By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - The Real Reason Why most Dont have a PS3?

forevercloud3000 said:

Friend: It has no games!

Me: it has fewer games.

Friend: 360 has Halo, Cod4, Bioshock,Madden,Blue Dragon, Bad Company, UT3, etc...

Me: Ok...Mediocre,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,Mediocre,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,etc...

Me:And PS3 has MGS4, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword, when It comes to exclusives PS3 is unmatched really.

Friend:PS3 Costs MORE!

Me:Sigh! Ok,PS3 is $400-500, right? and the bottom 360 is 270.

for a bottom teir 360 for 300 u dont get a harddrive which means...

120 for a 20GB hardrive

Seeing as the PS3 has BluRay, to match that u need HDDVD....

another 200 bucks, but i dont advise seeing as HDDVD has already LOST!

and dont forget ur controllers use batteries....

So expect to shell out 5 bucks every so often or buy the Play and Charge kit for 30 bones

Lastly in order to play online it costs 50 bucks a yr, meaning if u had it for at LEAST 2 yrs it comes to 100 bucks. and another 100 for a wifi adapter if so need it.

Total for a 360 bundle that rivals the PS3's package, roughly in the 800 range.

Friend: So?

Me: The Fact that the PS3 comes with a built in Wifi, rechargable controllers, Blu Ray player to make it future proof, and free online gaming all for a substatially lower price point than what Microsoft in actuallity is charging? Priceless!

Friend:.........

Customer:Um....Can I get a PS3 then?

Your arguments for the PS3 are weak.  Those "exclusives" you speak of are below average games and are not something an average person would like. (exception maybe MGS)

As for the price, $300 for a system is not bad; If I wanted a PS3, I would have to dish out at least $400, and that's if I want that crappy one with no BC. As a gamestop worker I am surprised you didn't hear of the upcoming 360 price drop due to the 60gb units coming out.

Blu Ray? Give me a break; that is no reason to buy a GAMING system. So what if HDDVD lost? HD is not important right now, especially since most ppl don't own an HDTV. It's not standard so it not important.

Online Play? Xbox live has exclusive DL packs for those "mulit platform" games. The gaming community on live is also more diverse.

What it come down to is that gamestop just wants to push the PS3 because it is a bigger sale per unit, as opposed to let's say, a Wii. You never hear them tell you that you should buy a Wii because that is not profitable or as profitable.

Official member of the Xbox 360 Squad

Around the Network
WarmachineX said:
forevercloud3000 said:

Friend: It has no games!

Me: it has fewer games.

Friend: 360 has Halo, Cod4, Bioshock,Madden,Blue Dragon, Bad Company, UT3, etc...

Me: Ok...Mediocre,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,Mediocre,MultiPlat,MultiPlat,etc...

Me:And PS3 has MGS4, Ratchet and Clank, Uncharted, Warhawk, and Heavenly Sword, when It comes to exclusives PS3 is unmatched really.

Friend:PS3 Costs MORE!

Me:Sigh! Ok,PS3 is $400-500, right? and the bottom 360 is 270.

for a bottom teir 360 for 300 u dont get a harddrive which means...

120 for a 20GB hardrive

Seeing as the PS3 has BluRay, to match that u need HDDVD....

another 200 bucks, but i dont advise seeing as HDDVD has already LOST!

and dont forget ur controllers use batteries....

So expect to shell out 5 bucks every so often or buy the Play and Charge kit for 30 bones

Lastly in order to play online it costs 50 bucks a yr, meaning if u had it for at LEAST 2 yrs it comes to 100 bucks. and another 100 for a wifi adapter if so need it.

Total for a 360 bundle that rivals the PS3's package, roughly in the 800 range.

Friend: So?

Me: The Fact that the PS3 comes with a built in Wifi, rechargable controllers, Blu Ray player to make it future proof, and free online gaming all for a substatially lower price point than what Microsoft in actuallity is charging? Priceless!

Friend:.........

Customer:Um....Can I get a PS3 then?

Your arguments for the PS3 are weak.  Those "exclusives" you speak of are below average games and are not something an average person would like. (exception maybe MGS)

Um apparently you have never played them, and if THOSE are weak than majority of the 360 "Exclusives are weak by that same definition. Resistance, Uncharted, Heavenly Sword, Motorstorm, Warhalk, Ratchet and Clank, MGS4 are just as Popular as the 360 Exclusives, Mass Effect, Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon(Which was Terrible might I add), Perfect Dark(equally as terrible), etc. Most of the 360 exclusives are shovel ware as far as sales go, they sell enough to get by. Also many of those said exclusives are actually times (Bioshock anyone?)

As for the price, $300 for a system is not bad; If I wanted a PS3, I would have to dish out at least $400, and that's if I want that crappy one with no BC. As a gamestop worker I am surprised you didn't hear of the upcoming 360 price drop due to the 60gb units coming out.

