

Far better than the Wii lineup so far, and now includes many of the best 360 games. Of course, for me, I'm going to play Gears of War, Lost Planet, Bioshock, and a few others on the PC.

What games are coming out in 2009, though? FF13 and MGS4 should be out by 2008, so I'm curious what games you mean. GT5?

Sounds like opinionto me... I hate racing, FPS, and sports games as well as western RPGs...

Around the Network

Does anybody think Sony is doing this because they think MS is in a tight spot because of the new repair policy ???

And I do think Gball is right with them losing their face, it may be better to lose face than to watch sales go so badly but still they can´t say everything is fine and as expected but lower the price anyway, this will make it even harder to get profit out of the PS3 so Sony must know how bad the situation is, no healty console gets a price drop this early, if this doesn´t really help the PS3 and Sony needs to drop the price again before Chirstmas they will eather get the sales they need but lose lots of money or they will be up lollipop lane without a candy cane, eather way this pricecut has to move alot of PS3s for Sonys sake.

Windbane, this isn't really a board for discussing opinions on games, but you started it and people seem to be responding to you so I'll continue it.

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PS3 Bethesda Softworks 44 7.7 93.2% - PC port
2. Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 SCEA 70 7.9 87.4% - I've never played a good console exclusive FPS, the good ones are on the PC. With Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis coming out that shouldn't be a problem.
3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3 Tecmo 15 8.7 87.4% - Xbox port which doesn't even have great current-gen graphics.
4. Virtua Fighter 5 PS3 Sega 44 7.9 87.2% - I'll tell you a secret about VF and Tekken, they're the same game. Also coming to the 360.
5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas PS3 Ubisoft 14 8.0 85.8% - PC port
6. NBA Street Homecourt PS3 EA Sports Big 25 6.7 84.4% - Sports games are for casual gamers
7. Fight Night Round 3 PS3 EA Sports 36 7.9 83.6% - Sports game
8. MotorStorm PS3 SCEA 61 7.9 83.0% - Played it, bland, generic racing game with only 8 tracks
9. The Darkness PS3 2K Games 16 7.7 82.5% - Console FPS
10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 PS3 EA Sports 29 6.0 82.1% - Sports game
11. NBA 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 21 7.4 81.6% - Sports game
12. College Hoops 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 7 7.1 81.3% - Sports game
13. Virtua Tennis 3 PS3 Sega 33 7.4 80.9% - Sports game
14. Call of Duty 3 PS3 Activision 45 7.3 80.9% - Multiplatform
15. The BIGS PS3 2K Sports 6 -- 80.3% - Wii version is better
16. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent PS3 Ubisoft 15 8.2 79.7% - On the 360, PC, and Wii
17. NHL 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 20 6.3 79.7% -
Sports game
18. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PS3 Activision 37 7.3 79.3% - Multiplatform
19. Ridge Racer 7 PS3 Namco Bandai Games 48 6.2 79.1% - None of the others were good
20. Madden NFL 07 PS3 EA Sports 25 5.9 77.9% - Sports game
21. Tony Hawk's Project 8 PS3 Activision 40 5.6 77.8% - This is what, the 10th Tony Hawk game, and the other weren't that good
22. Formula One Championship Edition PS3 SCEA 52 7.3 77.2% - Generic racing game
23. MLB 07: The Show PS3 SCEA 22 7.7 77.0% - Sports game

In fact, take out the sports games, FPS games, generic racing games, multiplatform games, and remakes and your left with well...nothing.

Judging by the sales of most of these games a lot of people share my opinion.

There you go, not a single game on the PS3 that I would spend money on. Now compare this to the Wii games I own:

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess: Voted game of the year by fans on most sites.

Trauma Center: Second Opinion - My second favorite game on the Wii. One of the most unique and entertaining games I've played in a long time. Very fun surgery simulation with an excellent visual novel style plot and beating everything on all difficulties takes about 30-50 hours.

Excite Truck - One of the very few racing games I enjoy, actually unique and fun and more about performing stunts than just racing around a track. Also, fully uses the Wiimote. This is also popular with my friends in co-op.

