By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Has your opinion changed on the PS3 - Post E3 / Leipzig?

No.

Price is still way too high in my opinion.

I'm a very casual gamer and for my tastes there is very little of interest on the PS3 still and very little in the pipe. LBP looks promising but not enough to warrent a console purchase.

At this point if I was to get a HD console it'd be 360 since the price is better (arguably) and it has many more games I'm interested in (Mass Effect, Fable 2, Dead Rising)

Edit: Just watched the Heavy Rain video.  That is by far the most (for me) interesting game I've seen on PS3.  That's the first game that's made me even want one but to be honest I'd rather use Wii's waggle for that type of gameplay than pressing random buttons, it's much more intuitive and tactile.

Around the Network

I feel a lot of posters are in some sense missing the point. I would assume that the primary goal for both Microsoft and Sony at this point is to present something that appeals to those who haven't both any of the two consoles. While of course neither party would mind converting the owners of the other console, I doubt it is their main competitive goal, for that the market segment is to small. So people who use arguments like 'why would I get a PS3 when I can play DMC4 or GTA4 on my Xbox360' are probably representing the part of the market Sony cares the least about atm. Maybe in 2-3 years when the console market is more saturated the focus will switch to converting people, but at the moment its all about the late adopters still on their PS2 or who haven't had a console before at all (and to a lesser degree Wii owners).

And for this market I do think the PS3 got some major selling points. First of all is that Sony still has a very strong first party lineup with established franchises. Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Socom, Wipeout, Singstar, Buzz!, Gran Tourismo to name a few are titles which should help endeare Sony to this audience. Major 3rd party titles are almost all going cross platform, which will over time grow the importance of Sony's strong lineup of 1st party titles.

Also for a new customer I think that while the PS3 is more expensive there is a good chance they will feel that the value add Sony offer in form of Blu-Ray support and media center functionality adds more value than the current price difference. Sony's other advantages like built in wi-fi, easy (and cheap) hard disk upgrades and support for standardized accessories like blutooth headsets and usb devices might also play in, but I think for the causal crows such 'technical' items might not be part of their initial buying decision (although I am sure they will ponder the question if they go the xbox route and at a later point realize Microsoft is charging them through the nose for a bigger HD ).

Uraeus said:
I feel a lot of posters are in some sense missing the point. I would assume that the primary goal for both Microsoft and Sony at this point is to present something that appeals to those who haven't both any of the two consoles. While of course neither party would mind converting the owners of the other console, I doubt it is their main competitive goal, for that the market segment is to small. So people who use arguments like 'why would I get a PS3 when I can play DMC4 or GTA4 on my Xbox360' are probably representing the part of the market Sony cares the least about atm. Maybe in 2-3 years when the console market is more saturated the focus will switch to converting people, but at the moment its all about the late adopters still on their PS2 or who haven't had a console before at all (and to a lesser degree Wii owners).

And for this market I do think the PS3 got some major selling points. First of all is that Sony still has a very strong first party lineup with established franchises. Ratchet and Clank, Jak and Daxter, Socom, Wipeout, Singstar, Buzz!, Gran Tourismo to name a few are titles which should help endeare Sony to this audience. Major 3rd party titles are almost all going cross platform, which will over time grow the importance of Sony's strong lineup of 1st party titles.

Also for a new customer I think that while the PS3 is more expensive there is a good chance they will feel that the value add Sony offer in form of Blu-Ray support and media center functionality adds more value than the current price difference. Sony's other advantages like built in wi-fi, easy (and cheap) hard disk upgrades and support for standardized accessories like blutooth headsets and usb devices might also play in, but I think for the causal crows such 'technical' items might not be part of their initial buying decision (although I am sure they will ponder the question if they go the xbox route and at a later point realize Microsoft is charging them through the nose for a bigger HD ).

The thing is for americans at least, by the end of the year BLU RAY is all but nullified. I can understand that some people want to own an actual disc. But by christmas if you have gold membership with 360 you have free access to Netflix entire library ( I believe 10,000 was stated at E3) and Netflix are currently adding all HD films. So in theory anyone who has xbox live has 10,000 films at there fingertips without leaving your armchair. This is exactly what M$ have been gearing towards. Finally I wont have to end up paying £20 for 1 Blu Ray film to watch in HD. I can begin downloading and after 5 mins start watching. Thats the future. And for me certainly nullifies the BLU RAY drive for films.

8 of my current catalogue of games are 360 exclusive at this time all of which M$ are the publisher and apart from Wipeout that you mentioned the other PS3 games you state do not mean the same as 360 exclusives I currently have that wowed me.

