By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has your opinion changed on the PS3 - Post E3 / Leipzig?

saprano1 said:
Also in what way does Netflix not challenge BLU RAY? It's far cheaper, has HD films in 1080P and only costs $50 a year to watch what ever you want without having to go to a shop. Can you fit 10,000 films on your shelves at home???

Those HD films that are in 1080p are compressed to hell, a streaming or downloaded HD movie can in no way compare to a blu-ray disc, look it up. and those 10,000 film from nerflix on xbox live are all in SD. and again you need to already be a member to use, i dont know what gives you the idea that this can compeat with blu-ray. NOTHING will every compare to have a big screen TV a reciever with a 5.1 or 7.1 sound system, and people like having something physical to collect. disc based media will never go away, why would you put thousands of movies on a hard drive? what if it crashes? people will always want something thay can hold in there hads and put on a shelf......if anything netflix will HELP blu-ray, people will rent a blu-ray disc to see if they like it then buy it.

talk all you want about compression....

i've rented an HD movie from xbox market place and i've watched a blu ray at my friends on blu ray.  if i can't see the difference there is no difference.

Around the Network
kitler53 said:
Euphoria14 said:

Also come to think of it. I can pay $10 a month and rent out one HD movie at a time. $14.99 gets me 2 at a time.

Xbox users pay $10 and rent out as many HD movies at a time all day and night every month?

If true, expect HUGE issues with the current 8million + user subscription base.

This is why I do not think it as people think it is.

I would call them up and demand a free box to stream to my TV. I would expect many others to do the same.

Personally, I think many of you are in for disappointment.

http://www.roku.com/

This deal simply makes it so you don't have to buy their box to stream unlimited content because the 360 takes the place of owning a roku.

So it does in fact only gie you the selection I have. So thus far I am correct in terms of the movie selection.

As for me demanding the box, I would still do so because it would not require me to pay $50 a year on top of my current Netflix subscription. I am already paying $120 a year, I don't need to make it $170.

I don't know why they require a Gold account as well. That is the part I do not like.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Euphoria14 said:
selnor said:
Euphoria14 said:
selnor said:
Euphoria14 said:

I see people talking about Bluray being nullified because of the Netflix agreement.

Do any of these people even have a Netflix account?

People are saying they are constantly adding HD movies. Yes, they are, but only Bluray. Instant view movies are SD only, no HD option for viewing. I use the instant view feature sometimes. I hear people saying "download" as well, the movies are streamed.

Also 10,000 movies, yes. Have you seen the selection as I have? Majority of it is B rated movies or old classic films. New releases are not added and the newest selection that I have seen in the last few days that is not a B rated low budget Zombie flick is from 2005-2006.

Looking for high budget top notch films? You won't find them anywhere on Netflix instant view.

Take this from a 2 year subscriber.

You obviously missed the E3 announcement where they said that Netflix in particular for Live are releasing the HD films as quick as possible. And on Live they are instant downloads. Are you aware that MS have paid money to them to have the latest films available straight away? How do you think they make money if everything is free for Live gold users? In the demo they showed the titles of films like The Bourne Ultimatum, Hitman and Pirates of The Caribean. Also my latest 360 mag have actually had the privelege of watching Pirates of The carribean 3 in 1080p downloaded from Netflix via Live and said that on their Toshiba 50" there was no noticeable difference from any BLU RAY FILM quality.

It is not free for Gold Users.

You have to pay the Netflix account subscription along with the Gold Live subscription.

You still fail to understand that there is no possible way you are getting unlimited downloads for just the $10 netflix subscription price.

If so, netflix would seriously piss off their current userbase. Why do we pay $10-20 for unlimited downloads of trash at SD settings and XBox users supposedly get unlimited downloads of new released HD movies?

Wouldn't this also make the XBox live movie marketplace useless too?

Download Pirates for $6.00 in HD or pay $10 and watch Pirates, Hitman, etc... all in on night, in one sitting, then watch 4 more movies the next day, all new releases, all day all night.

Something is wrong here. I don't think it is as you say it is.

If you get those downloads, they will without a doubt have some charge to it.

I think I'm being misunderstood. Yes you have to pay for an unlimited Netflix subscription which I believe is at lowest now $8.99/month. However the comment about free at the press conference for Live gold users was aimed at the HD films. This is where some deal between them comes in. The point of still supplying films on Live with single prices is obviously for those who dont want to pay monthly. What ever the cost it saves me thousands of pounds not buying BLU RAY films at £20 a time here in the UK.

To those who mention quality issues. It is not noticable to the average user. Jeez.

Now of course those will need to have limitations to how many can be downloaded per day. I can not imagine unlimited all day long. It would just be too unfair to users like me who only have an SD selection, need to wait for delivery, and better yet... need to pay more.

Either way, $10 gets me next day delivery for all my Bluray needs, so how does this hurt exactly? How many silver members, who already have access to the XBox Live movie store are going to shell out $100 a year for Netflix access (Netflix + Gold)?

This is not going to make anywhere near as big an impact as people think. This is my opinion.

I think MS needs to stop worrying about get into everything and just start focusing on spending their money on getting some 1st party dev studios. Wouldn't you agree?

It could draw sales for the 360. Yhose who have netflix and no hd console culd pick up a 360 and stream if they have an unlimited Netflix account. Either way it is certainly a better option for me than getting either bluray player or ps3 as it saves me money considering I already own 360 to. streaming and downloading is certainly the future and inevitable.

selnor said:
Euphoria14 said:
selnor said:
Euphoria14 said:
selnor said:
Euphoria14 said:

I see people talking about Bluray being nullified because of the Netflix agreement.

Do any of these people even have a Netflix account?

