By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Post Your Favorite Anime(s)!

Biene Maja FOR LIFE

BTW, you all have very good tastes in animes, but there is very little Akira love here, is it to obvious or don´t you like it ??? I wish I had more time to check all of them out but I only can whatch some, oh and what did you guys think of Afro Samurai ??? I know its not an anime but I really liked it, gimme bloody swordfights and Samuel L. Jackson and I´m happy.

P.S. I saw a anime movie on TV a while ago about a special police force in Japan fighting against a revolt, the unit looked a little like they guys from Killzone since they had gasmasks on, they also had full body plated armor and big miniguns to carry around, anybody know its name ??? I enjoyed the style of that one a lot. 

Around the Network
xbebop said:
marc said:

Berserk
Kenshin (minus the fillers)
12 Kingdoms (never completed unfortunately)

Elfen Lied
Naruto (minus the last 200 episodes)
Inu Yasha (minus the countless fillers)

Most everything else

Evangelion (could have been done a single 20-minute episode)
Code Geas (2nd worst characterization ive ever seen)
Tenjou Tenge (...most pointless anime ive ever seen save for fanservice)
Himikoden (worst characterization ive ever seen)

Evangelion could have been done in 20 minutes?

I'd like to see you get your way out of that one. But then again, you like Naruto and Inuyasha. -.-

Easily done. Some kid is given the choice & power to do decide humanities fate. Why he has the power? Well of course he is special...(gag me now please). He is also really good at piloting mechas, I guess because he is the "chosen one" not because he actually has any real skill or experience (even neo in matrix was deeper than shinji how bad is that?). He has personal problems and so does everyone around him. End of story. The rest is all fillers that don’t do a darn thing. No real characterization can be found nor is the story any more compelling than 70/80's robot cartoons like Robotech, Grandizer & Voltes V. No... even those had more interesting stories & characters. Now that I think about it, wasn’t there an Eva movie that was like 45 minutes long that basically summed up the whole series?

Naruto and Inu Yasha are done very well if you just take out the darn fillers or if you ignore the repetitiveness (due to their long run and popularity). The 1st season of each was very good. Just don’t watch them dubbed.

I just think it's amazing on how people can have such different opinions on their favorite animes.

For example like marc I don't like Evangelion, but unlike marc I'm not a huge fan of Inuyasha. He says don't count the fillers, but to me almost every episode feels like a filler. It does have it's moments, but overall it's not one I would put high on my list. Also, I thought the majority of the first season of Naruto was boring. I only got into the show after Naruto's fight with Haku, then realizing the show had potential(that is for another action anime).

Then there is that whole dub vs. sub crap. Personally I don't mind Naruto dubs. They could have done so much worse with the dubs, and some of the people doing Naruto dubs are actually very famous and good voice actors. Dubs vs. Subs is such an issue I think it would deserve it's own thread.

I already stated some of my fave anime's but I think I'll come back later and give the big list.

xbebop said:
Lanceuppercut said:

1. Outlaw Star
2. Gundam Wing
3. Yuyu Hakusho
4. Rurouni Kenshin
5. Pokemon (first season. Sue me).
6. Digimon season one (again, don't care what you think)
7. Dragonball Z (Pre-Buu. Everything after Cell games sucked)
8. Tenchi Muyo
9. Fullmetal Alchemist
10. Dragonball
11. dot Hack
12. Sonic X (SEGA fanboy. Can't help it)

Movies:
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away

Animes I hate:
Inuyasha
Naruto
Bleach
One Piece
Dragonball GT
Any Gundam anime that isn't Gundam Wing
FLCL
Bobobobobbobobobobobobobobobobobo (or whatever)

You have horrible taste if you hate FLCL

It's not his fault necessarily.  From his list I can tell he's a dub watcher.  Hence the reason he doesn't like the other Gundams, One Piece, Naruto, Bleach, etc.   If you chose to watch dub'd anime, I warn you that you will very rarely even be watching the same anime as everyone else.