Valid but that is not my point. A customer will litterally walk up to me and say something like "Thats way too exspensive, get me a 360!" So Im like ok whatever. I get him the 360 and the man will buy a wifi adaptor(100) a play and charg kit(30) and a yr sub for Live(50) on top of the standard systems price. This is in contrast that if he baught a PS3 he would have been getting basically the same thing. And I kno that 360 has many exclusives but the MultiPlat stuff is what sells the most(COD4,Battlefield,Assassin's Creed,UT3,etc) The customer tend to find one of these as their first buy and Im like "THATS ON PS3 TOO!!!" And to top that off the 360 has a 30% fail rate, ludacris! I would NEVER get a ps system WITH THAT KIND OF FAIL RATE! So it comes down too the PS3 was the better deal, yet the customer just did not know it....

Blu Ray? Give me a break; that is no reason to buy a GAMING system. So what if HDDVD lost? HD is not important right now, especially since most ppl don't own an HDTV. It's not standard so it not important.

Im not talking about HD blah blah, thats further down in the timeline. Im talking pure storage space. Games can be bigger. I personally am a huge RPG buff and the longer and prettier, the better. Take Lost Odyssey, standard RPG on 360. I think its like 5 discs??? If it had been on PS3 it would of been on one. ANd the 360 fanboys yell "Well I dont mind swapping discs!"  which is not even the point. The point is if that WHOLE game can fit on ONE BluRay, what if the game was on 5 BLURAYS isntead. That game would be enormous, and in return, better.

Online Play? Xbox live has exclusive DL packs for those "mulit platform" games. The gaming community on live is also more diverse.

The DLC has proven to be useless. Just as 360 owners can DL content for games like Oblivion, the PS3 version can have them built in Standard. Now MS does get exclusive content for paying companies hansomely but I still dont approve of their bargaining method with companies anyway. The GTA4 DLC has yet to see the light of day and I really dont believe it is going to  get customers to repurchase seeing as in the last month GTA has been coming back by the bucket load. The game has lost its charm on the 360's side. Majority of the returns are on the 360's system, now y is that? It could be because the 360's install of the game was larger, but not by that much to warrent the ratio 6:1. Simply put the fanbase was never really there for the 360. The game was hyped, 360 users baught it, fell out of love with it after a little while while the PS3 fans kept it.

What it come down to is that gamestop just wants to push the PS3 because it is a bigger sale per unit, as opposed to let's say, a Wii. You never hear them tell you that you should buy a Wii because that is not profitable or as profitable.

And I assure you that is just not true. I am deemed in house Sony guy of my store seeing as everyone else is so Pro MS! NOw I AM a salesman so I have a salesman like approach to my reasoning but i am NOT BLIND. I simply have spot countless flaws in all three areas and simply must point them out. Wii doesnt need any employee to sell it anyway, they are good All by themselves. Obviously seen by the Wii Sells....

Greatness Awaits

PSN:Forevercloud (looking for Soul Sacrifice Partners!!!)

forevercloud3000, can you admit that the reason most people don't buy a PS3 is NOT because everyone is clueless and mindless, and listen to your friend? People have different tastes and reasons.

obviously there are people on here that are not clueless, and have chosen the Xbox 360. That's not to say there is any problem with getting the PS3 instead. I'm glad you like your gaming system, enjoy. A reasonable gamer is a fan of gaming right? Not just a specific piece of hardware, and therefore excluding their ability to play many wonderful games on other systems. So why are you trying to tell everyone that chose another system than the one you like, that they are mindless and ignorant?

I'm not slamming your system of choice. But don't be telling me the only reason I bought, and highly enjoy a different system, is because I mindlessly follow the crowd. Come on man

Tag: Hawk - Reluctant Dark Messiah (provided by fkusumot)

Hawk said:

forevercloud3000, can you admit that the reason most people don't buy a PS3 is NOT because everyone is clueless and mindless, and listen to your friend? People have different tastes and reasons.

obviously there are people on here that are not clueless, and have chosen the Xbox 360. That's not to say there is any problem with getting the PS3 instead. I'm glad you like your gaming system, enjoy. A reasonable gamer is a fan of gaming right? Not just a specific piece of hardware, and therefore excluding their ability to play many wonderful games on other systems. So why are you trying to tell everyone that chose another system than the one you like, that they are mindless and ignorant?

I'm not slamming your system of choice. But don't be telling me the only reason I bought, and highly enjoy a different system, is because I mindlessly follow the crowd. Come on man

I never SAID ALL 360 owners are like that. Just a lump sum of which I am forced to deal with on a day to day basis. Sum are actually capable of making a well thought out decision and it just simply is not the same as mine, understandable. Yet others just.....arent....

I never meant to offend anyone, I was just putting my thoughts out there. I come to find most purchases are made prematurely. Yet that doesnt mean urs were. Sry If you mistook my passion for gaming as a means to attack 360 owners, that was not my intention.

EDIT: And I still recognize that the PS3 is simply out of ppl's price range as a valid decision making device. I just dont particularly like it when they try to spin it as something else instead of admitting it...

Greatness Awaits

forevercloud3000 said:
Hawk said:

Whoa there sparky. Show us some links, or resources that you pull up these facts. Personally, most of the gamers I know have a Wii, and then some also own a 360 or PS3.