People are saying they are constantly adding HD movies. Yes, they are, but only Bluray. Instant view movies are SD only, no HD option for viewing. I use the instant view feature sometimes. I hear people saying "download" as well, the movies are streamed.

Also 10,000 movies, yes. Have you seen the selection as I have? Majority of it is B rated movies or old classic films. New releases are not added and the newest selection that I have seen in the last few days that is not a B rated low budget Zombie flick is from 2005-2006.

Looking for high budget top notch films? You won't find them anywhere on Netflix instant view.

Take this from a 2 year subscriber.

You obviously missed the E3 announcement where they said that Netflix in particular for Live are releasing the HD films as quick as possible. And on Live they are instant downloads. Are you aware that MS have paid money to them to have the latest films available straight away? How do you think they make money if everything is free for Live gold users? In the demo they showed the titles of films like The Bourne Ultimatum, Hitman and Pirates of The Caribean. Also my latest 360 mag have actually had the privelege of watching Pirates of The carribean 3 in 1080p downloaded from Netflix via Live and said that on their Toshiba 50" there was no noticeable difference from any BLU RAY FILM quality.

It is not free for Gold Users.

You have to pay the Netflix account subscription along with the Gold Live subscription.

You still fail to understand that there is no possible way you are getting unlimited downloads for just the $10 netflix subscription price.

If so, netflix would seriously piss off their current userbase. Why do we pay $10-20 for unlimited downloads of trash at SD settings and XBox users supposedly get unlimited downloads of new released HD movies?

Wouldn't this also make the XBox live movie marketplace useless too?

Download Pirates for $6.00 in HD or pay $10 and watch Pirates, Hitman, etc... all in on night, in one sitting, then watch 4 more movies the next day, all new releases, all day all night.

Something is wrong here. I don't think it is as you say it is.

If you get those downloads, they will without a doubt have some charge to it.

I think I'm being misunderstood. Yes you have to pay for an unlimited Netflix subscription which I believe is at lowest now $8.99/month. However the comment about free at the press conference for Live gold users was aimed at the HD films. This is where some deal between them comes in. The point of still supplying films on Live with single prices is obviously for those who dont want to pay monthly. What ever the cost it saves me thousands of pounds not buying BLU RAY films at £20 a time here in the UK.

To those who mention quality issues. It is not noticable to the average user. Jeez.

Now of course those will need to have limitations to how many can be downloaded per day. I can not imagine unlimited all day long. It would just be too unfair to users like me who only have an SD selection, need to wait for delivery, and better yet... need to pay more.

Either way, $10 gets me next day delivery for all my Bluray needs, so how does this hurt exactly? How many silver members, who already have access to the XBox Live movie store are going to shell out $100 a year for Netflix access (Netflix + Gold)?

This is not going to make anywhere near as big an impact as people think. This is my opinion.

I think MS needs to stop worrying about get into everything and just start focusing on spending their money on getting some 1st party dev studios. Wouldn't you agree?

It could draw sales for the 360. Yhose who have netflix and no hd console culd pick up a 360 and stream if they have an unlimited Netflix account. Either way it is certainly a better option for me than getting either bluray player or ps3 as it saves me money considering I already own 360 to. streaming and downloading is certainly the future and inevitable.

It isn't the future yet. Still many year away. I also expect people will always prefer a solid copy to all digital. I would when it comes to my games.

If people are really worries about streaming to their TV's, they would buy the $100 box instead of a $300 box + $50 subscription fee on top of their Netflix fee.

Either way I can see why people would think this is good, but to say it can draw in more sales, I doubt it as you still need to pay ~$20 a month on top of the console purchase.  Of course, if this were available to Silver members... I could easily see this as a selling point. If I did not already have a 360 I would probably buy one for this. As this would replace the need to buy the box. 3 years down the line though, seeing as downloads are the future... you are already overpaying the cost of the Netflix box. That will only keep going up.

Also to be honest, I wouldn't want to put the extra strain on my Xbox. Fable 2 is going to beat it up enough.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

talk all you want about compression....

i've rented an HD movie from xbox market place and i've watched a blu ray at my friends on blu ray. if i can't see the difference there is no difference.

Ethere your lying or your freind has a crappy tv,or its not set up right,or you saw an already crappy blu-ray transfer. i'll say it again......dowloads is no match for blu-ray.
streaming and downloading is certainly the future and inevitable.
Ha i guess you plan on waiting a loooooooong time for downloads to even have a vialble market. internet speeds are still not fast enough, and the ones that are cost to much money. downlaods wont have a place in the market until everyone has a fast connection at a good price, and thats still 10 to 20 years away. face it...blu-ray is not going anywhere, people love to have something hold and collect.

Around the Network

No. Fat Princess is a turn off in and of itself.

since PS3 already has a browser. couldnt they just install the codec to stream movies from netflix?

PSN: B_U_L_L_D_O_G_G

XBL: BiggBully

Wii: 6629 9857 7201 4139

Still no. No "must have games", few RPGs, average looking shooters...they do have good games in the tactical espionage department though.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

I love the PS3 more and more Sony just keeps adding to it and it doesnt cost me anything. They support their console more than anyone else and listen to what the fans crave. After E3 i was pumped even more so after Leipzig how many things can this console do.

The prelaunch FUD still lingers in many peoples thoughts and mind but soon it will be too hard to deny its place in entertainment.

Nope, didn't change my mind...

Why?

Well, let me start by saying Sony has 3 consoles to worry about, unlike Microsoft and Nintendo. Don't give any fanboyish counter arguments against this because it's true.

Before anyone says, "who's fault is that?." Don't ask this question because its
ridiculous.

Ps3:causing astonishment or amazement.