By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does the PS3 remain as the only unhacked system? And for how long?

Firmware update.

Persons without argument hide behind their opinion

Around the Network

I don't know whether it is possible or not to steal PS3 games but ...

A 25GB image of a signed Blu-Ray disc is not exactly the type of thing people enjoy downloading, and when you have downloaded a game you have to spend a couple hundred dollars on a Blu-Ray burner and then spend 15 (or more) for every game you burn.

Give it a few more years when blu-ray becomes cheaper I think is possible.

So the inability to hack thing is actually another benefit of having blue ray?

B

mr.elite said:

Why ask a question when you ignore the answer?

Vaio - "Bury me at Milanello"      R.I.P AC Milan

In the 60's, people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird  and people take Prozac  to make it normal.

If laughing is the best medicine and marijuana makes you laugh

Is marijuana the best medicine?

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."

“If any creator has not played Mario, then they’re probably not a good creator. That’s something I can say with 100 percent confidence. Mario is, for game creators, the development bible.

Around the Network

Yeah, i want that to be true that electronic goods can't be hacked.

Yeah I suppose most people won't spend 2 days downloading a 25GB game. Also a huge reason why digital downloads have a long way to go before they can replace BD movies.
Make note current digital downloads are SD therefore anyone who intended to buy a BD movie won't be swayed because the reason they're thinking of going for a BD movie is to get HD. Digital downloads compete with DVD movies.

PSN: EDguila

PS3 library:  Motorstorm, Assasin's Creed, Orange Box, Uncharted:DF, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resistance:FOM, Rachet & Clank Future:ToD,

Near future: Folklore, SOCOM Confrontation, BioShock, Little Big Planet, Resistance 2.

Hasnt been hacked yet, but there have been a few people claiming to hack it. Alot the "Hello World" videos faked. Really when it comes down to it, just install Linux on the thing and do what ever you want.

I own all three current consoles and a great gaming rig, now thats out of the way.

This space Reserved for the Nuggets of Wisdom dropped by Bladeforce:

"Why post something like this when all it will get is PS3 owners blinded to reality replying? BOTH THE PS3 AND BLUE-RAY WILL NOT LAST 3 YEARS! TECHNOLOGY CHANGED TOO FAST!"

"is it Wii FIt that has sold as many as PS3's sold? Thats a LOL Look at the total sales of software is it just me that sees Nintendo titles hitting 10m+ and you say they arent making a difference? Another LOL!"

"Hell, with all the negative hype Sony spin, people just aren't interested cost is too high and to get the true HD experience (1080p, 7.1 surround) you will need a $1000+ system. THAT IS GOING TO DO IT IN A RECESSION! PS4 will not happen"

EdGuila said:
Yeah I suppose most people won't spend 2 days downloading a 25GB game. Also a huge reason why digital downloads have a long way to go before they can replace BD movies.
Make note current digital downloads are SD therefore anyone who intended to buy a BD movie won't be swayed because the reason they're thinking of going for a BD movie is to get HD. Digital downloads compete with DVD movies.

A compressed 720p/1080i movie will still be at a acceptably high image/audio quality at about 2GB/hour ... Not exactly tiny but is easily handled at 6Mb/s. At 15Mb/s you could do 1080p with very high image/audio quality; something which is (will soon be) possible from most cable companies to their customers.

mr.elite said:

Yes and no ...

Had the PS3 been more popular (like the PS2 was or the Wii is) hackers would have been focusing more on hacking it because there would be much more profit in it; we would probably have a mod chip and hacked firmware that allowed for unsigned images to be played off of the hard-drive by now.

There is also an unfortunate pattern that system that are easy to hack see higher hardware sales than unhackable systems; if this hackability doesn't kill software sales (as it did with the Dreamcast and PSP) it can actually be a good thing for attracting third party publishers. The fact that the Playstation and PS2 were easily hacked within months of being released didn't hurt them that much because (since they required a hardware modification) most people who owned these systems still bought games for them.

If you even are able to put in a mod chip to play pirated games, you can be easily banned from PSN including online gaming, videos, movies, DLC etc.

Online adds a lot to the gaming experience and it would be a huge trade-off to play pirated games instead of online capabilities.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyLhpUPNPIs

360 IS OPERATIONAL AFTER 37 DAYS!