By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the differences between a hardcore and a casual gamer?

Penis size.

Around the Network

NPD had a survey out recently where they categorized players by their purhasing and playing habit.

The hardcore segment represented 3% of the 174 millions gamers in the US.
It was the smallest by far.
However it was the one with the most purchasing power as those same gamers purchases in average 24 games in the October-December 2007 period.

Full article is here :

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19802

PS3-Xbox360 gap : 1.5 millions and going up in PS3 favor !

PS3-Wii gap : 20 millions and going down !

i know that im a hardcoregamer

One is well informed of the industry and the other isn't. One uses gaming as a hobby while the other does it on the weekends. This is really the only difference. It has nothing to do with the games they buy, the amount of games they buy, or any of those false rumors these media sites would like you to be.

In reality it's just the difference between the insiders and the mainstream.

Casual=someone who plays games when he/she has nothing else to do.
Hardcore=Gaming is life, They play games to master them, to COMPLETE them 100%

The there is the another kind of gamer Core-gamer, where gaming is a hobby they prefer over anything else, but still manage to have relations with other people

Around the Network

@Ail: The survey didn't say a word about hardcore, so that doesn't have anything to do with this topic. I find some of their categories strange, since there weren't "avid console gamer" and "console online gamer", when PC had the equivalents.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

Hardcore gamers have beaten Superman on Nintendo 64. Casual gamers haven't.

I've got my copy of Superman ten days ago, but I've yet to play it. So, I'm still a casual gamer. I hope I'll achieve getting the hardcore gamer status soon.

bloody swamp said:
Hardcore gamers have beaten Superman on Nintendo 64. Casual gamers haven't.

I've got my copy of Superman ten days ago, but I've yet to play it. So, I'm still a casual gamer. I hope I'll achieve getting the hardcore gamer status soon.

Yeah, fly through the goddamn rings, or else you'll ruin the industry.

Also, you have to defeat Ganon in the CD-i Zelda's.

I've heard casual gamers have more sex because they're not busy collecting pokemens.

Bionic Commando Rearmed.