By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Carmack - Sony's restrictions on third-party ports

Andir said:
DMeisterJ said:
Dizzy... too much spin.

There's your problem.  Only the anti-Sony folks here could turn extra content into a bad thing.

No one ever said extra content is a bad thing. Spin? Oh the irony.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

Around the Network
starcraft said:
DMeisterJ said:
Dizzy... too much spin.

It's not unrealistic to ask for something extra for a port. When Third parties make PS3 games come out later, Sony should make them pay somehow.

Extra modes or improvements give incentive for people to buy a game later, rather than buy it cheap on the 360 if they were the same. It's called making sure that the game doesn't flop for penny-pinching consumers. Cause if the game then flopped, the blame would be on sony, not the porting of an old game to the PS3 with no content.

I don't see what the problem is.

Are you serious?  "Sony should make them pay somehow?"  Sony has cost third parties millions of dollars in extra development costs due to making a system that is difficult to develop for and fraught with bottle-necks.  At the end of the day, if third parties believe their game is good enough to be bought on the PS3 after other versions have already come out (say for example, the difference between Bioshock and Alone in the Dark), why should Sony force them to incur even MORE costs than they already have due to the console manufacturer's poor strategy?

Overwhelmingly, any extras included on PS3 versions of game's arn't announced until AFTER the Xbox 360 and PC versions are released (in many cases the PS3 version itself isn't announced), so you're incentive announcement falls flat.  It IS Sony's fault that small and mid-sized developers struggle to maintain PS3 development cycles versus the other two platforms, developers and consumers (who lose games when developers cannot afford to produce extras) shouldn't be forced to lose out even more to save Sony's pride.

It's not about Pride.

It's about the fact that late ports almost never sell on the PS3 version of games.  As there is no incentive to buy a game that's been out for months, after PS3 and 360 and this has no extra content for full price.

The added content adds value to the price and makes consumers actually want to buy it. 

No, devs shouldn't have to add something to the mix, but when a game doesn't sell after being a late port, all the blame is gonna fall on Sony.  Sony is simply making the dev a few more bucks, and saving thier ass in the process.

@DMeister: It shouldn't make a difference to people who only have PS3 and wants to play the game. If you have PS360 and got the 360 version, you're forced to get the other version too if you want to play the extra content and the "Dead Rising -scenario" i described may be an option for the dev too.
Well, it really doesn't matter to me personally, it's just that the developers and publishers have usually complained about extra restrains considering the HW manufacturers. But it does have certain benefits for gamers, i'm not denying that.

Ei Kiinasti.

Eikä Japanisti.

Vaan pannaan jalalla koreasti.

Nintendo games sell only on Nintendo system.

"Sony is simply making the dev a few more bucks, and saving thier ass in the process."

So Sony is like the paternal figure in all this?

NJ5 said:
"Sony is simply making the dev a few more bucks, and saving thier ass in the process."

I suppose so ;)

Around the Network
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:

I suppose so ;)

I see. I hereby quote you:

"Dizzy... too much spin."

NJ5 said:
DMeisterJ said:
NJ5 said:

I suppose so ;)

I see. I hereby quote you:

"Dizzy... too much spin."

lulz.

Well, who cares.

This got PS3 owners a good port with extra content of BioShock, an awesome game.

I'd be pretty happy with that result.

DMeisterJ said:
Well, who cares.

This got PS3 owners a good port with extra content of BioShock, an awesome game.

But if games don't sell after a delayed release why should they have even bothered?

Tease.

Squilliam said:
DMeisterJ said:
Well, who cares.

But if games don't sell after a delayed release why should they have even bothered?

It's all about the extra content. You see, if there was no extra content, Bioshock on PS3 would flop badly.

DLC on 360 GTA4? No big deal. Extra content for PS3 Bioshock? OMG BUY THE GAME.

;)