By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Madworld the next No More Heroes, some group tries to ban the game on UK

sorry if already posted...

http://www.wiiland.com/nintendo-wii/news/is-madworld-too-hardcore-for-the-wii-009148.php

A group of outraged parents from Mediawatch UK seem to think so. The upcoming 3rd person shooter from Sega features a unique black and white artistic style and -- most importantly -- lots of blood. The game allows players to impale their enemies on street signs and otherwise maim and dismember them with an assortment of weapons including chainsaws and swords. Frankly, we can't wait to get our hands on it.

A spokesperson from Mediawatch is not as excited as we are about this mature-oriented title. The organization thinks that the game is unsuitable for the "family friendly" image of the Wii, and they are seeking to have the game banned from shelves in the UK. With all of the recent media attention around high-profile game releases like Manhunt 2 and GTA IV, they might just be successful.

Sounding like a character out of Mary Poppins, organization spokesperson John Beyer had the followng to say about the upcoming game:

'This game sounds very unsavoury. I hope the British Board of Film Classification (BBFC) will view this with concern and decide it should not be granted a classification. Without that it cannot be marketed in Britain. What the rest of world does is up to them. We need to ensure that modern and civilized values take priority rather than killing and maiming people. It seems a shame that the game's manufacturer have decided to exclusively release this game on the Wii. I believe it will spoil the family fun image of the Wii.'

Following Nintendo's desultory perfomance at E3, which dissapointed many hardcore gamers for its focus on the casual market, it seems like the "family" image of the console is starting to stick. It would be a shame if the family-friendly image of the console prevents more mature games like this from being published.

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

Around the Network

their lose.... as long as i get to play it, its all good lol

Maybe. Just maybe. they could maybe try to not buy the game for their kids.

i really dont understand some people...if they dont like the game...they dont have to fucking buy it.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

This is awful. Being part of the PAL market means we are influenced by UK bullshit. Truly awful and the game aint finished yet.

That whole we dont want it on the Wii demographic quote was the worst of it though.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Around the Network

The irony of this is that the Daily Mail is owned by Murdoch. Were talking page 3 girls in the Sun, horrible anti islamic terrorist torture sanctioned television like 24 on Fox, Fox News ( need i say more ). This article is bullshit and the owner of this multimedia corporation is a fukn hypocrite.

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

Really sad for UK. But not for me.

wow... just.... wow...

LOL Manhunt 2 banned for atleast few months, then No More Heroes censored, then this.. What next? Whats happening in UK censors anyway?

end of core gaming days prediction:

E3 2006-The beginning of the end. Wii introduced

E3 2008- Armageddon. Wii motion plus introduced. Wii Music. Reggie says Animal crossing was a core game. Massive disappointment. many Wii core gamers selling their Wii.

E3 2010- Tape runs out

http://www.fivedoves.com/letters/march2009/ICG_Tape_runs_out.jpg

This does raise an interesting point though - which is overall would the Wii be better without mature games or not from a pure image perceptions?

The Wii has a very clear family image right now, and is selling like hotcakes on the back of it. It's actually possible that too much negative press around more mature games would be worse for the console than not having such games, if such press influenced any potential buyers not to purchase.

I say this as from what I've seen of sales mature games sell worse on Wii compared to similar games on PS3 / 360, and it is unlikely at this point a mature game would drive sales for the console while they could actually reduce sales a little.

I also wonder whether, as the 360 struggles to appeal to fun/casual/general gamers the Wii struggles to appeal to the HC gamer associated with type of game?

Certainly however well this sells on the Wii (hopefully quite a bit as it does look good) it will be hard not to assume it would have sold more on PS3/360.

Note I'm not looking at right/wrong here - just what actually might influence sales of the Wii. As a Wii owner I'm looking forward to this game but I can see that to date mature games haven't done much for the platform and that from an image point of view (TV adverts, etc) games like this in a sense don't seem to exist for Wii.

Try to be reasonable... its easier than you think...