By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - So... NPD overtracked Ps3 by 700K, while VGC was far closer?

Lightning08 said:
VGchartz = closer to actual figures according to VGchartz forum posters but not according to the mass public or Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Wrong, VGC's estimate for the PS3 is factually and objectively more accurate than NPD according to Sony's own hard data.

To Each Man, Responsibility
Around the Network
Jlmadyson said:
Malachi said:
Neos said:
NPD = USA
VGC = all america.

That make it worst(for NPD accuracy) not better.

Wait why would that be, VGC has this for the PS3 in America until the first week in July(the end of NPDs count for June);

5,297,705(LTD)
We know from Canada NPD the exact amount of their LTD until June;
Now take that and add in the 4.8 million LTD US per NPD and you get= 5,287,600
Almost on the money. There is no overtracking or undertracking going on here.

Read my signature.  Sony reports Shipped to retailers, VGC reports sold to consumer, NPD reports sold to consumer.

Sqrl said:
Lightning08 said:
VGchartz = closer to actual figures according to VGchartz forum posters but not according to the mass public or Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

Wrong, VGC's estimate for the PS3 is factually and objectively more accurate than NPD according to Sony's own hard data.

Umm, do we even have Sony numbers for the United States?  If not how can you say VGC is more accurate than the NPD?

Anyways where is this 4.1 million PS3's coming from?  The only thing I see is the NPD had it at 4.1 million through April.

Sqrl said:
Jlmadyson said:
Malachi said:
Neos said:
NPD = USA
VGC = all america.

That make it worst(for NPD accuracy) not better.

Wait why would that be, VGC has this for the PS3 in America until the first week in July(the end of NPDs count for June);

5,297,705(LTD)
We know from Canada NPD the exact amount of their LTD until June;
Now take that and add in the 4.8 million LTD US per NPD and you get= 5,287,600
Almost on the money. There is no overtracking or undertracking going on here.

Read my signature.  Sony reports Shipped to retailers, VGC reports sold to consumer, NPD reports sold to consumer.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I'm only talking about sold numbers here between VGC and NPD and what I said was that if you add in NPD Canada and NPD US LTDs until the end of June you get almost the same exact number that VGC has as well.

I'm saying they are almost the same numbers give or take ~10k making VGC numbers as accurate.

The only thing I'm not sure of is where is this 4.1 million number is coming from?

There were 1.56 million PS3's shipped in the last quarter worldwide, for a launch-to-date total of 14.41 million. There was no regional breakdown provided. I don't know where your 4.1 million number came from, but it's very, very wrong. And VGC numbers match NPD numbers almost exactly so I don't see where you got that comparison from either. I'm locking this thread unless/until you can provide a better explanation.

Around the Network
Yakuzaice said:
Sqrl said:
Lightning08 said:

Umm, do we even have Sony numbers for the United States?  If not how can you say VGC is more accurate than the NPD?

Anyways where is this 4.1 million PS3's coming from?  The only thing I see is the NPD had it at 4.1 million through April.

If two people guess a number and person A guess higher than person B but we find out that even person B was too high...who was more accurate?

In any case, I'm looking into the numbers right now and there have been some mistakes made by those who have already posted in this thread, I'm trying to cut through some of it to get to the bottom of it but for right now I'm not 100% on that statement anymore, thats what I get for assuming people did their homework but I'm not going to stick to it out of pride.