By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - My thoughts on why the ps3 will eventually win this gen.

wow, gearbox. your prediction couldn't be any less reasonable. especially when you predict the 360 to sell no more than 40 million world wide in its' lifetime.

Around the Network

By your logic the PS3 will be part of two generations, hence you have to divide the 95 million by 2. That leaves about 48 million.

good math though.

Any message from Faxanadu is written in good faith but shall neither be binding nor construed as constituting a commitment by Faxanadu except where provided for in a written agreement signed by an authorized representative of Faxanadu. This message is intended for the use of the forum members only.

The views expressed here may be personal and/or offensive and are not necessarily the views of Faxanadu.

Preacher37 said:

People, people. I can understand a fanboy or two wanting a console to succeed, or even investors to be behind their product so that they will increase their profits through mass market appeal, or even if you were saying that the PS3 is the most fun of any system ever. I could understand any of those things, but are we seriously wasting our time to have a discussion of the PS3 sales over its life by "guestimating" life-cycle and averaging sales after only one year?????????

OK, a couple facts
- The PS3 has been out only 21 months and has sold 14.6 units so far

- Previous to the Playstation Nintendo was the uncontested console leader, even beating a system with a grand head start and some fancy hedgehog

- The PS2 is only eight years old and is already starting to wane in appeal and sales as the current-gen heats up and the DS and PSP are kicking butt

- This site tracks hardware information about current and past console sales, which means we can speak learnedly about numbers analysis

- Because something has happened in the past DOES NOT mean it will ever happen again, especially sales numbers, let alone in the near future(see: success of current Nintendo console surpassing "success" of previous Nintendo console

If we average PS3 sales over the 21 months it has been out then they have sold 1.44(rounded up) a month, and approximately 8.34 million a year. Obviously there were some months that it did not sell this, and we should probably use that data at some point, but at any rate if we assume the ten year life-span that the PS3 would sell 83.43 million units in it's life time.

I say all this to point out the futility of using numbers this way and the utter ridiculousness of "gestimating" future sales based on previous generations. There is way too much variability in the console industry to rely on stability of sales and numbers, because lest we forget in Oct 2006 everyone was saying that the Wii was a fad and would not do any better than Gamecube and that, as you put here, the PS3 would sell 120 million. And yes, for the record I do realize the irony in writing a long statement to mention how much time we are wasting, but there you have it.

If you are interested in decrying Nintendo and supporting Sony with such vigor I applaud your efforts on another site, perhaps even the Sony Defense Force Website. But please, if you are going to post at a site that does number tracking, at least get your facts straight. And make sure that you recognize trends AFTER they happen and not pass opinion as factual data when a) the data to support your hypothesis isn't present(PS3 hasn't hit 15 mil yet, nor has the PS3 been out two years) or b) current industry trends suggest that Wii could pass PS2 in lifetime sales given projections over time and Wii has been doubling sales since they came out.

And I hope you are right btw, because if Sony sells 95 mil, and Wii outsells by double as is the trend, then over 300 million in console sales is possible, and that has to be good for the industry ;)

Check your math, there is no way the PS3 has sold 1.44 million a month. ;)  I believe it is more like 700,000 a month, or thereabouts.

Currently Playing:

PS4 - Killzone:SF and Assasins Creed 4

XBox One: BF4, CoD:Ghosts, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5

Changing channels with my voice: priceless!!!

Your assumption is extremely flawed. PS3 will be lucky to reach 75 million consoles sold over its life time.

In your analysis you just put down 10* 8 + 15 = 95 million.

Consoles peak in third year and sales drop away after wards. An average of 10 million for the next 8 years is impossible.

I put down 7.5*10 = 75 million consoles. I assume higher selling years in the next two years will be offset with late low selling years and thus I get my average of 7.5 million consoles sold per year for the 10 year lifespan of the PS3.

I look forward to seeing the PS3 in stores in 2015 (and selling 15 million that year).

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network

I love how people seem to think that the PS2 owners are loyal. When will you find out that the PS3 will never sell as good as the PS2? The Wii already stole 30 million of the PS2 userbase.

forevercloud3000 said:

GOD! Why are some people so unwilling to get with Sony's program. They have a set life cycle of 10yrs. This is very much similar to their PS2 life plan. The PS2 has achieved sales numbers only dreamed of and it has achieved them in LESS than 10 years. To make a legitimate hypothesis on the outcome of this race why would I not use the data from last gen? It only makes sense to. We know certain variables differ but in the end we are in the very same predicament. Sony will be on top yet again by the end of this cycle and not becuz it is anyone's favorite, but because Sony has prooven their point time and time again.

Doubters get over it....

We're in the very same predicament?  With Nintendo's new console already having passed the GCN, outselling the PS3 more than 2-1, and is on track to pass the PS2... oh, technically you're right!  We are in the very same predicament, but Nintendo has taken Sony's place.

It seems your only "proof" of Sony winning this gen is because of their past success?  And you expect Sony to lead on until the end of time?  Once upon a time, Sony had the Walkman.  It was the most popular music player around - until Apple's iPod slaughtered it.  So you're right, Sony has proven time and time again, that their market can be taken over by other companies.

I respond only because I'm surprised how it looks like you're genuinely believing this crazyness.  It's like a religion or something.  Luckily for all the Sony fans, the 10 year plan talk will carry their delusions long enough that when the PS3 dies, they might no longer care how badly it's outsold by the Wii.  After all, it seems these are mainly teenage fanboys, I guess it's like a phase... Don't worry guys, if your favorite console "loses" it isn't the end of the world.

One more thing - there are a lot of people here also saying "even if the PS3 outsold it with its long lifespan, it wouldn't count!"  Forget that line of thought, seriously.  The Wii, being the market leader, will have a longer lifespan, and will continue to outsell the PS3 throughout its life.

Only the market leader will last up to 10 years. A console languishing behind in second or third place may exit the generation earlier than if it was in a lead position.

stof said:
oy. A console's sales life is defined by it's success. Why would the more successful console have a shorter life than a less successful one?

Thank you. PS3 fans just don't get that this generation is all about the wii.

Imagine not having GamePass on your console...

Sony will win, when bluray become mainstream the ps3 will still be selling then people will be thinking like hey i can play games with this aswell, me brothers girlfriends grandad is buying a ps3 for the blu-ray, and he said he will play some games aswell if he sees anything he likes.