By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The 13th 90+ Metacritic game is: Geometry wars! 27 reviews, 90% average.

Geometry wars 2 is awesome, it deserves the place.

GOTY Contestants this year: Dead Space 2, Dark Souls, Tales of Graces f. Everything else can suck it.

Around the Network

GeoWars is crack. No joke - I might have to go the doctor from it. I've played so much that my hands and wrists ache SO bad. And yet I can't put the damn controller down.

Can't we all just get along and play our games in peace?

Squilliam said:
Braid is up to 90 on metacritic with 7 reviews now. We should keep an eye on it, it could be #14, which would be awesome, or it could fall just below - who knows?

Go, Braid, go!

Braid deserves to be over 90 on metacritic

Leo-j said: If a dvd for a pc game holds what? Crysis at 3000p or something, why in the world cant a blu-ray disc do the same?

ssj12 said: Player specific decoders are nothing more than specialized GPUs. Gran Turismo is the trust driving simulator of them all. 

"Why do they call it the xbox 360? Because when you see it, you'll turn 360 degrees and walk away" 

Gnizmo said:
sinha said:

I've said nothing?  Do you really not understand?  Because it's pretty fucking simple.  Yes, Wii games may not have any/all of those things, that's irrelevant.  An Xbox 360 disc game would be counted  on Metacritic even if it didn't have leaderboards or achievements, way to miss the point.

Are Wii and 360 disc games ROMs?  No.  Are XBLA games ROMs?  No.  Are VC games?  Yes.

Do you see the difference now?  Jesus fucking Christ...

Actually yes Wii and 360 games are ROMs (Read-Only Memory). Can I buy the game for the system easily? If yes, then it is a game on the system. If you want to count all 90% plus games on the system then you need to count everyone that can be reasonably expeted to be easily attained. It is irrelevant whether or not the game adds anything new for the latest iteration. Should FFXIII not count for the 360 because it will exist fully on there PS3 before it exists on the 360? No, of course not. That is the ridiculous assertion you are making.

Yes, but the point he is trying to make is that it's original content. Not content that was previously released on an earlier generation platform.  These XBLA games are original games released in the current generation of consoles.  Wii Ware and original PSN games should be counted as well.  When you're playing OOT on VC you're playing a N64 game, not a game designed for the Wii.  Yes you can buy it for the platform but I can also go out and buy MGS1 to play on my PS3 or KOTOR for my 360.  Opening up that can of worms totally defeats the purpose of even cataloging a list of 80%, 90% or whatever arbitrary precentage you want to use.  I would think most people would agree in that assessment unless they have some other sort of agenda in proving their "platform of choice" is superior while at the same time trying to demean another.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
Around the Network
sieanr said:
Braid deserves to be over 90 on metacritic

Braids rated at 91 now... happy?

Tease.

jasonnc80 said:

Yes, but the point he is trying to make is that it's original content. Not content that was previously released on an earlier generation platform.  These XBLA games are original games released in the current generation of consoles.  Wii Ware and original PSN games should be counted as well.  When you're playing OOT on VC you're playing a N64 game, not a game designed for the Wii.  Yes you can buy it for the platform but I can also go out and buy MGS1 to play on my PS3 or KOTOR for my 360.  Opening up that can of worms totally defeats the purpose of even cataloging a list of 80%, 90% or whatever arbitrary precentage you want to use.  I would think most people would agree in that assessment unless they have some other sort of agenda in proving their "platform of choice" is superior while at the same time trying to demean another.

Leader boards, achievments and a higher resolution is not added content. No matter how you slice it they do not actually give you something new to do in the game. They are rewards for playing the game, but that is not added content. That is just putting a few perks on a straight port.

That said, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. Notice how my arguement is worded though. I am not saying we should count any old game you can find in the used bin and stick in your system. Yeah, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was an amazing game and technically can be played on a PS3 but where would you buy it (apologies if this is in the PSN I am just using a random example)? Obviously it cannot count since there is no guaranteed easy method to aquire it for anyone who wants it. However, games offered online to in limitless quantaties is readily available. If I want Psychonauts on my 360 it is as hard to get as it Geometry Wars 2.

