By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - How does the PS3 remain as the only unhacked system? And for how long?

The cost of BD Burners are expensive and the cost of Blank BD are expensive that deters people from hacking the PS3. A tool to open up the PS3 costs about the same price as the PS3 console itself also another deterrent to hackers. Opening PS3 automatically voids the warranty. Hacking the Wii, X360, older consoles and the portables is really cheap.

Around the Network
horriblebastard said:
some chose the PS3 because of its lifespan

What is its lifespan, and how does it compare to the lifespans of the 360 and Wii? Please look into the future and provide me with this information! :P

Well, the PS3 has more advanced tech, so it will last longer. Sony is going to keep the PS3 arround as long as the PS2, as they want the BD market to be as big as it can be. And also, the Cell, which is a bitch to program for by the way, can do more once fully mastered.

PS3 is going to be Sony's most important console for at least another 5 years. MS will probably show up with a successor in two.

KZ2 said:
The cost of BD Burners are expensive and the cost of Blank BD are expensive that deters people from hacking the PS3.

That doesn't explain why it's unhacked. People have been trying to hack it since it was released, and they're still trying. The cost of a burner and blanks is a factor for people wanting to mod their own console if a hack is released, but that certainly doesn't deter the real hackers.

Prodigy_BE said:
horriblebastard said:
some chose the PS3 because of its lifespan

What is its lifespan, and how does it compare to the lifespans of the 360 and Wii? Please look into the future and provide me with this information! :P

Well, the PS3 has more advanced tech, so it will last longer. Sony is going to keep the PS3 arround as long as the PS2, as they want the BD market to be as big as it can be. And also, the Cell, which is a bitch to program for by the way, can do more once fully mastered.

PS3 is going to be Sony's most important console for at least another 5 years. MS will probably show up with a successor in two.

That's up to the consumers. Who in turn influence the developers. With currently the fewest consumers it would stand to reason to have the fewest developers. With it's bitch of a Cell. It may not be worth it in the long haul to master. If in the next year or two that the PS3 doesn't take a serious lead over the 360. It would be a wiser choise for Sony to bring out the PS4 and start with a better rep, easier platform. First impressions mean a lot and the PS3 had a really bad one. Remember it's the consumer that matter. Don't forget that. Consumers have spoken they didn't like $600 and the arrogance Sony displayed.

It's likely that next generation Bray gaming will become more commonly pirated. This gen the tech is too expensive.

Squilliam: On Vgcharts its a commonly accepted practice to twist the bounds of plausibility in order to support your argument or agenda so I think its pretty cool that this gives me the precedent to say whatever I damn well please.

This thread is so full of fail it isn't even funny.

Console Agnostic since 2001.

Around the Network

Hack as in MOD so that you can buy a game for under the 50-60 buck tag?

It's been done it's just that the game is expensive to make seeing as it comes from a Blu-Ray disk.

Besides, they0ll just do what Nintendo is doing, every update brings the closure to any games released before the update, meaning if your console uodates you won't be playing any pirated games.

Pete_Beast said:
Hack as in MOD so that you can buy a game for under the 50-60 buck tag?

It's been done it's just that the game is expensive to make seeing as it comes from a Blu-Ray disk.

Besides, they0ll just do what Nintendo is doing, every update brings the closure to any games released before the update, meaning if your console uodates you won't be playing any pirated games.

Actually pirated games work on Wii's with all firmware version. And even if Nintendo did do this, the creators of the Mod Chip would just update it.

colonelstubbs said:
I personally hate piracy. It just makes the rest of us suffer because we have to pay more. Damn pirates

I agree with you, but it's a chicken and egg origin topic really.

Gaming companies charge high prices for games saying that the increased piracy means they need to charge more to break even with fewer copies sold, but then the pirates say they do it because of how much the games cost these days and around it goes.

Neither side is right with this issue, and I doubt it'll ever be resolved.

Anyway on topic:

Yes PS3 has been "hacked" (i.e they've been able to mod it). Difference between 360, Wii and the PS3 is that the first two use DVD's which you can get for as low as $10AUD for a pack of 50, blu-ray DVD's are another story. By the time you've paid for the mod, bought a Blu-R burner and the discs, it'd be a while until it was "worth it" money wise.

@Pete_beast:

Not true. There's only been one game (that I can think of at the top of my head) that caused issues with modded wii's, and that was the update in Super Paper Mario, except it was unintentional because the update only bricked wii's if the copy was foreign (NTSC game on PAL Wii), not whether it was real or not. There have been games that don't work (something about firmware on the modchip) but they are always patched up by a simple update via disc.

I've been tempted to mod my wii, being a PAL wii owner, in particular an Australian PAL wii owner, I have to suffer through high priced games, later released dates and sometimes features being chopped off (Online from one of the MOH games). Not exactly a fan of paying $100 (RRP) for a game when I can go online and buy the US version for around $50.

Anyway, I think the best countermeasure is what MS does and that is banning XBL from modded 360's. Because so long as there are people willing to wait and let others be the guinea pig with firmware updates, you'll have pirates.