By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Carmack - Sony's restrictions on third-party ports

Squilliam said:
Hey this kind of thing could backfire on them. If the Xbox360 gains "Enough" market share, it could see more third party exclusives just from this fact alone.

Too bad it's been coughing up market share faster then... something that is fast.

This is good for PS3 owners, but I am not sure if it is a good way for Sony to win over 3rd party developpers.

Around the Network

....In a way, Sony is shooting themselves in the foot. Sure, last generation they were the market leader so no 3rd party would even think of not making a game for the ps2, but now? This could potentially drive off a small number of devs.

Maybe this is also the reason that the bigger devs preffer working on the ps3? A more reasonable relationship between devs and MS ?

Huh. Who would've thought that beggining anew in my real life would coincide with starting anew on vgchartz?

Any day now, the dollar will be worth less than 2 zloty......any day now.....and my life savings will be in total jepordy ;(.

Squilliam said:
Hey this kind of thing could backfire on them. If the Xbox360 gains "Enough" market share, it could see more third party exclusives just from this fact alone.

sure ,,

but what's the point in having crappy ports ,, no fun and the ps3 will look more miserable :)

Aj_habfan said:
Squilliam said:

Too bad it's been coughing up market share faster then... something that is fast.

This is good for PS3 owners, but I am not sure if it is a good way for Sony to win over 3rd party developpers.

Nintendo pissed off 3rd party developers and thus for a large part the PS1 was born. It doesn't make sense for them to do the exact opposite of that which put them in the number 1 position for 2 generations. If a developer is unsure about whether on not they can achieve parity on their game design, will they be tempted to forgo the expense/risk of a PS3 port?

Tease.

I really don't like the sound of that... it could mean the possibility of the exclusive JRPG's on the 360 are less likely to move onto the PS3.  Microsoft paying for timed exclusivity means more than I thought it did.  I'd prefer not having to own both HD consoles...

I don't like the sound of this.  I'm buying Eternal Sonata for the PS3 whether it has extra content or not, and I doubt the extras will be anything special anyway.

Around the Network
blackstar said:
Squilliam said:

sure ,,

but what's the point in having crappy ports ,, no fun and the ps3 will look more miserable :)

Dunno maybe they can give the excuse that Sonys first party games are frightenly good and that the Xbox360 doesn't have such scary games to go up against? xD

Besides, their position is only tenable whilst they either catch up really quickly with development tools or they maintain or shrink the market share gap. If they fail both, then some 3rd party games will sail away and PS3 users will miss out entirely.

Tease.

blackstar said:
Squilliam said:

sure ,,

I think you misunderstood what Carmack said. It's not about crappy ports, he said Sony won't allow a late quality port with no added content.

Maybe this is Sony's way to account for faster 360 development? "Either delay your 360 games, or make some extra content for PS3".

Doesn't seem like Sony is sending any love letters to third parties.

My Mario Kart Wii friend code: 2707-1866-0957

NJ5 said:
blackstar said:
Squilliam said:

sure ,,

I think you misunderstood what Carmack said. It's not about crappy ports, he said Sony won't allow a late quality port with no added content.

Maybe this is Sony's way to account for faster 360 development? "Either delay your 360 games, or make some extra content for PS3".

opps i did :S ,,

@ squilliam

i didn't fully understand what u wrote

in general : it all depends on ps3 sales ,, if they are good then the 3rd parties -even if they have to put extra content- will port the game and gain money , add content won't bethat big problem

but if the ps3 sales go down then : ps3 says: bye bye 3rd parties see u next generation :D

blackstar said:
NJ5 said:
blackstar said:
Squilliam said:

sure ,,

opps i did :S ,,

@ squilliam

i didn't fully understand what u wrote

in general : it all depends on ps3 sales ,, if they are good then the 3rd parties -even if they have to put extra content- will port the game and gain money , add content won't bethat big problem

but if the ps3 sales go down then : ps3 says: bye bye 3rd parties see u next generation :D

Which would be quite sad for all the people who just own PS3s.... :( All is fair in love and console wars I guess... But still, not very nice to be on the recieving end.

Tease.

sure :D
anyway it's silly to ask for extra content ,, they should've asked for better ports