By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Apple to take over the living room?

I had a nice little text written for you Mac OS guys who jumped in but I accidentally pressed alt+some other button on my PS3 and it deleted the entire thing. To summize and this isn't fair to me as it will only give fuel to you guys and probably not get my point past that armor.

First - I'm not saying Mac OS vs XMB OS; you guys are saying that

Second - I'm reffering to my experience with the GUI and yes Mac OS utilizes a GUI to allow for easier usage over DOS or BASIC.

Third - You guys are all seemingly using superficial mediums to justify your points, I'm not arguing that point though I'm just letting you know incase when you do meet someone who would argue what you are guys are pretty much using peripheral functionality to define an OS when if I remember correctly and OS is defined by it's integeral functions dealing with the hardware within not peripherals - but that's another arguement my co-worker loves going into.

Last I'm sorry for sharing my experience with you, if it offended you to the point where you were compelled to respond.

GUI = Graphical User Interface.

There was a time before Microsoft Word.

Again I'm not talking about Mac OS vs XMB OS I'm not speaking in terms of XMB OS, as I don't understand that termanology, it's only you guys trying to force that on me and then convince me that it doesn't exist, I'm saying: "I dont even understand that termanology so how could I have said it exists" at this point.

Finally - At no point did I say XMB was better than Mac OSX I just said XMB was much more user friendly and I'm speaking relative to my experience, I went further to assert that others expriences may differ. I am not talking in your terms of Mac OS vs XMB OS I don't understand that termanology so how could I have brought that arguement up based on context reffering on strictly the GUI's friendliness.

I'm Unamerica and you can too.

The Official Huge Monster Hunter Thread: 

The Hunt Begins 4/20/2010 =D

Around the Network
akuma587 said:
Fuck Apple. They will never set foot in my living room.

These kinds of things always make me laugh. Who cares who makes what? What it does is what's important. Most of my time spent using a PC or a handheld device, is spent on an Apple made product. As soon as they stop making things that work better then anyone else, I will stop buying them.

I don't by companies, I buy devices. I feel sorry for anyone who punishes themselves by getting less of a product because they think one company is worse then another.

@plaupis

I know that, but I've been saying that's besides the point, the OS runs a GUI in a windows enviornment for the same purposes a PS3 runs XMB, I'm saying out of the two be it desktop or XMB that XMB was much easier and friendlier to work with right off the bat.

I would be wrong if I was saying XMB is an OS I never said that, and so I was never wrong. Like I said in my above post you guys shoved that term on me and gave me some narrative that I didn't even understand; then told me that I was wrong... which you just litterally did which is what rockets been doing this entire time.

I've just been trying to clarify that were not even talking about the same thing and that he was combating his own misconception and not me. Which was then followed up by you guys. Of course I probably could of clarified myself I guess, but I don't believe I should have to when I stated that this was my experience in the original post.

Of course it's friendlier to work with right off the bat... So is an iPod menu, which is more closely related to XMB than Carbon, the GUI for OS X.

When you're talking about 100 options vs. 10,000 options, yeah, it's going to be more "user friendly".

Still, I don't see the point.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

rocketpig said:

You think Apple users are annoying? Just ask a Linux user what he thinks about Windows sometime... I guarantee you that you'll have an almost irresistible urge to punch said Linux troll in the face by minute five. They're even more self-righteous and annoying than the most ardent Apple supporter.

Erm... no?

I use Linux all the time, but doing so doesn't mean I dislike Windows.  Quite the opposite really, using Linux actually helps me appreciate all the things that Windows does for me that I tend to take for granted since I don't always have access to them (or in the same way) on Linux.

To me, operating systems are tools.  iPods are tools.   Most all electronic devices are tools.  I don't really care what the vendor is as long as the device does what I want/need it to.

As for Apple users, I've met tons of annoying ones with maybe 1 who wasn't obsessed with his OS choice.  Now, do I think all Apple users are like that?  That would be silly, but my personal experience in this area isn't favorable.  Despite that, I'm not about to make a wide-sweeping generalization about the entire Apple fanbase any more than I would about the entire Windows or Linux one.   Each one is likely to have its zealots, but I'm not going to let those folks ruin the experience for me.

Around the Network

That's possible but after spending a lot of time on Slashdot back in the day, Linux users can reach a point where they're far more unbearable than most Apple users, even the zealotrous "I wear a black turtleneck every day as an homage" crowd.

Are plenty of Apple users annoying? Sure, of course. Just like anything "different", you get your fair share of morons in there.

