By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - I was just robbed

Tigawoods said:

Ugh sorry to hear about that man. On the bright side at least your laptops were not stolen as depending on how much personal info (online banking, work databases etc etc) you could of had some big problems down the road with identity theft. I hope everything works out for ya!

Funny thing about identity theft, someone actually did that to me this past week.  They bought a bunch of pool equipment, on two charges.  The first was 179 bucks but that got refunded and the second charge got denied.  I'm getting a new card soon.

@mistershine: I'll let you know because the first thing we want to replace is a 360.

@AJ: It was a matinee that was only 6.25 =P

@d21lewis:  My mom suspected that it was the workers that work on the apartments because it is transition time right now.  Theres only 6 occupied apartments out of the 12.  But last week there was actually two kids wandering the complex and they actually tried to get into our apartment.  After they tried to get into our apartment I went outside like 5 mins later and I saw them trying to get into another apartment, they heard me come out and tried to walk away to their bikes.  My money is on them more than a worker.  They def watched us.  Whoever it was.

Hi, this is Vince with Shamwow.

Around the Network

^You may be right. Seems a lot like the kind of theft a young person would commit at random. A real thief with any fore thought would've taken laptops, televisions, etc. And they probably knew exactly when you guys left for the movie.

@quarashi
You realise I was joking, right? I was offering to sell you YOUR stuff and give you your own bags to carry it in.

^No my mind has been boggled as of late so I read your post wrong.

@lewis: Yea we do think that is the case.

d21lewis said:
It was one of your friends, or someone who's been to your house. I can almost guarantee it's someone who knows you. I don't tell ANYONE that I may meet in real life about my possesions. I'm even reluctant to bring one of my shady girlfriends home.

If you have serial numbers, and your local agency is worth a damn, they'll find your stuff if the thief tries to pawn it. Technology is awesome. Listen to people on the streets, and keep track of who avoids you, and who knows "too much" about the incident. Fingerprints are pretty useless (like I said, the theif has probably been to your house before), but information is gold.

Hope it works out.

That sucks ! Sorry to hear that quarashi.

But I think d21lewis and Superchunk are right it's most likely someone who knows you, who has been in your apt before, since they've gone for the console and games first it's obvious they are very unprofessional and young. the laptops would have been a much better deal. I don't think this person will sell the stollen goods, I mean consoles, games, changecup, bike, to me it looks more like an envious guy who steals all the toys he can't afford.

Around the Network

Sorry that happened to you but at least you weren't home when it happened.
Where im from, they usually knock on your door and then kick the thing in when you open it slightly. Then they make you show them where everything is and once the get what they want, they walk out the front door.

psn:murkinem         

currently playing:

Crusty VGchartz old timer who sporadically returns & posts. Let's debate nebulous shit and expand our perpectives. Or whatever.

quarashi said:
^Doors were locked and everything. The cops said that it was very unusual for a robbery to be reported at our apartment complex because its usually just noise complaints from parties. It's all college students.

Know anybody real shady or witha drug problem?  Seems like the likeliest case.

Grey Acumen said:
If they stole your 360 and Wii, you should be able to contact Microsoft and Nintendo and have them keep an alert out for if your console connects back online. I am sure I've heard of at least 3 different cases of that method being used to track that stuff down.

As for why they didn't take the laptop or desktop, It's possible they couldn't find teh Power adapter for the laptop, and didn't want to go to the hassle of disconnecting the computer. it's also possible they didn't want to risk stealing those and finding out later that they were 10 year old computers or something that aren't worth the effort to take. The consoles are going to have a more standard value to them.

Ooh good call.

Kasz216 said:
quarashi said:
^Doors were locked and everything. The cops said that it was very unusual for a robbery to be reported at our apartment complex because its usually just noise complaints from parties. It's all college students.

Know anybody real shady or witha drug problem? Seems like the likeliest case.

Not anyone that with a serious problem, only people that smoke weed.  There was a guy who got kicked out of the complex last august that we think was on something.  That wasn't the reason he got kicked out, he was always playing his drums til like 6 in the morning.  He never came into my house and I maybe said whats up to him once.