The Godfather: Blackhand Edition.  A similar version was also released on the PS3 but guess which version got much better reviews?  The controls are what makes the game, you can use the Wiimote to do different punches on people, strangle them, throw them, execute them, beat them with melee weapons, and most of the game can actually be played with melee attacks.  You also use the Wiimote to aim at the screen which is far superior to an analog stick.

Super Paper Mario - Very unique and fun adventure style game.

Warioware: Smooth Moves - PS3 fans love to bash mini-game collections. But this isn't realy a mini-game collection, it's 300 microgames and it's very fun to play with friends since it uses the Wiimote in so many creative ways. I only got it for the multiplayer.

Wii Sports - It changed the world of gaming, 'nuff said.

There are a few PS3 games that are not released yet that I would buy, but most of the big ones(Devil May Cry 4, Grand Theft Auto IV, Devil May Cry 4, and Resident Evil 5 are on the 360) there are also more exclusives on the 360 that I want. Also, since Sony fans tend to be unaware of the upcoming games on the Wii here's just a small number of them:

Animal Crossing
Battalion Wars 2
Beautiful Katamari
Boogie
Disaster: Day of Crisis
Dragon Quest Swords: The Masked Queen and the Tower of Mirrors
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers
Fire Emblem: Goddess of Dawn
Guitar Hero III
Kirby
Manhunt 2
Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Games
Mario Strikers Charged
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
NiGHTS Journey of Dreams
No More Heroes
Project H.A.M.M.E.R.
Rayman Raving Rabbids 2
Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles
Soul Calibur Legends
Sadness
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Sword of Legendia
Wii Music

Oh yeah, and only one mini-game collection in the list. To keep this on topic, this is the reason the Wii will continue to outsell the PS3. It's outselling the PS3 4 to 1 according to this chart: http://vgchartz.com/hwcomps.php?cons1=Wii®1=All&cons2=PS3®2=All&cons3=X360®3=All&weekly=1. Even if the PS3 doubles its sales the Wii will still be outselling it 2 to 1. It's losing its exclusives to the 360 and losing its 3rd party support to the Wii and 360 so whatever games are coming out now are going to dwindle in the next couple of years as the devs finish up the games they already started. Forget Hideo Kojima, he said in an interview he's more interested in the Wii so don't expect anything else after MGS4.

So yeah, the PS3 can't win the console race. Microsoft has screwed up big time lately, but a price drop and the big games coming out towards the end of this year(don't make me list them) will help it more than the PS3's price drop and games. The only way the PS3 can beat it is if the negative public perception switches over to the 360 and it doesn't drop its price, which is actually semi-possible at this point. If Microsoft makes enough stupid decisions the PS3 could take second place, in which case, yeah, I'll buy it. I'm not a fanboy, I go with whichever system has the most games I want, which is the Wii at this point, but I would like an HD system.

Oh yeah, and I think this year's E3 is going to be Wii3 :p

deadhorse said:

Windbane, this isn't really a board for discussing opinions on games, but you started it and people seem to be responding to you so I'll continue it.

1. The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion PS3 Bethesda Softworks 44 7.7 93.2% - PC port
2. Resistance: Fall of Man PS3 SCEA 70 7.9 87.4% - I've never played a good console exclusive FPS, the good ones are on the PC. With Bioshock, Unreal Tournament 3, and Crysis coming out that shouldn't be a problem.
3. Ninja Gaiden Sigma PS3 Tecmo 15 8.7 87.4% - Xbox port which doesn't even have great current-gen graphics.
4. Virtua Fighter 5 PS3 Sega 44 7.9 87.2% - I'll tell you a secret about VF and Tekken, they're the same game. Also coming to the 360.
5. Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas PS3 Ubisoft 14 8.0 85.8% - PC port
6. NBA Street Homecourt PS3 EA Sports Big 25 6.7 84.4% - Sports games are for casual gamers
7. Fight Night Round 3 PS3 EA Sports 36 7.9 83.6% - Sports game
8. MotorStorm PS3 SCEA 61 7.9 83.0% - Played it, bland, generic racing game with only 8 tracks
9. The Darkness PS3 2K Games 16 7.7 82.5% - Console FPS
10. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07 PS3 EA Sports 29 6.0 82.1% - Sports game
11. NBA 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 21 7.4 81.6% - Sports game
12. College Hoops 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 7 7.1 81.3% - Sports game
13. Virtua Tennis 3 PS3 Sega 33 7.4 80.9% - Sports game
14. Call of Duty 3 PS3 Activision 45 7.3 80.9% - Multiplatform
15. The BIGS PS3 2K Sports 6 -- 80.3% - Wii version is better
16. Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Double Agent PS3 Ubisoft 15 8.2 79.7% - On the 360, PC, and Wii
17. NHL 2K7 PS3 2K Sports 20 6.3 79.7% -
Sports game
18. Marvel: Ultimate Alliance PS3 Activision 37 7.3 79.3% - Multiplatform
19. Ridge Racer 7 PS3 Namco Bandai Games 48 6.2 79.1% - None of the others were good
20. Madden NFL 07 PS3 EA Sports 25 5.9 77.9% - Sports game
21. Tony Hawk's Project 8 PS3 Activision 40 5.6 77.8% - This is what, the 10th Tony Hawk game, and the other weren't that good
22. Formula One Championship Edition PS3 SCEA 52 7.3 77.2% - Generic racing game
23. MLB 07: The Show PS3 SCEA 22 7.7 77.0% - Sports game

