By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So... NPD overtracked Ps3 by 700K, while VGC was far closer?

Normally when we are closer than NPD, people jump for joy. But now, when NPD had Ps3 at 4.8M, and we had it far lower, and Sony said it was even lower, people don't say anything? http://www.digital-digest.com/blog/DVDGuy/2008/07/19/game-consoles-june-2008-npd-sales-figure-analysis/

Just seems odd to me.

PS: is the 4.1M shipped or sold?

Around the Network

NPD = USA
VGC = all america.

Neos - "If I'm posting in this thread it's just for the lulz."
Tag by the one and only Fkusumot!

Neos said:
NPD = USA
VGC = all america.

That make it worst(for NPD accuracy) not better.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

The NPD always causes confusion around here. Sales figures are never going to be an exact science after all

I hope my 360 doesn't RRoD
         "Suck my balls!" - Tag courtesy of Fkusmot

Neos said:
NPD = USA
VGC = all america.

And Sony released numbers for all America or USA? Either VGC is spot on, or slightly overtracked. NPD is either 15% off or 25% off.

Around the Network

Everyone is just used to the accuracy of vgchartz. It's no longer news when this site is a little more or less accurate than NPD.

colonelstubbs said:
The NPD always causes confusion around here. Sales figures are never going to be an exact science after all

That's true. I just hope that people remember that when they flame VGChartz because the PS3/360/Wii didn't sell as well as they optimistically hoped.

I want to hear Diomedes and Crazzy comment on this.

I don't need your console war.
It feeds the rich while it buries the poor.
You're power hungry, spinnin' stories, and bein' graphics whores.
I don't need your console war.

NO NO, NO NO NO.

What about the other console comparisons between NPD and VGChartz figures? Wii or X360 numbers?

Rock_on_2008 said:
What about the other console comparisons between NPD and VGChartz figures? Wii or X360 numbers?

the point is not VGC vs NPD as afterall both use similar sources to get their figures...but VGC/NPD Vs Actual Shipments. And it seems that VGC is closer than NPD to real numbers.

2008 year end sales (made in January 2008):

44.2 M 27.1 M 20.8 M

Considering we have no idea how many were shipped to America (Sony only gives worldwide) we can't know for sure.

What we can compare is NPD vs VGC vs Nintendo Wii Shipments.
If it is true that USA is 90% of Americas sales, we can be pretty sure NPD is undertracking the Wii. NPDs sales for USA only seem to indicate USA being 80% of Americas.