By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What are the differences between a hardcore and a casual gamer?

For example is it the knowledge of the industry or how good the person is at games?If someone is good at a certain game but knows nothing about the publisher,developer will he be consider hardcore or casual?.On the other hand if someone knows alot about games but sucks at then will he be hardcore or casual?.When do you know someone is hardcore because they beat X game or because they complete a certain game.Can someone please define each term and give reasons to support them.In addition if someone is a graphic whore and only plays games that look good will that person be consider hardcore?

Around the Network

Hardcore is a term gamers who give a shit about those things want to be referred to and casual is the word they use to bring others down that aren't like them. Criteria doesn't matter. Simple enough?

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Magic.

Really! It's just an arbitrary difference where some douchebags decided that they're too good for some games and that they're 'hardcore' and that people who play 'stupid non-games' are 'casuals'.

Wii has more 20 million sellers than PS3 has 5 million sellers.

Acolyte of Disruption

Casuals play on Nintendo, hardcores play on Sony.

That's it.

There will be different opinions on the definitions, and there isn't really a factual definition. In reality Casual, and Hardcore are just labels given to two of many different demographics. That is it. Everybody has their own labels and it will be different based on their opinion, so unfortunately you won't find an answer to your question.

Around the Network

Hardcores play only shooters with tons of Bald Space Marines (TM) and say racist and homophobic comments online and are very cool that way.

Casuals play everything else such as jRPGs, platformers, karaoke, etc.

Yes, this is a joke post.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Well, I always thought hardcore gamers were the ones that play hard and unusual games, not games that everyone play like Call of Duty 4 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe I would consider someone hardcore in these games if they show a decent amount of skills though, but I'd rather use the term ''no-lifes'' or ''it's the only game you play anyway'' if that's the case! XD

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

SHMUPGurus said:
Well, I always thought hardcore gamers were the ones that play hard and unusual games, not games that everyone play like Call of Duty 4 or Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Maybe I would consider someone hardcore in these games if they show a decent amount of skills though, but I'd rather use the term ''no-lifes'' or ''it's the only game you play anyway'' if that's the case! XD

I used to think that same way too. People that punished themselves with the few difficult games left, or played NES games were the real hardcore gamers. When you look up the definition of hardcore though, what you find is the people that like violent and gratuitous games actually fit the definition the best.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

Hardcore games: Plays games, and knows information about them.

Casual: Plays games, but knows nothing about them.

Question # 1
Casual

Question # 2
Hardcore

Hardcore - the opposite of casual

Casual - the opposite of Hardcore