By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Gamecube reliability

My Gamecube worked fine, aside from a few times where I left it on too long, and it froze. That may also have been due to the high dust content where I live. Otherwise, as long as the play sessions are just a few hours, it works great.

A flashy-first game is awesome when it comes out. A great-first game is awesome forever.

Plus, just for the hell of it: Kelly Brook at the 2008 BAFTAs

Around the Network
oxford-gamer said:
bought mine in winter '02. It stopped reading disks a year ago.

The only game that wit would read was SSBM

It was pretty old, but I'm sure yours is younger than mine. Should be fine.

So you're saying it could play everything you needed it to play?  bazing!

Seriously though, the thing is a rock.

Good to hear that it's a strong system. Is there any place where I can get my manufacture date through serial number?

Xen said:

Guys, I got a used Gamecube recently, how reliable is the system? did anyone of you have it break on you? thanks.

As long as you avoid dropping it off a cliff you should be ok.

@Happy: Yeah, Nintendo's support rocks. I have had 3 problems with their consoles, a phat DS whose upper screen would only display the blue part of each pixel (maybe a bad connection) out of warranty; a lite that would sometime shut off when pressing the b button (or a, don't remember now) under warranty, and a Wii (out of warranty) with a noisy drive that started not loading texture and geometry information in NMH fast enough so that I would ride to some the K-entertainment building (for example) but could only get to the curb outside and not to the grass between it and the building because the game thought its geometry was a cube (hadn't loaded the geometry info due to to slow a drive) and the texture were a blurry low res mess. Had to run away and back for it to load properly.

Total cost? A £1 or £2 at most for the gas to go there (their UK repair centre is like 3-4 miles from my house). Don't know why they didn't make me pay for the out of warranty repairs but I am not gonna complain.

"I do not suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it"

Soriku said:

@Xen

lol. Well...when you start playing it...enjoy.

Around the Network
TWRoO said:
epsilon72 said:
shakarak said:
I own three gamecubes in different colors also. The only thing you want to watch for is disc read error, the lens can be very sensitive sometimes.

There is a way to fix this problem, but it requires a voltmeter and disassembling your console...

Anyways, the original gamecube that my family bought around launch still works, so I guess they're fairly reliable. Not their most reliable system, but still much better than average.

It's by a long way the most reliable disc based system though.... cartridges don't need moving parts or sensitive lasers so they are naturally more reliable.

My GC had a slight disc-read problem after 6 years.... by slight I mean it would very occassionally crash (I think in total about 20 times in total... most in the last year)

I think I was told it was something to do with the laser (or the plastic casing for the laser) would get slightly warped by the heat from lots of usage. Which meant the laser sometimes had a hard job finding whatever it looks for.

The problems that can occur with the gamecube are nothing compared to problems with the Wii or PS3, which from what i have heard and experienced seem to be close to each other in a kind of joint second.... and both of those are leagues ahead of the 360 or PS2.
Not sure about Dreamcast.

I had 2 dreamcasts go on me, but they were units from gamestop so who knows where they got those from.

Kickin' Those Games Old School.       -       201 Beaten Games And Counting

The system if very VERY reliable. All Nintendo SYstems are. Mine isn't working however because the power went out and burned the optical reader but I have my Wii so no prob.

I'm pretty sure they distributed Gamecubes to japanese police for riot control (off the books obviously). I mean... what else is the handle for but to pick it up and swing it at people. At night the policeman go home and plug it in to play Ikaruga and Animal Crossing.

Never had a problem, solid as. Mine still working perfectly from 7(?) years ago.

Gesta Non Verba

Nocturnal is helping companies get cheaper game ratings in Australia:

Game Assessment website

Wii code: 2263 4706 2910 1099

Gamecube is to consoles what the original Gameboy is to handhelds, they are both made of some indestructable element nintendium.