By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How to record Xbox 360 footage to your PC?

JaggedSac said:
I am assuming you do not have a video camera?

No... What are you thinking of... Because we don't want video Tape the screen lol

Guitar Hero 3/ Smash Hits
Around the Network

My room mates and I took a VCR and hooked the Xbox into the front input composite jacks. Then for the output, we plugged in our video camera and set it to VCR mode to be able to see and record the signal. Lastly, we split the video and left audio (white) signals to also go to the TV so we can see what we're doing as well as having some sound. Seeing as how that's going to be your 'camera' player, we then covered up the hud on the TV screen to properly judge the frame and what we want to record.

We had the composite cables, camera, VCR, and splitters to do this so it was free. Also, the quality was good for what it was too.

The lower quality alternative is practically the same thing, but hook the camera up through firewire to a PC and capture it live. We tried doing that at first, but there was a delay and a weak signal and thus, the video quality suffered. It's kind of funny, the video we made was mostly shot through this method, but a few parts were shot later using what I described above and the difference is night and day in the finished video.

wow now that is the answer I wanted thanks

I used to hook my N64 up through my VCR back in the days to record Perfect Dark matches and some wrestling matches. Then you could just get a cheap capture card to go from there.

Love the product, not the company. They love your money, not you.

-TheRealMafoo

A long, long time ago...I used a VCR to record the TV whilst I was playing OoT. It worked fairly well for what I wanted to do.

Back from the dead, I'm afraid.