1. Oblivion loads twice as fast and looks better on the PS3. It's a great game and not limited on the consoles. I'm a huge PC gamer and have played a lot of RPGs on the PC. Oblivion is excellent on the PS3. You can try to dismiss it as a PC port if you want, and you can then do that with a lot of 360 games, but it's still not on the Wii.

2. Resistance is a great console FPS. If you don't like FPS on consoles, I guess you won't like Metroid Prime 3. Oh, and UT3 will support keyboard and mouse on the PS3.

3. Has excellent graphics since it was completely redone. It also has 3 new levels. It's not just a port. It certainly added a lot more than RE4 for the Wii did.

4. If you think Virtua Fighter and Tekken are the same game, you are obviously not a fan of fighting games. That said, Tekken 5 with online play is on the PS3, Tekken 6 will be on the PS3 (exclusive), and Virtua Fighter 5 isn't out on anything else yet.

5. Play it on the PC then, but it's still a great port.

6. "Sports games are for casual gamers." Your opinions just became worthless. Not only is that statement false, but even if only casual gamers played sports games does not suddenly make them not count. Nice try, though, seeing as how most sports games will be better on the PS3 and 360.

15. Interesting you say the Wii version is better when it has received bad ratings because of its flawed control. In fact, the PS2 version is rated higher so far. It's 78 average so far on the PS3 based on 8 reviews, whereas the Wii version has 70, 70, and 60 review scores. The PS2 is 75, 70, 60. Go figure.

Finally, I'm sorry you don't like RR and Tony Hawk, because a lot of people do, especially Tony Hawk. RR happens to be my second favorite arcade racing game next to Midnight Club.

Now, to answer those of you that fairly said it was only my "opinion" that the PS3 has a far better lineup than the Wii, I was merely using gameranking.com (or metacritic) as my reason for this.  If you'd like me to post those numbers I can.  Games over 77%:  23 to 8, PS3.  Over 75%:  23 to 12 PS3.

Since the PS3 games are under attack, though: Zelda is a gamecube port with a different control scheme, Paper Mario was ported to the Wii and to screw over the gamecube owners not also released on the gamecube, and many of the Wii games are also on the PS2. However, I was merely going by the average reviews.

My overall point, and the reason I posted the original post, is that the PS3 does have great games to play already. It has more solid games than the Wii, it is catching up to the 360 by including many of its best games while adding perhaps (opinions will vary) the best FPS multiplayer going right now (Resistance...lag free 40 players) and Motorstorm, which also has lag-free online play up to 12 people (as does RR7). Motorstorm, btw, gets critized for only having 8 "maps" but there are multiple tracks per "map" and different vehicles go different ways. It's really an amazing racing game and great to play in first person with motion controls.

Anyway, we'll see how the $100 price drop works out.

windbane said:

1. Oblivion loads twice as fast and looks better on the PS3. It's a great game and not limited on the consoles. I'm a huge PC gamer and have played a lot of RPGs on the PC. Oblivion is excellent on the PS3. You can try to dismiss it as a PC port if you want, and you can then do that with a lot of 360 games, but it's still not on the Wii.

