By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Dark Knight "influence" from Metal Gear Solid is shameful

And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this PS4... And this gaming PC. - The PS4 and the Gaming PC and that's all I need... And this Xbox 360. - The PS4, the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360, and that's all I need... And these PS3's. - The PS4, and these PS3's, and the Gaming PC, and the Xbox 360... And this Nintendo DS. - The PS4, this Xbox 360, and the Gaming PC, and the PS3's, and that's all *I* need. And that's *all* I need too. I don't need one other thing, not one... I need this. - The Gaming PC and PS4, and Xbox 360, and thePS3's . Well what are you looking at? What do you think I'm some kind of a jerk or something! - And this. That's all I need.

Obligatory dick measuring Gaming Laptop Specs: Sager NP8270-GTX: 17.3" FULL HD (1920X1080) LED Matte LC, nVIDIA GeForce GTX 780M, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3, 750GB SATA II 3GB/s 7,200 RPM Hard Drive

Around the Network
DTG said:
randomuser83 said:
SeriousWB said:

You do know the film is based on one Frank Miller's graphic novels right? It was published in the 1980 IIRC.

Funny I thought you'd be a decent addition to the community at first, first impressions heh..

Edit: Actually I was wrong, the storyline was based on The Long Halloween apparantly. Pusblished in '96. So if you're talking about Metal Gear Solid 4 you're way off, if the MGS series in general.. MGS was published in '98 I think.

I was going to point out the fact that Dark Knight was already ready to hit the theaters when MGS4 was released so yeah, probably the other way around, MGS copy Batman if ANYTHING. but mearly coincidental me thinks.

I never said TDK copied from MGS4 specifically, it stole ideas from the entire 10 years franchise of MGS.

Considering those ideas came from a batman comic that came out before MGS.... by your logic Kojima stole his influnces from batman. (not to mention those ideas had been done to death even before then.) The lines are so similar because Kojima... like many comics based writers... are pretty mediocre writers that fall into easy traps. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Long_Halloween aside from that... the themes you mention are what batman has ALWAYS been about. Outside of Adam West era batman.

"..."

"..."

"I...."

My god, words have failed me. This is...I mean...what the hell man? What the hell?

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

mrjuju said:
"..."

"..."

"I...."

My god, words have failed me. This is...I mean...what the hell man? What the hell?

Keep in mind this is the guy that thinks Kojima and Suda 51 are too of the most influential people in the century. To believe that i imagine you would need to imagine a bunch of connections.

Kasz216 said:
mrjuju said:
"..."

"..."

"I...."

Keep in mind this is the guy that thinks Kojima and Suda 51 are too of the most influential people in the century. To believe that i imagine you would need to imagine a bunch of connections.

I know his history, but this, this is a masterpiece. I thought I had heard all kinds of crazy things in my life, hell I've probably said things that would cause an average person's brain to melt, but this is such an epic level of wrongness and ineptitude that I am left with no verbal recorse. I mearly sit and shake my head...

Proud member of the Mega Mario Movement

Check out my daily drawings here and help keep me on task!

Around the Network

im starting to think this is a joke account atleast i hope

DTG said:
Onyxmeth said:

So if the Dark Knight influences in MGS 4 are disgraceful, then how disgraceful are the Escape From New York references in MGS as a series? The whole character's image, name, Naked Snake's eyepatch, the raspy voice are all taken from Kurt Russel's character Snake Plissken. How disgraceful! In fact Kojima himself must be disgraceful because he admits how influenced he is by motion pictures in his games. Wasn't Snatcher just a big Blade Runner ripoff and Policenauts was Lethal Weapon in space?

It's a good thing you ran from this topic quickly so you don't have to answer many replies that show the innacuracies in your arguments.

The difference is Kojima admits his influences and pays respect to its creators by doing so. The creator of TDK hasn't admitted that he took many of his ideas from Kojima and that's whats shameful here.

Let's just say he actually was inspired by the MGS series. How do you know he didn't admit to it? He could have told plenty of people, but maybe just not publicly. Is there supposed to be a press release to name all influences involved in making a motion picture? Is it required for all influences to become public knowledge? Usually it's all up to an interviewer asking the right questions. Do you honestly think Kojima made a big presentation of announcing Escape From New York was the main influence behind Solid Snake or is it possible interviewers picked up on it and asked him the question directly?

Secondly, you obviously don't read comics. Each Batman movie is inspired by it's source material, and you can find every stolen theme inside of these same comics, which all came out before the Metal Gear Solid series started.

Tag: Became a freaking mod and a complete douche, coincidentally, at the same time.

colonelstubbs said:
DTG you really are the creator of the best threads.

What next?

'Spiderman 2 was a rip off of The Little Mermaid! Doctor Octopus is BLATANTLY a copy of Ursula!'

=p You know that Doctor Octupus the character exists longer than Ursula right?

If I am right the original 'The Little Mermaid' from Hans Anderson didn't had a witch who looks like Octopus. (I can be wrong though).

konnichiwa said:
colonelstubbs said:
DTG you really are the creator of the best threads.

What next?

'Spiderman 2 was a rip off of The Little Mermaid! Doctor Octopus is BLATANTLY a copy of Ursula!'

=p You know that Doctor Octupus the character exists longer than Ursula right?

If I am right the original 'The Little Mermaid' from Hans Anderson didn't had a witch who looks like Octopus. (I can be wrong though).

That's the point, it's like saying Kojima wrote the whole MGS series before Batman even existed! o_o

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!

DTG said:

After having watched this overrated but mediocre movie it's hard not to be beaten over the head with all the apparent coincidential similarities to MGS.

Batmans raspy voice, which came out quite forced seemed like a nod to David Hayters Solid Snake as the two characters sounded essentially alike (besides the fact that SS sounds much more natural having done this voice for over a decade)

The thematics and pseudo philosophies of TDK also quite overtly borrowed from MGS. The themes of chaos, control, manipulation, heroes, anarchy, etc were simply too numerous to be considered merely nods to MGS. Much like The Matrix practically ripped off Ghost in the Shell (and did a poor job at that) TDK quite shamefully borrowed almost complete lines from Kojima's games. Some of the lines of being a hero (or not being one), of chaos and control were so similar to dialogue used in MGS that it felt almost distracting while watching the movie.

That TDK made such shallow use of Kojima's deep thematics was ever so aggrivating, not to mention the fact that I had not see the director or writer admit to MGS serving as an obvious influence is what makes this all the more shameful. 

Besides everything else wrong with your post which have already been mentioned, I have a problem with the bolded statement if you are taking the stance of a learned critic of narrative-based media. Your use of the word theme seems quite misplaced. I would not worry about this if it were anyone else, but since you seem to believe you know so much about storytelling, let this link introduce you to what a theme actually is.

If you want to note similarities in the themes of the stories and not the subjects, please do so correctly, since the same subjects have almost always been brought up in previous stories.