I like that PS3 is sticking with it's goal of being a media hub, but for me this also hurts it as I have a PC's to do ALOT of the things that the PS3 does.

What would make it more appealing to me, and the same can be said for Xbox 360, is more top quality 1St party games. The all the multi-platform games they share together (PS3/X360/PC) doesn't lend itself to a MUST buy.

...To me for something you WANT price is NEVER an issue, it's whether or not you can JUSTIFY that cost that is always the issue.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

I love it more. It's proven that no matter the start there's always a way to get things steady and ok again.

4 ≈ One

Around the Network
Rainbird said:
I don't really feel any different after GC about the PS3, it was basicly a confirmation of what most had guessed would happen. Casual focus.
Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3, it's great.
I think that Eyepet seems really fun, from the trailer at least (which I doubt is ingame as the game is out late '09), and it could be something I just pick up every once in a while if I just need to chill or have a visit from my younger cousins. Which is basicly what the game is designed for I believe (pick up and play).

I agreed about the casual focus, but I think Sony is going to find it MAYBE easier to get the hardcore auction then the causal one. Part of Nintendo's strategy, starting with the DS, was to get the harder market, Causal as you call it, first then to win over the Hardcore market. As has been noted previously on VGC, it started roughly the third year of the DS existence; the Wii is continuing the same path.

…Hopefully the proposed new price point for the X360 doesn’t derail the PS3 from following its strategy.

The Interweb is about overreaction, this is what makes it great!

...Imagine how boring the interweb would be if everyone thought logically?

senortaco said:
I like that PS3 is sticking with it's goal of being a media hub, but for me this also hurts it as I have a PC's to do ALOT of the things that the PS3 does.

What would make it more appealing to me, and the same can be said for Xbox 360, is more top quality 1St party games. The all the multi-platform games they share together (PS3/X360/PC) doesn't lend itself to a MUST buy.

...To me for something you WANT price is NEVER an issue, it's whether or not you can JUSTIFY that cost that is always the issue.

Agree
 Finally someone said it....I can't stand when people use price as a knock on a console.  If you can't afford a BMW don't cry about it and try to say that BMW makes crappy overpriced cars....just go buy your self a Ford Focus and be happy.

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”

Stephen Henry Roberts

nope.

...because i can name every ps3 game i'm interested in (released or announced): LBP, rachet and clank tools of destruction, quest for booty, and whatever next years will be called, pixel junk eden.

as long as ps3 stays focused on "mature" gaming there just won't be enough to appeal to me to make it worth the purchase.

selnor said:
Uraeus said:

The thing is for americans at least, by the end of the year BLU RAY is all but nullified. I can understand that some people want to own an actual disc. But by christmas if you have gold membership with 360 you have free access to Netflix entire library ( I believe 10,000 was stated at E3) and Netflix are currently adding all HD films. So in theory anyone who has xbox live has 10,000 films at there fingertips without leaving your armchair. This is exactly what M$ have been gearing towards. Finally I wont have to end up paying £20 for 1 Blu Ray film to watch in HD. I can begin downloading and after 5 mins start watching. Thats the future. And for me certainly nullifies the BLU RAY drive for films.

8 of my current catalogue of games are 360 exclusive at this time all of which M$ are the publisher and apart from Wipeout that you mentioned the other PS3 games you state do not mean the same as 360 exclusives I currently have that wowed me.

in so much agreement it hurts.  my 360 has been unplugged for over a year now but i'm super excited for this.  right now i spent about $50 on dvds a month so for less money i get more content!  how awesome is that!!!  plus between dvds and video games i've almost filled 3 bookshelves - i'm soo tired of devoting that much space to them, i want my living room back. xD

When I turn on my Wii to play a game, I get pretty excited, because when I turn it on for a game, it means I have a good Nintendo 1st party game to play in-hand. Sadly this doesn't happen often enough.

When I turn on my 360 to play a game, I feel very similar to the way I feel when I turn on my PS2 (not PS3) -- I feel like sitting down and gaming. I play for a while, turn it off. Its satisfying, good gaming experience.

When I turn on my PS3 to play a game, I feel like I'm headed to the movie theatre, or a good play. The gaming is epic and awesome (I have 7.1 surround too, so that helps). Everytime I see something cool up-and-coming on the PS3, I get stoked, because my PS3 is my favorite, no matter how many good experiences my other consoles have given me. My PS3 gaming experiences are the best, individually... but its still suffering a little from a lack of good new titles, similar to the Wii.

I see that changing though. The PS3, already the best quality entertainment in my living room, I can only hope will soon become the console I turn on the most, as well. Right now the PS2 and X360 are still the kings of usage.