2. Resistance is a great console FPS. If you don't like FPS on consoles, I guess you won't like Metroid Prime 3. Oh, and UT3 will support keyboard and mouse on the PS3.

3. Has excellent graphics since it was completely redone. It also has 3 new levels. It's not just a port. It certainly added a lot more than RE4 for the Wii did.

4. If you think Virtua Fighter and Tekken are the same game, you are obviously not a fan of fighting games. That said, Tekken 5 with online play is on the PS3, Tekken 6 will be on the PS3 (exclusive), and Virtua Fighter 5 isn't out on anything else yet.

5. Play it on the PC then, but it's still a great port.

6. "Sports games are for casual gamers." Your opinions just became worthless. Not only is that statement false, but even if only casual gamers played sports games does not suddenly make them not count. Nice try, though, seeing as how most sports games will be better on the PS3 and 360.

15. Interesting you say the Wii version is better when it has received bad ratings because of its flawed control. In fact, the PS2 version is rated higher so far. It's 78 average so far on the PS3 based on 8 reviews, whereas the Wii version has 70, 70, and 60 review scores. The PS2 is 75, 70, 60. Go figure.

Finally, I'm sorry you don't like RR and Tony Hawk, because a lot of people do, especially Tony Hawk. RR happens to be my second favorite arcade racing game next to Midnight Club.

Now, to answer those of you that fairly said it was only my "opinion" that the PS3 has a far better lineup than the Wii, I was merely using gameranking.com (or metacritic) as my reason for this.  If you'd like me to post those numbers I can.  Games over 77%:  23 to 8, PS3.  Over 75%:  23 to 12 PS3.

Since the PS3 games are under attack, though: Zelda is a gamecube port with a different control scheme, Paper Mario was ported to the Wii and to screw over the gamecube owners not also released on the gamecube, and many of the Wii games are also on the PS2. However, I was merely going by the average reviews.

My overall point, and the reason I posted the original post, is that the PS3 does have great games to play already. It has more solid games than the Wii, it is catching up to the 360 by including many of its best games while adding perhaps (opinions will vary) the best FPS multiplayer going right now (Resistance...lag free 40 players) and Motorstorm, which also has lag-free online play up to 12 people (as does RR7). Motorstorm, btw, gets critized for only having 8 "maps" but there are multiple tracks per "map" and different vehicles go different ways. It's really an amazing racing game and great to play in first person with motion controls.

Anyway, we'll see how the $100 price drop works out.

We could argue opinions on games all day, but this isn't the board for it.  I think I showed you the opposing viewpoint sufficiently with one post.  If you want facts, the facts are that the games on the PS3 now aren't enough to justify the purchase of a $600 system to any more than 3.5 million people, regardless of what they got on gamerankings.  The Wii games are enough for the system to be sold out, however.  If you want a prediction, I'm going to be predict that PS3 is never going to get enough games over the Wii for people to want to pay far more for it.  The Wii will easily be able to compete with the PS3 in the present, and it's going to get more 3rd party support and be able to compete with it in the future.  I'm looking forward to the $100 price drop too.  If it does amazing things for the PS3 I see the PS3 beating the 360.  If it does nothing the 360 will beat it in the long run.  Either way, I think it's a good thing to have a good system that allows you to get some use out of HDTVs, the damn Wii looks better on an SDTV.  I'm going to make a wild guess though and say that the same people who didn't want a $600 system are not going to want a $500 system.  I'm also looking forward to E3, let's see which console has the most impressive show.

Around the Network
Christopher_G2 said:
When people bring up the 20GB model was $500 that's really a bunk arguement. For one Sony didn't ever produce the damn thing, it was no where to be seem. Most major retailers didn't even sell it. Second, it's only natural that the people who buy console early are going to want the premium version. I mean the 360 core still sells like absolute crap. Does that mean the 360 isn't going to get any boost from a $100 price cut.

the 20gb model was nowhere to be found ever!! the 360 core sells like crap because it has no harddrive.. you cant compare that to ps3 models which all have HDD's

URNOTE Proud Owner of a 60GB PS3 Console (Purchased 12/22/06)

#1 reason MGS4 is PS3 exclusive  xbox is too loud for snake to sneak around
PSNTAG= Xander732

deadhorse said:

Either way, I think it's a good thing to have a good system that allows you to get some use out of HDTVs, the damn Wii looks better on an SDTV.

