By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Website Topics - Who looks at the old charts?

Is there a bug in the old data? When I click on some of the old charts from blast from the past, or try and jump to the November/December data from 2006, all I get is the most recent chart.

Around the Network

i look at old charts....i requested this last night...until my Tetsuya account got banned....T_T

student said:
Is there a bug in the old data? When I click on some of the old charts from blast from the past, or try and jump to the November/December data from 2006, all I get is the most recent chart.

yeah there is something wrong with it......ioi didnt put up the data yet...

One thing you might do is have some sort of calendar format where you have links to older dates in a table instead of a drop-down list. The long list can be a bit difficult to scroll through and keep track of where you are at the same time.

Something else that I think would be really cool is if you could look at monthly and yearly historical data also. Of course, that would involve making more pages and adding the data together for those pages. I'm sure you have way too much work on your plate as it is...

-Manella: Yeah... sux0rz! I hate missing out on food...
-Maya: Nick... what does "Sucksores" mean?
-Phoenix: No idea...

Hey ioi. The old data is great. I use it often and sorely miss the NA data. 

As for ways to promote the historical data or better utilize it. I've got one idea. For an example, we'll use game X (we'll say Mario Part 8, as it's doing quite well right now). Lets say that when you clicked on Mario Party 8, on the games page, you could click a link to see how all it's predecessors did.

Having a handy way to find out how previous games in a series have faired would be a really handy tool, and would make this site a more valuable tool to stat junkies.

I'm a mod, come to me if there's mod'n to do. 

Chrizum is the best thing to happen to the internet, Period.

Serves me right for challenging his sales predictions!

Bet with dsisister44: Red Steel 2 will sell 1 million within it's first 365 days of sales.

Around the Network

i love the old data, maybe more snes, md, sms, nes, atari software would be great, but i know is difficult.

old data is amazing if you are doing some research or tracking sales of s/w.
Vgcharts should continue to host "old data"

Heeeeyyyy!!!! <Snap>

I look at them all the time. To me it's fascinating. I just wish all the charts had these blast from the past stuff.

The old data from the Japan dataset is awesome, would love to see how games did in America back in the 90's as well.

For promoting it, I think it would be cool to pick a particular month of a particular year (say January of 1991) and write a review as to why the game's sales numbers turned out like they did. Things like company trends at the time, game character popularity, etc. could be discussed as the reasons for a game's success/failure.