The purpose of these lists is to show how many awesome games can actually be played on a system in theory (in practice it is fanboy gibberish that means all of nothing). In order to make the lists as accurate as possible you should include every game you could resonably expect a person to pick-up. Old out of print games are normally hard to come by and have varying levels of playability when you do get them. Downloadable games are guaranteed to be there though. Really is it any different if you are playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 from XBLA or from the VC? The core game is the exact same, but it doesn't count as a game for the latter system? That is entirely ludicrous.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Gnizmo said:
jasonnc80 said:

Leader boards, achievments and a higher resolution is not added content. No matter how you slice it they do not actually give you something new to do in the game. They are rewards for playing the game, but that is not added content. That is just putting a few perks on a straight port.

That said, I do agree with a lot of what you are saying. Notice how my arguement is worded though. I am not saying we should count any old game you can find in the used bin and stick in your system. Yeah, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night was an amazing game and technically can be played on a PS3 but where would you buy it (apologies if this is in the PSN I am just using a random example)? Obviously it cannot count since there is no guaranteed easy method to aquire it for anyone who wants it. However, games offered online to in limitless quantaties is readily available. If I want Psychonauts on my 360 it is as hard to get as it Geometry Wars 2.

The purpose of these lists is to show how many awesome games can actually be played on a system in theory (in practice it is fanboy gibberish that means all of nothing). In order to make the lists as accurate as possible you should include every game you could resonably expect a person to pick-up. Old out of print games are normally hard to come by and have varying levels of playability when you do get them. Downloadable games are guaranteed to be there though. Really is it any different if you are playing Sonic the Hedgehog 2 from XBLA or from the VC? The core game is the exact same, but it doesn't count as a game for the latter system? That is entirely ludicrous.

I agree with certain points you make and others not so much.  I agree that re-releases such as Sonic 2, Frogger, or Doom (regardless of platform rereleased on) shouldn't be counted on such lists.  I don't agree with the rare/hard to find part though.  If we go down that road then who's definition of rare or hard to find do we use?  I also don't agree with a few posters in this thread that said all XBLA, PSN, etc games should be counted regardless if it's a rerelease or not.  It can get fuzzy with games like Rez HD that have content added to the X360 version but as it stands there are no such games that fit into this argument of 90% games.  Maybe in the future somebody will have to walk down that road but right now that's not the case.

I think the only fair way IMO is to count original content on a platform whether it be disc based, XBLA, WiiWare, PSN, etc.

Completed X360:
High Def Movie Collection
jasonnc80 said:

I agree with certain points you make and others not so much.  I agree that re-releases such as Sonic 2, Frogger, or Doom (regardless of platform rereleased on) shouldn't be counted on such lists.  I don't agree with the rare/hard to find part though.  If we go down that road then who's definition of rare or hard to find do we use?  I also don't agree with a few posters in this thread that said all XBLA, PSN, etc games should be counted regardless if it's a rerelease or not.  It can get fuzzy with games like Rez HD that have content added to the X360 version but as it stands there are no such games that fit into this argument of 90% games.  Maybe in the future somebody will have to walk down that road but right now that's not the case.

I think the only fair way IMO is to count original content on a platform whether it be disc based, XBLA, WiiWare, PSN, etc.

By rare I mean previous generation games only really. If it was released this generation in any quantity it shouldn't be too hard to get your hands on a guaranteed working copy. If it was released extremely late/after the "start" of the generation then it should probably be counted. It is a blurry line at best, and made worse by inconsistent BC on some systems (I am looking at you PS3!).

I would like to note my original post came in response to someone saying Banjo Kazooie would make the list. I imagine we can agree if games like that are to be counted then the VC should be counted as well in the interest of fairness. If no re-releases save those on discs are counted then its fine. I am just trying to make sure there is a level playing field as it were.

Starcraft 2 ID: Gnizmo 229

Braids score has increased to 92 with 11 reviews and Geometry wars is still steady @ 90 with 28 reviews.

Looks like by the time the scores settle there will be 1-2 more 90+ Xbox360 games.

Tease.