*sigh*

The games on the PS3 are in no way worse when they are on SDTV. The resolution doesn't enable you to see as much on the screen and as many details, but you are making it sound like the Wii games look better just because they can't be higher resolution. The PS3, 360, and PC games at the same resolution as the Wii still look better. The graphics don't go away.

PS:  You didn't really show me anything by dismissing the whole sports genre because it's only for "casuals" then you argue the Wii will dominate the world with its casual games.  That just doesn't make sense.  And yes, Madden and every other sports game will look better on the PS3 even if it's on SDTV. 

El Duderino said:

Does anybody think Sony is doing this because they think MS is in a tight spot because of the new repair policy ???

That doesn't make any sense. Sony is in a difficult financial position, and Microsoft swims in money.

Given those two facts, do you think it makes any sense for them to start a price war? Sony may be a bit crazy these days, but I don't think they're suicidal yet.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

El Duderino said:

Not sure, because the price-cut happened right after the M$ announcement.  If M$ can't respond by dropping the 360 price for awhile, it puts Sony in a good position.  By the time M$ can afford to drop the price, Sony can counter with another drop.

As it is now, it is much easier to argue the worth of the PS3 hardware over the 360 hardware, even without adding prices for playing online.   $500 versus $480 for the best deals for both consoles, and only the PS3 plays movies in HD, has wi-fi, card readers, and free online network that apparently is getting a movie/music store soon.

windbane said:
deadhorse said:

Either way, I think it's a good thing to have a good system that allows you to get some use out of HDTVs, the damn Wii looks better on an SDTV.

*sigh*

The games on the PS3 are in no way worse when they are on SDTV. The resolution doesn't enable you to see as much on the screen and as many details, but you are making it sound like the Wii games look better just because they can't be higher resolution. The PS3, 360, and PC games at the same resolution as the Wii still look better. The graphics don't go away.

PS:  You didn't really show me anything by dismissing the whole sports genre because it's only for "casuals" then you argue the Wii will dominate the world with its casual games.  That just doesn't make sense.  And yes, Madden and every other sports game will look better on the PS3 even if it's on SDTV. 

The games on the PS3 are in no way worse when they are on SDTV. but you are making it sound like the Wii games look better just because they can't be higher resolution. The PS3, 360, and PC games at the same resolution as the Wii still look better. The graphics don't go away.

I never once said Wii games look better than the PS3, 360 and the PC games at the same resolution.  Of course the other platforms look better in 480p than Wii games and they look better than Wii games on an SDTV too.  I said that Wii games look better on an SDTV than they do on an HDTV.  I got component cables for my Wii for $30, I plugged it into my HDTV and Zelda looked worse.  Too many pixels around, I ought to have known considering I've played PC games at about that resolution.  SDTVs have scanlines, and that looks better than 480p, to me anyway.  I'm sure some people would disagree.

PS:  You didn't really show me anything by dismissing the whole sports genre because it's only for "casuals" then you argue the Wii will dominate the world with its casual games.

When the hell did I even say the Wii will dominate the world with casual games?  I believe quite the opposite, I think the casual games will give the Wii a boost and eventually they will get more traditional games and much like the PS2 that will ensure their domination of the market.  Most of the games I listed are not casual games.  As for the sports genre, please, read some boards.  Sports games are generally hated by people who post on gaming boards, that's because people who post on boards are generally hardcore gamers.  I know a ton of people who play sports games and most of them only own a few other games, often racing games since anyone can pick up a racing game easily.  Also, most of them have never even heard of Final Fantasy.  Ever notice that Madden NFL never makes any of the greatest games of all time lists despite the fact that it's one of the most popular franchises in America?  Very few hardcore gamers would touch Madden NFL.  Also, whenever I see lists of games that people own on message boards or lists of favorite games I don't see many people posting sports games.  Sports games are the most popular genre of games there is, but it's because of casual gamers, not the types of people who post on message boards. 

I think this topic somes up the opinion of real gamers on sports games nicely: http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=930752&topic=36643723