By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - The game industry circle is "almost" complete

Godot said:
halogamer1989 said:
@Godot What should be the standard then? A unified architecture for both PCs and consoles? Also, what kind of OS would you propose to solve the optimization problem of typical OSs. You bring up valid points.

Here's something you make be interested to look at. It's something our professor showed us on our first course of Embedded systems.

The blue line is the Standard Moore law and the red line is what the engineers can work on. As years passed, the gap between what our technology allow us to do and what we can do with the resources we have as increased. We are seeing that problem in a way in gaming as well. For example, the PS3 is capable of awesome things in theory but it would cost so much man hour to really (and I mean really unlike anything that is done right now) push the hardware that it's won't be done.

My computer is a dual core and sometimes it lags on Vista. There's a lot of work that remains to be done before we can really reach a limit where we can't push the computers anymore.

To answer your questions, I'd say that the big advantage of console is that the hardware is unique. One of the big problems of Microsoft's OS is that they run on everything from a Macbook Pro to Toshiba computer and what not. What will the future bring is actually more uniformity. In the future, computers will be used mostly for work-related activities. Mobile phones, video games console and other devies will take a bigger place in our lives.

So we should increase life-time of chipsets in order to produce more productivity? ; An interconnected cloud OS via multiple platforms?

Around the Network

I believe that the circle is already complete.
Wii is the new NES.

Prediction:
Disney will make KH3 with Nintendo.Yes,KH3 will be a Disney/Nintendo crossover.

Save the industry,Kill a Hardcore gamer

Stopped buying Ubisoft games.Will not buy Red Steel 2.Let them struggle on HD. Click here for a solution:CLICK
ALERT: I have also exposed a UBI'Z'OFT viral marketer in THIS thread.Read my posts, see the set up and watch how everything crumbles on page 8. Please learn from this experience.

halogamer1989 said:

So we should increase life-time of chipsets in order to produce more productivity? ; An interconnected cloud OS via multiple platforms?

Nah, with time we will progress. It's just there's still a lot of work on a single device. We won't see a cloud OS for multiple platforms for a long time. At least, for a commercial basis. Cloud/Grid are used for tasks that require an extreme amount of computation.

How many cups of darkness have I drank over the years? Even I don't know...

The cycle of console history goes something like this...

experimental phase -> boom phase -> crash phase

The cycle then starts over in the experimental phase. We're currently at the end of the second cycle and beginning of the third cycle. Cycle #1 gave us:

single-game TV systems -> Atari 2600/Colecovision/Intellivision -> video game crash of 1984

It was a short cycle. The second cycle was:

NES/Master System/Genesis/SNES -> PS1/N64/Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2/GameCube/Xbox -> PS3/360

This cycle is still in decline due to the high prices involved in producing games for the 360 and PS3. And the third cycle only has this so far:

Wii

No telling how this one will end, we're still in the experimental stages.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Not a chance, Sony will have learnt from their mistakes and Ninty's success. Consoles will become once again cheaper and much less powerful than computers, but focus on fun and simple

Around the Network

It should be noted that the transition of experimental -> boom -> crash is pretty common in markets. It can also be expressed as disruption -> refinement -> overshooting. The basic idea is presented, it's improved upon, but eventually the refinements go too far and the largest segment of the market is lost due to the previous refinements being "good enough".

Sometimes a market crash is caused by stagnation instead, where the products simply stop getting better altogether. That's as bad as overshooting the market, of course, because there's no incentive to buy the latest product if it has nothing new to offer over the older model.

Complacency is a market's worst enemy, and disruption is the key to allowing markets to survive long past when they should have expired completely. If you mix it up and make it new again, you can avoid a mess like the 1984 video game market crash.

Sky Render - Sanity is for the weak.

Parallel architectures will never be as popular as single-core machines for a simple reason: Most computer users on this planet only use them for one thing at a time, and the applications they use aren't ones that are easily made parallel (web browsing, word processing), except in some professional cases (spreadsheets, databases) which are in a serious minority.

Dual core processors (ones that allow the OS to use one processor, while the user app runs on the other) will be the foundation of desktop PCs for the next half century or more, IMO. Consoles will, in short order, way overpower your commonplace desktop PC in no time -- meaning that frankly, they already do (except the Wii).

Joe Bob and Doris don't need more than two cores, and thus, they won't pay for them. PC game development will always be forced to focus on the lowest common denominator, if it wishes to survive. Past this gen, the consoles might be so much more powerful than the lowest common denominator PC, that PC gaming will truly become a thing of the past.