By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Do you think SMG can pass SM64 in sales?

Do you think SMG can pass SM64 in total sales?

SMG has sold a total of 11.89 million copies WW throughout its lifetime. SMG on the other hand, has so far sold 6.74 million copies and still selling around 30k copies a week WW.

I personally think that it can. It should get around 7.5 to 8 million by the end of this year and get near 10 million by the end of 2009. With some price cuts and boosts from the holiday seasons, I think it should be able to reach 12 million+ by the end of the Wii's lifetime if it continues having strong legs.

What do you guys think?

Currently Playing: Mario Kart 7, Mario Kart 8, Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon, The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask, Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Predictions:

Super Mario Galaxy will pass Super Mario 64 in total sales CORRECT!

Around the Network

i'm sure it will, Mario games always get epic holiday boosts.

No because Mario 64 wasn't up against much competition on Nintendo 64.

I would cite regulation, but I know you will simply ignore it.

steven787 said:
No because Mario 64 wasn't up against much competition on Nintendo 64.

That's not relevant to SMG's performance, which is the controlling factor here.

I think it probably will, but it's not definite.

@steven there was banjo, wii wont get another great platformer until SMG 2 but i still think it wont beat mario 64

Wii/Mario Kart Wii Code:2793-0686-5434
Around the Network

I'm thinking no. Galaxy is a game that most people want. Mario 64 is a game everyone wanted. It was the first 3-D platformer and at the time everyone wanted to try it out. Even though Galaxy may be the better game there was more interest in Mario 64. The only reason that this may be close is because the Wii sells better than milk.

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger

It has a big chance but i believe around 2010.

Proud owner of all three consoles and handhelds.

Gamertag: MrKetchup911 (Add me up)

I'm not sure about this one. Legs have been a little disappointing actually until now, at least if you compare them to New Super Mario Bros. I think we can tell in march next year. Before, we have to see the holiday boost it gets and the longtime legs which should be clear around march.

Also, its chances will diminish if Nintendo releases a sequel.

Currently Playing: Skies of Arcadia Legends (GC), Dragon Quest IV (DS)

Last Game beaten: The Rub Rabbits(DS)

nintendo_fanboy said:
I'm not sure about this one. Legs have been a little disappointing actually until now, at least if you compare them to New Super Mario Bros. I think we can tell in march next year. Before, we have to see the holiday boost it gets and the longtime legs which should be clear around march.

Also, its chances will diminish if Nintendo releases a sequel.

Does that seem like a reasonable standard?

Cougarman said:

@steven there was banjo, wii wont get another great platformer until SMG 2 but i still think it wont beat mario 64

Banjo wasn't nearly that popular.  Banjo is a game that got more popular over time and still wasn't competition for Mario.  Banjo is only getting a lot of recognition now because it is being promoted by Microsoft out the Ying-Yang.  They're trying to make it look like a bigger game than it really is.  I liked Banjo but it never was on the same level as Mario or even Sonic for that matter. 

Proud member of the SONIC SUPPORT SQUAD

Tag "Sorry man. Someone pissed in my Wheaties."

"There are like ten games a year that sell over a million units."  High Voltage CEO -  Eric Nofsinger