By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Hilarious Microsoft "ban"!

http://kotaku.com/5010324/microsoft-explains-gaywood-ban

A story from May 08

Late last night, we learned the story of Richard Gaywood, the not-so-happy Xbox Live user whose gamertag was banned. Since "RichardGaywood" was both the user's gamertag as well as his legal, honest-to-goodness given name, Kotaku contacted Microsoft to learn the reason behind the ban.

Hit the jump for their response:

"We want the Xbox LIVE community to have the freedom to express themselves, but we also have a responsibility to create an inclusive, safe environment," said Microsoft's Stephen Toulouse. "While it may be clear to some that Gaywood is a legitimate surname, it may not be obvious to other Xbox LIVE members. In this case, a complaint was filed by a member of the community, requiring the Xbox LIVE team to examine the gamertag within the context of the Xbox LIVE Terms of Use. Based on the these guidelines, it was necessary for the gamertag to change."

Recall Toulose also referred to the XBL Terms of Use in explaining why user "TheGAYERGamer" received a ban, stating, "Gamertags are visible to everyone and it would be hard for me to defend to a parent of a young child who saw it that the name did not contain content of a sexual nature."

Finally, Microsoft confirmed to us that Mr. Gaywood's gamertag, like any other found to be in violation of the Terms of Use, will not be reinstated. Hope no other XBL users have legal names that might have the ill fortune to appear "sexual."

Too bad for this guy :)

Around the Network

This is stupid. MS can go jump off a cliff. Banning Hitler accounts is one thing. But this is like going a bit extreme.

sucks for him

Damn. Thank god I use my name Richard Pound as my Gamertag and not the shorter version.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

i knew someone named Peter Pound.... you can imagine there was a number of jokes about it.

but in this case.... its sad that he cant use his real name, but they have a valid argument.

"I like my steaks how i like my women.  Bloody and all over my face"

"Its like sex, but with a winner!"

MrBubbles Review Threads: Bill Gates, Jak II, Kingdom Hearts II, The Strangers, Sly 2, Crackdown, Zohan, Quarantine, Klungo Sssavesss Teh World, MS@E3'08, WATCHMEN(movie), Shadow of the Colossus, The Saboteur

Around the Network

I wonder if they'll ban Mike Hunt.

RolStoppable said:
Onyxmeth said:

Damn. Thank god I use my name Richard Pound as my Gamertag and not the shorter version.

I don't get it, but in my defense I am still suffering from a hard hit on the head from earlier today.

Nick name for Richard is Dick. SO it would be Dick Pound

MrBubbles said:
i knew someone named Peter Pound.... you can imagine there was a number of jokes about it.

but in this case.... its sad that he cant use his real name, but they have a valid argument.

It's not very valid. What's next people are going to get offended if they card him buying cigs so then he needs to censor his ID?

This game from a user complaint. People are too touchy. I bet I can get away with worse names than this.

LOL MATURE said:
RolStoppable said:
Onyxmeth said:

I don't get it, but in my defense I am still suffering from a hard hit on the head from earlier today.

Nick name for Richard is Dick. SO it would be Dick Pound

Looking back, I realized I worded the joke wrong. Nick name would have made it easier to understand. If Rol can't get it, there is no hope for my humor.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

lollll im in trouble my last name is gay focker