But saying that you've met one Apple user not obsessed with his OS... Well shit, I can name you four or five on this site alone. No one even knew I used Apple products for the first ~7 months I was here. I know three or four other guys who use it and never mention it. To me, OS X is a tool. It's a nice tool, but it has its faults, just like anything else as complicated as an operating system. I prefer it over Windows for working, which is why I use it. That simple.

Or check out my new webcomic: http://selfcentent.com/

it should have bene a little bit more in depth in my opinion but hey, interesting non the less

dib8rman said:
@plaupis

I know that, but I've been saying that's besides the point, the OS runs a GUI in a windows enviornment for the same purposes a PS3 runs XMB, I'm saying out of the two be it desktop or XMB that XMB was much easier and friendlier to work with right off the bat.

I would be wrong if I was saying XMB is an OS I never said that, and so I was never wrong. Like I said in my above post you guys shoved that term on me and gave me some narrative that I didn't even understand; then told me that I was wrong... which you just litterally did which is what rockets been doing this entire time.

I've just been trying to clarify that were not even talking about the same thing and that he was combating his own misconception and not me. Which was then followed up by you guys. Of course I probably could of clarified myself I guess, but I don't believe I should have to when I stated that this was my experience in the original post.

I know I probably shouldn't go into this anymore, but here's your original post:

"I acutally preffer XMB over Mac OS many because of how easy XMB is to access, and I'm a windows guy, when home comes out that will be the ultimate virtual OS with XMB it's a win win formula."

I'm not quite sure what you mean by claiming that home will be the ultimate virtual OS with XMB, as you seem to know that neither of those is anything even resembling an OS.

And to finish of with a bit of nitpicking, the bolded statement is not correct. XMB is basically a menu-GUI, which has an entirely different purpose than the "GUI in a windows environment" that OS X uses. As rocketpig said, the other has been designed to support maybe, say, 100 functions, whereas the other one is designed to enable programs. You could make an XMB clone in OS X, but you coulnd't make an OS X clone in XMB no matter how hard you tried.

@op or anyone else who may know, does the quoted shipped figures for PC's include those sold to businesses?

I would think a far larger proportion of PC sales go to businesses rather than home users (somewhere in the region of 50% for Dell I think) than Macs do. This would have a large effect of Apple's apparent marketshare in the context of them 'taking over the living room'

Thanks

This entire conversation is filled with pointless citations and limited objections nothing is due for growth here and I refuse to understand how you can't comprehend or don't want to comprehend what I'm saying. This is like that bad comedy I once saw.

Antagonist: (Walks into a chinesse food store.) "Hey do you have beef and rice?"
Chinesse Worker: (Missed the question) "..."
Antagonist Friend: "He must not know english."
Antagonist "Maybe, hey do~ you~ have~ beef~ and~ rice?"
Chinesse Worker: "Huh oh.."
Antagonist: "I'll try to speak your language (Broken jibberish)"
Chinesse Worker "I speak english dumb-ass."
Antagonist: "You'll have to speak english I don't understand your language."

I'm happy your aware that your nit picking my statements, I'm happy you at least didn't edit out 'virtual' in my original post, I'm sure a guy as savy as you should know how that term is implied.

Also it seems like a brick wall is up and no matter how many times I say I'm not insulting your favorite OS of choice, you guys seem to want to take it to a level where that OS can't be compared at all and that my last posts should be officially retracted from the public eye.

This thread or this portion of the thread as I said above is fruitless so I'm going to make my last statement, feelings hurt or not I don't care honestly and you guys seem to care deeply about my experiences with the GUI for both Mac OSX and XMB (Which by the way I'm glad you admitted is a GUI as that just seemed dumb to not acknowledge.)

Oh also rocketpig I'm not a person to speak in rhetoric often but you seem to not get what I've been repeating for the last 3 or 4 posts. I'm not even going to list the reasons why anymore I'm just going to say to you, I said "pick up and go" not even on XMB can you get access to everyone of the functions all at once. I've had probably 10 maybe 12 goes at Mac OSX each time for very casual purposes and each time I thought that "this is very wierd and annoying to use." Everything seemed out of place, that's all I'm talking about.

I'm not sure if you want me to use overly firm english so you can get my point, but again this is my experience. (I really wish we had done personal messages thus avoiding the swarm that is still yet to come to this thread.)

@Plaupius

No, and try again, from where stand what your trying to put into my mouth versus what I'm saying are two totally different things, you'd get further arguing with a brick wall if your intent is to give that brick wall characteristics so your arguement can have substance. In that quote I clearly stated my conception of Home would be a Virtual OS or at least a prelim to one, and XMB would be the shell over it similar to any other OS, I NEVER SAID XMB WAS THE OS! That is professional antagonizing at it's best but this thread isn't that serious.

That's all I have to say, when I see arguements come up like that one I know this conversation has wasted my time.