By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - PS3 $100 price drop Sunday

Xyrax said:
ckmlb said:
Xyrax said:
ckmlb said:
Stop building up expectations for a skyrocketing of sales so that I don't have to listen to people crapping on the PS3 again if it doesn't.

The sales of this will come in the holidays mostly, in July and August it will be an increase but not big (it might reach 360 levels though if it goes well).

Why must you destroy my dreams? I want...I NEED some excitement again, the summer is soooooo boring.

Jesus what are you doing? go play games. Don't have any systems? so many games to play right now.

Err Im anticipating sales, on the only, and I mean ONLY website devoted to that of sales and marketshare tracking for the 3 consoles on the internet. Are you seriously telling me it shocking to you that on VGChartz there are those of us who just absolutely love to follow the industries numbers month after month? Dude this is the FIRST place you should look to find those type of people. I dont know why you acting like I'm the one out of place here.

I never said you're out of place. You said you were so bored, I said there are lots of games to play. Even I spend more times playing games than posting on most days lol...

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
Andir said:
ckmlb said:
thetonestarr said:
Such a significant price-cut so early in a console's life is never, ever a good sign.

Gamecube and Xbox and PS1 all had price cuts sooner.

Not that I don't agree that the price cut doesn't determine the overall outcome, but putting the XBox and Gamecube in there?

Personally, I think it's great, and maybe Sony was shooting high with the price knowing that the production costs would drop this summer.  Perhaps they didn't expect to have to price it lower this soon, but I'm sure they aren't hurting anymore than before...

I believe the Ps1 cut its price by 1/3.

This is awesome, I am beginning to change my mind about Sony. This is a very smart move I think, coming from an advertising angle they can now start running ads with a shiny new $500 tag and drill this into peoples minds for the holidays.

Welp, here we go. The spending wars continue to rage, and both MS and Sony have fired another bullet.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a324/Arkives/Disccopy.jpg%5B/IMG%5D">

Apparently the PS3 price cut is in Canada too, not just the US.

Thanks to Blacksaber for the sig!

Around the Network
leo-j said:
totalwar23 said:
yay, but i still have to wait till it drops down to $199
it's going to be a long wait.

WATA F?! lol  it will never happen.

ehh yes it will if it gets a 10 years lifespann. But it might be 4-5 years before we buy the thing.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

ckmlb said:
thetonestarr said:
Such a significant price-cut so early in a console's life is never, ever a good sign.

Gamecube and Xbox and PS1 all had price cuts sooner.

Well PS1 is a good example, GameCube and xbox didn't end that well. So still thetonestarr has a point.

I am actualy suprised about this price cut, I belived that they would have done this just before christmas with a relaunch, mayby some new color, a packed in game etc.

Buy it and pray to the gods of Sigs: Naznatips!

misterd said:

Nintendo may not respond to the Sony drop, but they will have to respond when MS responds as that will put the 360 in the Wii price range`

It wouldn't make a difference as price isn't the only thing that sells a console(though as we've seen this gen, it does matter).

The more expensive PS1 and PS2 outsold the N64, Gamecube, and Dreamcast, and in the former case, even the Saturn outsold the N64 in Japan.

Even if the Core or Premium were priced at $250-$300, it wouldn't sell anywhere near as much as the Wii because the 360 itself and its software don't have a lot of broad appeal. Nearly all of its games target the same audience(older American males), which is why it does pretty well in N. America, but rather mediocre in Europe and very poorly in Japan. The Wii, on the other hand, does have broad appeal and hence is able to target an audience that the 360(and PS3) can't reach.

Anyway, I don't think Microsoft will respond with a price drop unless the PS3 starts to eat into 360 sales. They've never turned a profit with the 360, they're going to lose even more money fixing all of those defective units, and they just released the Elite not three months ago. Dropping the price on the Premium and Core would make the price of that thing look even more bloated than it already does, no one would buy it, and releasing the unit would have all been for nothing. 

Consoles owned: Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, PSP, DS, PS3

hmmm I don't know if this will have much effect at all. Sony already had a $500 PS3 and it sold pretty badly. Anyone could have purchased a $500 PS3 ages ago, will the addition of 40GB and a flash card make a $500 console any more appealing?

Help! I'm stuck in a forum signature!

They need to bring back the 20GB model at $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!