There is a certain group of people that are resorting to "Wii doesn't count" now, because they have no other valid reason to understand why people don't see things the way they do and actually choose Wii over another system, or even in addition to another system. You seem to be in this group.

I am certainly not in that particular group. I just tell it like it is. I completely admit that the Wii is SPANKIN 360 and PS3 both in a fair match. Yet this does not change the fact that the Wii is very much a "FAD" for lack of a better term. It is extremely fun for all of two seconds for "MOST". Some cant get enough of it, yet still many find it gimmicky after their biggest titles have past.

http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6479280.html

Wii numbers but only those of 21 and under....

And here is one article on all the console userbase but it seems to be at tad tilted upwards with no bracket for younger ppl....

http://www.gamedevelopment.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=19128

and some of my research is done by myself from my job and insight on the market that GameStop supplies. They tell us these sort of things to better our ability to sell to propper interests.If I find some of the other articles I will send them to u.

The problem with those surveys is that you are not reading them correctly.

Yes the Wii is the most popular in that age range... but it means in comparison to PS3 and 360.
The Wii still sells more units to teens or 20 somethings than it does to under 10s.

----
What your first link proved is that Wii is more popular than PS360 among all children between 8 and 17 (it came first in all categories except for Males between 14 and 17)

What your second link proved is very little because not much info was given about the actual sample.... but it's results showed Wii than was more popular PS360 for 18-34 while 360 was most popular for 35-44, and PS3 was more poular for whatever the next age range was (probably 45-54)

None of that proves where the majority of Wii owners sit, because it is only comparing to PS360 (which it handily beats in most ranges) it doens't show a comparison between different ranges of Wii alone.
----

Perhaps I should re-post my last post again (with the sales in) to prove how wrong you are.

----

Oh and in regards to your "purchases are decided prematurely" comment... that also happens to PS3 too, in fact it more than likely happens to the Wii the least, because it is the least confusing to understand what it does.... wheras PS3 and 360 have too many SKUs with varying options, there have been reports of people buying PS3s thinking they can play PS2 games, or buying a core 360 and not being able update the firmware.

Around the Network

Well, sure. I believe most people that buy a gaming system are probably uniformed, and are probably swayed by someone else on what to get.

I bet the guys at the Game Stop next to me, who are total Xbox 360 fans, would probably say they see most people buy a PS3 because they are uninformed and just listening to what someone else is telling them. I should ask them tonight.

And when either of you sway someone to get the system you prefer, I bet you don't see it as the customer bought the system just because someone told them to. Like you see it when they buy the console you don't prefer. Instead, I bet you each see it as that you informed them.

TWRoO said:

Oh and in regards to your "purchases are decided prematurely" comment... that also happens to PS3 too, in fact it more than likely happens to the Wii the least, because it is the least confusing to understand what it does.... wheras PS3 and 360 have too many SKUs with varying options, there have been reports of people buying PS3s thinking they can play PS2 games, or buying a core 360 and not being able update the firmware.

Heh, TWRoO beat me to it.

Those are just two samples I quickly pulled off the interweb for you when u asked for proof. Majority of my proof stems from Gamestop's market research which I CANNOT show u for obvious reasons. There is some proof of this phenomenon on the web tho. If ur research has proven different than please show me. New knowledge is always welcomed

This is also based on what I have seen personally. I work fairly often in Gamestops in my area. Gamestop is the main distributer of video games US wide so I think we pretty much have the jist on whats going on(not to sound pompous). Every time some one walks into my store asking for a Wii it is usually....

• A woman
  • 30-40 age bracket
  • looking for a wii fit as well, and after conversing with them find out they bought it more for as a fitness regiment than a gaming system
  • or is a older woman or man looking to buy it for a much smaller child.

I also tend to see....

• people after purchasing a Wii, back in the store looking to buy some more games for their system
  • usually dissappointed by the selection
  • usually settle for what ever they can get their hands on(the point of shovel ware being so prominent on the Wii)
  • Find that the Wii's Flagship Titles are few and VERY FAR between (Mario Galaxy, Mario Strykers, Wii Sports, Wii Play, Smash Bros, etc)
  • these games are and foreever will be exclusive to Wii and Nintendo yet they are constant rehashes of the same thing (Name some qaulity wii titles that do not have Mario anywhere in it, or better yet find one that just dont have his name in the title)

Greatness Awaits

Reason why people don't buy PS3's
A) To avoid crazy people like you

B) They're too young.. according to latest studies the average PS3 user is over 44!! Wow.. I wish I could play some CoD4 with my dad..
http://www.joystiq.com/2008/06/23/new-study-compares-360-ps3-consumers/

C) The console is too expensive to play sub par 360 ports or occasionally enhanced ports that have been on the market for months

D) None of the exclusives until MGS4 have ever been AAA quality

E) Don't care about Blu Ray

Ok, maybe "A" isn't a real reason...

Proud Member of GAIBoWS (Gamers Against Irrational Bans of Weezy & Squilliam)

all my friends sounded like that at one time. But after a sit down i have convinced 7 of my friends to sell there 360's and get ps3's. Now they cant be happier

Owner Of: PS1 PS2 PS3 PSP NES GB GBA GC WII XBOX