By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Who wants to hear my game reviews?

Basically, I had a recent bout of game purchases and downloads of both Wii, DS and PC. I suddenly realized that I am only about 2 - 3 years into the current console "generation" and I now own more games for these systems than I have ever owned for any console before this. That's not even counting homebrew games, applications and emulators.

Along with this, I have been finding that I am really enjoying the current crop of games. Even games that don't provide deep and meaningful gameplay and are the epitome of development are still at least fairly decent and entertaining distractions.

This got me to thinking, hey, I've got a pretty decent catalog of games for my consoles, and I've got a pretty good perspective that stays comfortably away from both "I'm an overbearing asinine hardcore gamer" and "Wow, I just heard about the new Sony Wiibox, what's that all about?"

I also think I've got a pretty decent idea for a rating system, which throws out the numbers and settles back into 5 simple grades of A, B, C, D and F. No + or - and no comparative grades in which a game has to get a higher rating because it does things better than the game before it. This is then compounded with a second, more personal rating system that provides a "price I would be willing to pay for this game if i knew beforehand what I would get from it" vs "price the game is actually being sold for" If I would be willing to pay $20 for a game that was sold for $40, that would be a score of -$20, and if I was willing to pay $25 for a game being sold for $15, then that would be a score of $10

I'm not about to promise the cutting wit of Yahtzee, even if I wanted to do that type of reviewing I'd just end up looking like a poseur and getting bitched at by Yahtzee fans. But I don't generally watch him to actually decide if I want to purchase a game as much as I watch him in order to be able to laugh at all those utterly annoying things I hate about any particular game, so I think it'd probably be best to work with my own style anyway.

If I was going to do video format, it'd probably take me a while to get everything scripted out that I want to say beforehand, and then figure out timing and editing. So that could basically be 2 weeks to a month between reviews unless I learn to do everything I want in one take and find out that I can script every edit perfectly. Otherwise, I could likely pump out high quality review posts on a weekly basis.

So what do people think? Don't bother? Do it, but keep it as text? Do it as a video review if I'm going to do it at all? I just kinda want to put my finger up to the wind here before I decide if I really want to devote the time to doing this. Even if I don't get much call for it, I may still do it just for the heck of it, but I'd kinda like to see what I'm getting into here.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

Around the Network

Do it as text on vgc.

Do a Youtube video review.

VGChartz♥♥♥♥♥FOREVER

Xbone... the new "N" word   Apparently I troll MS now | Evidence | Evidence

I really like the price idea, I'll say go ahead.

Do youtube reviews

Around the Network

How about doing one text and one video review and see what suits you better (or ask the readers/viewers what they prefer). You could even ask ioi to let you post your reviews in the VGC news section if you're confident enough.

To answer your question: I would. Best of luck.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                         iclim4 - "The Friends Thread changed my life!" (Pervert Alert!)                                            Tags? 

Do it in text, so you can get more reviews out instead of making videos. However, if you do learn how to make a good videos and it doesn't take too long, do videos.

As for the your reviews in general, I'm all for it Acumen.

Leatherhat on July 6th, 2012 3pm. Vita sales:"3 mil for COD 2 mil for AC. Maybe more. "  thehusbo on July 6th, 2012 5pm. Vita sales:"5 mil for COD 2.2 mil for AC."

Needs more monkeys. Everything's better with monkeys.

But seriously, unless you have an especially creative means of presentation, doing video-based reviews doesn't work so great. All of the popular ones (AVGN, Yahtzee, and to a lesser degree, Spoony) have their own style and a lot of humor. If you don't think you can find a way to express things in a way that catches peoples' attention, you may want to stick to text-only.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

sure, I like to hear your reviews... text or youtube...

hmm... actually more support for this than I was honestly expecting. Sky Render's point is well taken though. I don't have video capture, so unless I spent hours searching for just the right video clips and images, all you'd end up with is a video of me talking.
Cliche's and stereotypes aside, the typical internet browsing gamer does seem to have a slightly shorter attention span than what I'd likely to be able to hook into at this point, especially since I'm not really trying to be witty about these reviews as much as informative.

So I think at this point, text it is. Hopefully I'll be able to grab a couple images to spruce things up a bit though. Now the only question is WHICH of the games I had should I review?

I've already done a short segment on the multiplayer aspects of Mario Galaxy, various stuff comparing Zelda games, and of course in depth looks into Brawl and the the subtle nuances of it's strategy, but I don't think I've done a full out review on any game.
Any requests for the first game I review?

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her