By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - What happened to sales of the Wii recently this month anyway?

Last year there was a dropoff from July to October so it should come as no surprise. There were some stubborn people who wouldn't believe stockpiling was occuring. Now it's undeniable that stockpiling occured.

Around the Network

@obieslut ^lol

yushire said:
HappySqurriel said:

I think there are two reasonable reasons ...

In most years 40% to 50% of all system sales happen between October 1st and December 31st which means that the rest of the year system sales are pretty slow; there are certain times of the year when this is noticeably worse, mainly the first 6 to 8 weeks of the year as people feel the crunch from their holiday overspending and the later summer weeks as people are focused less on playing videogames as they are on other things. On top of this, I think Nintendo may have taken advantage of the lower demand to build a tiny stockpile to get ready for the holiday push (which is only about 6 to 8 weeks away).

So we can see 50 percent spike of sales during September till christmas season? BTW is it also happening in other consoles not only the Wii? The low sales I mean...

The sales boosts are not that linear ...

September is usually a big month compared to the previous 8 months mainly because a lot of big games get released in anticipation of the holiday season, but people really haven't started "Christmas" shopping in large numbers yet. October 1st through November 15th (about) are much bigger than September because almost all of the remaining big game releases will happen in this timeframe, and people will begin picking up their Christmas gifts (in particular products that will be difficult to find). After November 15th if it is on the shelf it will probably sell ...

It's over. It's a fad.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

Far be it from me to damage control, but our usual indicators seem to still tell us the console is severely supply constrained.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

Around the Network

NOOOO ur all wrong its defiantly the fact that it was a fad and has no lineup lol (insert anooying giggle joke here)

Yeah... a month of easy-to-find Wiis at the local stores... must be supply constraints.

Nintendo has to stockpile, because they wouldn't want to be out of Wiis over the Holidays... again. They want some spares on the shelves then, and to make money later, rather than sooner. That "sell as fast as we can make them" really hurt them in the past... didn't it? Oh wait...

Its the PS3s that are supply constrained, due to an old SKU inventory clearing. Its the X360s that are constrained, due to clearance sale on an old SKU. Where do you guys get the idea that Wiis are constrained in NA, other than just guessing? Why are the other systems still selling at the same-old, same-old rates, if summer is downtime for console purchases? The clearance might explain it for the X360, but why the PS3? There's no price drop...

I'm not saying that Nintendo isn't "stockpiling" for some wierd "we're still in demand" psychological reason, or that they for certain are not supply constrained in some parts of NA (except in my area they sure aren't -- Wiis are available everywhere), but... lets hear some decent reasoning, rather than jumping to conclusions.

The fad is over.

Groucho said:

Yeah... a month of easy-to-find Wiis at the local stores... must be supply constraints.

Nintendo has to stockpile, because they wouldn't want to be out of Wiis over the Holidays... again. They want some spares on the shelves then, and to make money later, rather than sooner. That "sell as fast as we can make them" really hurt them in the past... didn't it? Oh wait...

Its the PS3s that are supply constrained, due to an old SKU inventory clearing. Its the X360s that are constrained, due to clearance sale on an old SKU. Where do you guys get the idea that Wiis are constrained in NA, other than just guessing? Why are the other systems still selling at the same-old, same-old rates, if summer is downtime for console purchases? The clearance might explain it for the X360, but why the PS3? There's no price drop...

Well, there are a few things.

Nintendo Wiis are still unavailable from Amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Wii-nintendo/dp/B0009VXBAQ/ref=sr_tr_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1219203567&sr=8-1

Nintendo Wiis are going for around 300+ dollar average price on Ebay. Here's a link to a bid ending in 15 minutes, that has gotten up to 305.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-WII-NINTENDO-1-GAME-CONSOLE-SYSTEM-2-CONTRS-W-GAMES_W0QQitemZ130248077104QQihZ003QQcategoryZ139971QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Amazon stores are selling the Wii new for 35 more dollars than it costs on the shelf.

As well as the high probability that your anecdotes are made up, due to your dislike of the Wii, rather than your actual experience. Anyway, what are you, guessing?

...and there is also your lack of knowledge concerning generally accepted indicators of supply constraint, which is odd considering your post was very hostile, despite that ignorance.

There's also your complete ignorance of the evidence we've seen of stockpiling in the past, as FishyJoe pointed out. Nobody has been able to completely explain why it happens, but it certainly does. You should ask someone to present such evidence, as I doubt you would be able to determine for yourself if it was true, due to your obvious lack of knowledge about a subject that have been explored on this forum over the past year. I assure you it exists. I'm not sure it is a factor in the current shortage, but I'm not here to speculate. I'm only commenting on the evidence. None of which is anecdotal. That sort of evidence is very often fake.

I see why you picked the avatar "Groucho" though. You need to get learn a little bit more about the history of the Wii supply issue before you start flaming everyone baselessly.

However, you must be correct. The fad is over.

It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

RolStoppable said:
amp316 said:
It's over. It's a fad.

I always knew that the blue team wouldn't last forever. The red team rules!

Lol, I need to go back and retake the series...

By me:

Made with Blender + LuxRender
"Since you can´t understand ... there is no point to taking you seriously."