By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So, seems like it's well accepted that...

@Steve nailed on the head.

PS3 has the hardware longivety advantage but in gaming you need software to be succesfull and guess what Microsoft has.

But it looks like it's only a matter of time, the problem about making a Me Too console is that your splitting your possible earnings which is a double edge sword, they are fighting tooth and nail.

At this poin they may seal thier own coffin as I'm sure gamers on the Sony platform will witness a nice suprise by 2010, which may be a bad business move by Sony as it could hurt thier image with 3rd parties, however 3rd parties like Capcom are the true bad guys in this.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network

There's no denying Wii will win (well you can deny it but that's just wishful thinking at this point).

I'm not convinced PS3 will finish 2nd. For sure it'll give the 360 a real run for it's money and it'll be very close. However the real key to success in this generation for both MS & Sony is to recoop all losses and make a meaningful profit. If they can do that they everybody has 'won' this generation.

Sony's 10-year plan is BS. Mark my words: we'll see a PS4 released in late 2011, with announcements likely starting in late 2009.

Complexity is not depth. Machismo is not maturity. Obsession is not dedication. Tedium is not challenge. Support gaming: support the Wii.

Be the ultimate ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today! Poisson Village welcomes new players.

What do I hate about modern gaming? I hate tedium replacing challenge, complexity replacing depth, and domination replacing entertainment. I hate the outsourcing of mechanics to physics textbooks, art direction to photocopiers, and story to cheap Hollywood screenwriters. I hate the confusion of obsession with dedication, style with substance, new with gimmicky, old with obsolete, new with evolutionary, and old with time-tested.
There is much to hate about modern gaming. That is why I support the Wii.

NintendoTogepi said:

...while the exact numbers are still quite unknown, it seems pretty clear that Nintendo will win by a large margin, followed by Sony in second, and then Microsoft last.

Do you agree?

While I think Sony will probably surpass Microsoft overall before both systems are obsoleted in 2011 or 2012, I don't think it will be enough to declare victory.  Since Microsoft will have spent more than half of this generation in the lead, it looks more like Sony "lost" the generation, even if the end up with slightly better numbers.

Both systems may settle under 55 million total.

There's no way Sony will get 10 years out of the PS3. They're scraping 8 years with the PS2 (7 for the US) and it is really losing momentum.  And the PS2 was much less costly for Sony than the PS3.

I agree with most posts here. Wii first, 360/PS3 head to head. So close, it won't even matter.

will be like last generation, Gamcube and Xbox sold very equal. Do you really care today that Xbox did slightly better than gamecube? Just the win counts and that is nintendo this generation.

But just checking were everybody came from, it is a slap in sonys face. Playstation sold more than 120 million units, Xbox sold 24 million and gamecube 21 million. So Nintendo will be like 400% - 500% (unbeliveable) better than last generation, Xbox will improve 80% - 100% (impressive) and Sony - 50% - -60% (shocking).

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Around the Network

the 360 is in it's best year and the PS3 is still doing better - next year we will see slightly droping 360 sales (by 5-10%) but rising PS3 sales (by at least 15%) making the PS3 overtake the 360 next year and ending up at 10million+ over 360's lifetime sales at the end of the gen

my prediction is based on the fact, that the 3rd year of existence historically always was the best year for "successful consoles" (non-successful consoles had it's peak in the first or second year) with sales droping off slowly afterwards - the PS3 in this sense will be a "successful console" aswell, as it's third year will quite surely be better than the second one

Millennium said:
Sony's 10-year plan is BS. Mark my words: we'll see a PS4 released in late 2011, with announcements likely starting in late 2009.

why is that so hard to believe? If sony came out with another system in a couple of years what exactly would it do?

Would it not include Blu Ray?No, that would be stupid, as they have already invested WAY to much into to just forsake it in the middle of it's term. What could they add? Nothing, because the PS3 ALREADY HAS EVERYTHING A CONSOLE WOULD EVER NEED! If they came out with another system it would not have anything new to bring to the forefront. A 10year plan is the only option, as that is when BD will have been dominant for sometime then and they can bring in something new.

It is rediculous (on the verge of stupid) to believe sony would do anything other then stick to there 10 year plan. They have invested TOO MUCH into BD, and the PS3 already has the most superior hardware of current gen. If they came out with PS4 it would HAVE to be basically the same IDENTICAL system. To bring out another system now would be lputting the whole company into bankruptcy. If they did they would be right back from where they started from, struggling to get recognition.

Why does no one think of these things before spouting nonesense?

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000 said:
Millennium said:

why is that so hard to believe? If sony came out with another system in a couple of years what exactly would it do?

Would it not include Blu Ray?No, that would be stupid, as they have already invested WAY to much into to just forsake it in the middle of it's term. What could they add? Nothing, because the PS3 ALREADY HAS EVERYTHING A CONSOLE WOULD EVER NEED! If they came out with another system it would not have anything new to bring to the forefront. A 10year plan is the only option, as that is when BD will have been dominant for sometime then and they can bring in something new.

It is rediculous (on the verge of stupid) to believe sony would do anything other then stick to there 10 year plan. They have invested TOO MUCH into BD, and the PS3 already has the most superior hardware of current gen. If they came out with PS4 it would HAVE to be basically the same IDENTICAL system. To bring out another system now would be lputting the whole company into bankruptcy. If they did they would be right back from where they started from, struggling to get recognition.

Why does no one think of these things before spouting nonesense?

Sony is in no position at current to consider the 10 year lifespan. The console in terms of best sales this gen has been slaughtered by the wii which came out the same time give or take a few months. Also lets not get into the PS3 having best specs again, because based on different facts and opinions by devs the 360 is superior in areas and PS3 in others. The end result in graphics will be the same. Based on games the PS3 is the least varied system available and looks that way from E3 with the mass of shooters it's concentrating on. All consoles hardware is pretty outdated now compared to PC, and in 5 years the PS3 will look very outdated.

colonelstubbs said:
Sony will win this generation. Yes thats right

The PS3 will have a slight lead on the Wii at the end of it all. SONY PR said so...

PS4 will also be released in about the next 5 years with SONY still continuing the ps3's 10 year plan, just like they are doing for the ps2 and they did for the ps1.

4 ≈ One

4 ≈ One