People should look into some of the more obscure ones too.  Things like Detective Conan can be really fun, even if they get a bit repetitious. :) There are also really weird ones like Elfen Lied which can be very good (despite unnecessarily high levels of gore and violence).

diamuerto said:
I just think it's amazing on how people can have such different opinions on their favorite animes.

For example like marc I don't like Evangelion, but unlike marc I'm not a huge fan of Inuyasha. He says don't count the fillers, but to me almost every episode feels like a filler. It does have it's moments, but overall it's not one I would put high on my list. Also, I thought the majority of the first season of Naruto was boring. I only got into the show after Naruto's fight with Haku, then realizing the show had potential(that is for another action anime).

Then there is that whole dub vs. sub crap. Personally I don't mind Naruto dubs. They could have done so much worse with the dubs, and some of the people doing Naruto dubs are actually very famous and good voice actors. Dubs vs. Subs is such an issue I think it would deserve it's own thread.

I already stated some of my fave anime's but I think I'll come back later and give the big list.

I actually placed Naruto and Inu Yasha in the 50-80% range (above average). For some reason that doesnt show up in the quotes but ya those 2 have a lot of ups and downs with many fillers and tons of repetitiveness. They are good but they are far from great. Kenshin knew when to call it quits and so did other animes. Naruto should have ended long ago and IY was stretched much too far and should have been concluded. Meanwhile other animes were cut short... What I would give for more Berserk although I am not sure I like how much the manga has been stretched.

The problem with dubs is that the voice actors are almost never as good as the originals (I have not seen an exception to this yet although the 1st 2 seasons of Ranma came close). A lot of animes hire very skilled, high paid actors to do them but the dubs are usually done on low budgets. Other issues including emotions and cultural differences are very hard to translate since they may not exist in the dubed culture. I see dubs the same way readers see movies. Although you can make a movie based on the book, it will never be as good as the original and I think dubbing suffers in the same way.

Around the Network
naznatips said:
ceres said:
A lot of people here seem to have their anime viewing limited to Cartoon Network.

Anyway, in no particular order and off the top of my head so I'm likely missing stuff:

Azumanga Daioh
Gankutsuou
Macross
Full Metal Panic
Full Metal Alchemist (I watched this in a single night)
Kare Kano
I My Me Strawberry Eggs
Mai Otome (not a big fan of Hime though)
Maria sama ga Miteru

Lately I read more manga than watch anime though.
Angel Sanctuary
Bleach (will stop purchasing as soon as the first storyline gets finished... if it ever does)
Hot Gimmick
I's
Cain Saga/Godchild

I dunno, although a lot of people like some of the animes that have come to America (Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, etc.) that doesn't mean they are watching the (usually awful) dub'd versions. I've seend dozens anime series in my life, but that doesn't mean I only like the obscure ones.

Anyway, Azumanaga Daioh is hilarious. I haven't seen a few of yours, but overall some great picks. Gankutsuou is good also (very much an off-the-beaten path anime). I's is a great manga you don't see people mention very often. Bleach has an okay Manga, but honestly the anime for Bleach is better than the Manga. The storyline gets less interesting after the Soul Society Arc though unfortunately. Assuming you also liked Paranoia Agent based on your avatar.  It's cool to see so many people respond to this topic. :) 

Azumanga Daioh is one of the best anime I have ever seen.
If you like that kind of humor try lucky star on some point it looks some kind of the same humor.

I bought all the Full Metal Panic dvd's it was damned good but I don't love season 2.

And have someone saw Genshiken?

That one is damned good.

But I am not much of an anime watcher I am more a reader of manga :).
(Haves now 387 manga).

@Marc, I agree with you about not being able to translate culture and other stuff.  Most subs are better than dubs with the reasons you stated in mind.  The only show I can honestly say I prefer dub over sub is Cowboy Bebop.  Maybe it's because I saw the dub first and that's what I was familiar with, but Spike and Jet sound so right in english to me for some reason.  Another thing that got to me was that Spike isn't even Japanese(I think), so it's easy to see him without a Japanese voice.

meh, i don't really like the anime version of evangelion i prefer the live action one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcA9qsf4JDI&mode=related&search=
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwO1T4msBsU&mode=related&search=

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

it's a joke genius.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X