By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Realistic Graphics and Games

With all the talk going around, and the Kojima thread, I figured I would take time to state my view on what "realistic graphics" is.

My take is that they theme of a game doesnt have to be realistic or that a game even needs to have a real-world color pallet. I believe that games will have more definition to the characters. Each character will have its own weight, abilities, motion, and feel. The game could be as simple as an anime or as drawn as Okami but textures will be well placed and high-quality.

Kojima talked about how how the backgrounds of the next generation will be alive. I believe this is a good way to think. If you shoot a grenade into the distance,it shouldnt just blow up on an invisible wall, it should continue flying and maybe hit a tree and blow it up and start a fire. With that fire something comes along, mattering the game, and puts it out in real-time. Resistance 2 with the battleships is a great start since they are far in the distance but they slowly fly across the screen.

Realism doesnt have to mean real. Take a Final Fantasy game, there is no way a summon would be real but could anyone imagine Crysis level graphics attached to FFXIII. It would be basically be equal to a CG movie. As long as a game feels real then its a realistic game.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please
Amazing discussion about being wrong
Official VGChartz Folding@Home Team #109453

Around the Network

Creativity is really the only limiting factor if developers have the right hardware and an adquate budget. Although we are going to see the console makers do something about helping out the third-parties with getting budgets under control next generation.

I would expect a smaller comparative jump from this generation to the next (compared to last gen to this gen, which was a very big jump) simply because it would not be cost effective to do otherwise.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

Interface and style are the two most important things in a game to me.

Psychonauts and No More Heroes aren't the most graphically complex games ever released, but the interface is excellent for them. Psychonauts has a very smooth, customizable control(gamepad + Mouse = win), and No More Heroes wins on pure visceral feedback.

The style of these games also makes it so I don't worry about realizstic graphics. They establish themselves around a style, and the second you get wrapped up in a game, that style BECOMES that reality. It's only when that style is deviated from that the game loses reality. Provided a cohesive style is retained, it will always come across as being superior.
Crysis and other high level graphic games may be really nice to look at screenshots of, but every time I watch the physics engines run, it just makes me more aware of those small details that are still missing, like in teh physics demo for crysis in which thousands of barrels were dropped/exploded. All i could do was ask "why don't the barrels get damaged?"

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her

akuma587 said:
Creativity is really the only limiting factor if developers have the right hardware and an adquate budget. Although we are going to see the console makers do something about helping out the third-parties with getting budgets under control next generation.

I would expect a smaller comparative jump from this generation to the next (compared to last gen to this gen, which was a very big jump) simply because it would not be cost effective to do otherwise.

we see all console makers helping 3rd parties now. Sony has created an ever evolving chain of software tools, same with M$ and Nini They are all assisting in some form or another.

PC gaming is better than console gaming. Always.     We are Anonymous, We are Legion    Kick-ass interview   Great Flash Series Here    Anime Ratings     Make and Play Please

Grey Acumen said:

Psychonauts and No More Heroes aren't the most graphically complex games ever released, but the interface is excellent for them. Psychonauts has a very smooth, customizable control(gamepad + Mouse = win), and No More Heroes wins on pure visceral feedback.

The style of these games also makes it so I don't worry about realizstic graphics. They establish themselves around a style, and the second you get wrapped up in a game, that style BECOMES that reality. It's only when that style is deviated from that the game loses reality. Provided a cohesive style is retained, it will always come across as being superior.
Crysis and other high level graphic games may be really nice to look at screenshots of, but every time I watch the physics engines run, it just makes me more aware of those small details that are still missing, like in teh physics demo for crysis in which thousands of barrels were dropped/exploded. All i could do was ask "why don't the barrels get damaged?"

the barrels werent coded to have collision damage. The barrels were made to show bump physics versus collision. Crytek's engine is by far strong enough to have both on, it is jsut current hardware cant handle it.

Around the Network

I think it will be ninth generation when we see this come to reality. With MS and Sony next generation, I see more of a polish of this generation. Maybe, 1080p and 60 fps for all games. Ninth generation is when I think we really see more of this happen.

Also, I would like to see AI be taken to another level. For example, seeing NPCs get annoyed or change moods in RPGs.

"Naturally the common people don't want war: Neither in Russia, nor in England, nor for that matter in Germany. That is understood. But, after all, IT IS THE LEADERS of the country who determine the policy and it is always a simple matter to drag the people along, whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is TELL THEM THEY ARE BEING ATTACKED, and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. IT WORKS THE SAME IN ANY COUNTRY."  --Hermann Goering, leading Nazi party member, at the Nuremberg War Crime Trials 

Conservatives:  Pushing for a small enough government to be a guest in your living room, or even better - your uterus.

Well there's too kinds of realism. There's the realistic art style, and the realistic level of detail. All too often developers go for either both or none it seems, which ends up giving us games with a lot of nice detail but not much style, or at least not much variety in style.

DKII said:
Well there's too kinds of realism. There's the realistic art style, and the realistic level of detail. All too often developers go for either both or none it seems, which ends up giving us games with a lot of nice detail but not much style, or at least not much variety in style.

this is true, i can see things balancing out more as development costs drop. Next gen will be the next level of that balance as  hardware wont be much different so development wont cost as much as the last jump.

This thread really isn't about graphics.. it appears to be about physics, various kinds of simulations, and the level detail put into a game. Title is kinda misleading.. but yeah I don't know about all that.. adding all those little details would probably take a lot of time to put in.

ssj12 said:
Grey Acumen said:

the barrels werent coded to have collision damage. The barrels were made to show bump physics versus collision. Crytek's engine is by far strong enough to have both on, it is jsut current hardware cant handle it.

Doesn't make any difference what the reason is. The point is that it didn't. It's much like the uncanney valley, in that once you reach a certain level, all you notice are the things that aren't acting correctly, and there are millions of nuances that will contribute to that. Even if each individual nuance can be accounted for, you still have to have a development team that can pinpoint them all and teh funds necessary to actually work each and every one of them in.

This is why style is so important, because you can bypass this issue entirely. Rather than attempting to pass something off as mimicking reality, you literally redefine what reality is. Provided you maintain a consistent style, the players belief can be suspended to the point that no level of reality is needed.

Seppukuties is like LBP Lite, on crack. Play it already!

Currently wrapped up in: Half Life, Portal, and User Created Source Mods
Games I want: (Wii)Mario Kart, Okami, Bully, Conduit,  No More Heroes 2 (GC) Eternal Darkness, Killer7, (PS2) Ico, God of War1&2, Legacy of Kain: SR2&Defiance

My Prediction: Wii will be achieve 48% market share by the end of 2008, and will achieve 50% by the end of june of 09. Prediction Failed.

<- Click to see more of her